I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:20 pm
mitchiemasha wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:48 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm "I bought too many soft synths"

I don't understand these strange words
This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x
Nope, I don't understand what you're saying! But hard bass sounds interesting!
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 pm

This kind of sums it up. Go ahead buy more, keep on buying until you own every last 1 that exists.
One of the things I keep on thinking about is solutions like Komplete Kontrol, while far from perfect the idea is to take your entire library and make all presets sortable, so you can just treat everything you own like a workstation synth. It's a great idea no matter how mediocrely it's implemented. It's how I treat 99% of the synths I own, I have a few hardware and software synths I always turn to, then I treat the rest like a workstation. It takes choice paralysis off the table really.

Now if NI would get off their ass and clean up their selection stupidity, 350 choices for hard bass with no ability to select another descriptive term isn't that helpful. :x
Komplete Kontrol takes all your softsynths and in theory filters them down, but the filters are too little if you own a good amount of soft synths.

Hard Bass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu24_PURGdQ

I once bought too many soft synths. I will never forget that day.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 pm
mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:26 pm

Komplete Kontrol takes all your softsynths and in theory filters them down, but the filters are too little if you own a good amount of soft synths.

Hard Bass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu24_PURGdQ
KK won't be taking any of my softsynths, the hole idea makes me shiver! i'll take a lot more Hard Bass though, we call it Donk! making up a large % of the bounce scene
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 am

That's the moment where I need to point you towards avenger 2 and spire, 2 sublime sounding softsynths.

But I clearly understand your point.
I stayed a long time within reason studios ecosystem young with their "true to life" synths emulation.

Then I discovered Bitwig. And I decided against hardware and hardware emulation, but it is just my tastes, I fully understand that your could feel opposite.
I'm sure those synths are great, but I can't afford them anyway. It just takes a little too long to work with those one size fits all vst's and I'm not sure that's for me, that's the main reason I don't use Zebra.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 pm I once bought too many soft synths. I will never forget that day.
Pray tell.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

"Too many soft synths".
That's a crazy variable :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.

There's another two "too many" in my shopping basket right now ...
I've also bought too many hardware synths :ud:

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 amDon't you consider phase plant proved you wrong?
Mostly, PP is hugely inefficient and the results generally underwhelm, because it doesn't sound good enough. Also, if you deconstruct most presets, you see massive over-complication and needless redundancy. Any useful patch I've found, I've been able to reduce to at least half the number of modules without noticeably affecting the output sound. People seem to just keep adding shit to it until they get what they want but they never go back and tidy up the mess they've made. It's pretty much the last synth I own that I'd think about firing up. OTOH, I use the kHs effects quite regularly because they are simple and easy.
gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 amthe j6 has excuses as it's based on analogue circuitry but I can see no reason for accepting its restrictions in the software age.
And what, exactly would those restrictions be? I can only think it's down to your lack of imagination and/or skill.
Last edited by BONES on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Can you share the patch? :hyper:

liquidsound wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 am
VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm Just got back from helping ghostwhistler clean up his bedroom closet.
Oh for f**ks sake. Can't you just AI the damn thing???
8)

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 amDon't you consider phase plant proved you wrong?
Mostly, PP is hugely inefficient and the results generally underwhelm, because it doesn't sound good enough. Also, if you deconstruct most presets, you see massive over-complication and needless redundancy. Any useful patch I've found, I've been able to reduce to at least half the number of modules without noticeably affecting the output sound. People seem to just keep adding shit to it until they get what they want but they never go back and tidy up the mess they've made. It's pretty much the last synth I own that I'd think about firing up. OTOH, I use the kHs effects quite regularly because they are simple and easy.
gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 amthe j6 has excuses as it's based on analogue circuitry but I can see no reason for accepting its restrictions in the software age.
And what, exactly would those restrictions be? I can only think it's down to your lack of imagination and/or skill.
I don't disagree.
Phase Plants presets are indeed far far from my favourites.
Also phase plant does sound thinner that say Spire or Avenger 2 (and I have no idea why, maybe it is just an impression due to the presets).

BUT

Phase plant is not to be used to tweak presets. Phase plant really shines in its easiness to put on complex sounds from scratch and in particular audio rates modulations (so you have an unmatched control over FM and RM, AM) and per voice effects, again in an hard to beat easiness.
Finally, it's routing options are insane and again super intuitive.

As per the sound quality, I do often end up with a bit more EQ or putting a sub layer with a sine in order to increase the low end and it is all fixed.

VOODOO U wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:25 am
liquidsound wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 am
Oh for f**ks sake. Can't you just AI the damn thing???
8)
Analog Insanity!

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm i'll take a lot more Hard Bass though, we call it Donk! making up a large % of the bounce scene
DJ Blattyman is my personal favorite, just wish his country wasn't f8cking up Ukraine, but I'm sure he's not happy about it either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rPGfJfneHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlUU8l8j5M

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”