Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...and where are FXpansion now? Not a good example.

As for other DAWs, it's possible VST3 may cause issues, but I suspect mostly it's the plugin coding itself rather than VST3. Jeez, I use Cubase and even today there are plugins that crash it. That was the case for VST2 also, which kinda makes it likely nothing to do with the protocol itself. And I don't hear boards full of whining about VST3 crashing various hosts. For those that want CLAP, good on them, I hope it works out. But there's a fair bit of hyperbole going on here...

No plugin ever crashed before VST3. Crashing is something invented by Steinberg's evil engineers. It's part of their master plan.

As for CLAP plugins, no one really knows if they crash, because they'd have to use them first. Even if you had an elusive CLAP plugin, you'd still need to find someplace to stick it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Clap will never catch on, that is a mathematical fact.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 pm
Music Engineer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 amIt took quite a long while for them to support LV2 as well - but finally, they did
And what good did it do for them? I'm not seeing an avalanche of LV2 plugins built with JUCE, to be honest...
It improved their product significantly. But yeah - there indeed don't seem to be a lot of JUCE-based LV2 plugins out there. Maybe the format has still some sort of reputation of being a niche, Linux-only thing.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

kritikon wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:28 pm ...and where are FXpansion now? Not a good example.
What kind of fool would insinuate that Angus Hewitt is a bad engineer by knocking the company he sold to Roli? Rhetorical question I know, but really? that guy and a few others there were and are super solid engineers by anyones standard. He's working with FL Studio now, and I'm sure there will be great things in their pipeline.
As for other DAWs, it's possible VST3 may cause issues, but I suspect mostly it's the plugin coding itself rather than VST3. Jeez, I use Cubase and even today there are plugins that crash it. That was the case for VST2 also, which kinda makes it likely nothing to do with the protocol itself. And I don't hear boards full of whining about VST3 crashing various hosts. For those that want CLAP, good on them, I hope it works out. But there's a fair bit of hyperbole going on here...
Are you on Windows? I ask because I regularly use three DAWs that load VST 2, VST 3 and AU plugins. All three are prone to having a particular plugin format fail evaluation, and it's not AU or VST 2. Why does this always need repeating to you folks? it's the hosting of plugins that having Steinberg (you know the makers of your DAW?), be in charge of, that causes some issues for other DAWs. There's so many examples of this even outside of VST. When the Audio Unit plugin format was introduced Apple tweaked without letting MOTU and others know, the AU spec to help Logic host AU, so upon initial release all DAWs besides Logic were crashing when AU's loaded. They have all sorts of incentive to fix it and help other DAWs work well with AU, but a DAW developer flatly does not. I'm Sure Steinberg have hosting documentation, but I'm also sure there isn't half the incentive to help as there is with AU and Apple, (the fact U-He exists is proof of that), and there are clear reasons for this.

Music Engineer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:24 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 pm
Music Engineer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 amIt took quite a long while for them to support LV2 as well - but finally, they did
And what good did it do for them? I'm not seeing an avalanche of LV2 plugins built with JUCE, to be honest...
It improved their product significantly. But yeah - there indeed don't seem to be a lot of JUCE-based LV2 plugins out there. Maybe the format has still some sort of reputation of being a niche, Linux-only thing.
Or maybe it's just completely superfluous and irrelevant to the plugin market?

I will make the bet than CLAP plugins will reach market saturation in less time than VST3 did, it took the damn thing like 12 years to reach critical mass.

Or in another way: Ableton will adopt CLAP in less time that what it took it to adopt VST3 (11 years).
dedication to flying

Well, major plugin developers adopted VST3 quite quickly.
It was mostly small indie developers who didn't.
And I think CLAP will be the opposite.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:04 am
Are you on Windows? I ask because I regularly use three DAWs that load VST 2, VST 3 and AU plugins. All three are prone to having a particular plugin format fail evaluation, and it's not AU or VST 2. Why does this always need repeating to you folks? it's the hosting of plugins that having Steinberg (you know the makers of your DAW?), be in charge of, that causes some issues for other DAWs. There's so many examples of this even outside of VST. When the Audio Unit plugin format was introduced Apple tweaked without letting MOTU and others know, the AU spec to help Logic host AU, so upon initial release all DAWs besides Logic were crashing when AU's loaded. They have all sorts of incentive to fix it and help other DAWs work well with AU, but a DAW developer flatly does not. I'm Sure Steinberg have hosting documentation, but I'm also sure there isn't half the incentive to help as there is with AU and Apple, (the fact U-He exists is proof of that), and there are clear reasons for this.
Yeah I'm on Windows. Seems like Mac is your problem, not VST3... :hihi:

rod_zero wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:50 am Or in another way: Ableton will adopt CLAP in less time that what it took it to adopt VST3 (11 years).
Ableton may never implement either format (correctly.)

kritikon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:01 am
machinesworking wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:04 am
Yeah I'm on Windows. Seems like Mac is your problem, not VST3... :hihi:
I'm on Mac with no VST3 problems.
Maybe he should change his name to machinesNOTworking :help:

Angus working hard at a VST3 compatible host company these days.

What’s their clap roadmap?

(I’m not still bitter about Geist and Etch)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:49 am Angus working hard at a VST3 compatible host company these days.

What’s their clap roadmap?
CLAP support already in the latest beta.

jamcat wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:00 am Well, major plugin developers adopted VST3 quite quickly.
It was mostly small indie developers who didn't.
false.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

kritikon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:01 am Yeah I'm on Windows. Seems like Mac is your problem, not VST3... :hihi:
No problem at all with AU. It's like you people never think about what horse you're willing to die on?
With VST3, there are plenty that work correctly, we're discussion the merits of the format, at least I thought that was what was going on? but internet d*ck wagging is a real thing.

Return to “Effects”