Debating: MuLab vs. Tracktion 13

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 pm
jens wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm If I am not entirely mistaken, Mutools still doesn't even have loop-recording yet (not to mention some kind of comping/take-management)
You are entirely mistaken.
MuLab actually has quite clear and elegant implementations.
How so? Here it still just records a single long continous clip (i.e. if I record four takes over a four bar loop, what I end up with is one 16bar long clip) - I also didn't find any setting that would change this behaviour... :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 pm
jens wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm If I am not entirely mistaken, Mutools still doesn't even have loop-recording yet (not to mention some kind of comping/take-management)
You are entirely mistaken.
MuLab actually has quite clear and elegant implementations.
How so? Here it still just records a single long continous clip (i.e. if I record four takes over a four bar loop, what I end up with is one 16bar long clip) - I also didn't find any setting that would change this behaviour... :?
from the MuTools Docs:

"When you have recorded events, e.g. by playing on your MIDI keyboard or tweaking plugin parameter knobs, MuLab will check whether there is a selected sequence clip with a matching target module.

If not, then the new recorded events are put on a new track in a new sequence clip.
But if a sequence clip is selected, you get these options:

Merge: The new recorded events are merged into the existing sequence.
New Clip: The new recorded events are put into a new sequence.
Overwrite: The new recorded events overwrite all events in the existing sequence.
Punch: The new recorded events are put into the existing sequence, but in such a way that all existing events that fall in the recorded time area are overwritten, the other events are kept.
Cancel: The new recorded events are trashed."

https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... rding.html

also see 'Sequence Loop' in:
https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... ditor.html

the default Preference is to "Auto Loop New Sequences"

also search 'loop' in the Shortcuts to speed workflow. Just pick a Shortcut & tap a keyboard or controller key to map.

also many r-click context menus
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Waitaminute, regarding Mulab, I can target any clip to any rack module? So I can have one track with multiple recorded clips and target each clip to exclusive rack modules??

Please note the MuLab developer provides official support here:
viewforum.php?f=79
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Those are only event recording, not samples, no? Eg no comping.

pekbro wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 pmThose are only event recording, not samples, no? Eg no comping.
your question is not clear to me
MuTools forum can clarify specific workflow questions:
viewforum.php?f=79
Last edited by Michael L on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

musicartist99 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 pm Mulab is geared more towards electronic music, based on the demo videos and tutorials from the developer.
MuLab is geared towards what a user wants it to be. It's my primary working environment and I'm succeeding in producing music in plethora of styles, check my Soundcloud or Bandcamp - Cleaner Vacuum.

If I can advise something, choose the working environment that first and foremost can adapt to your philosophy of doing things rather than impose its idiosyncratic solutions. In terms of flexibility, I guess it's hard to beat MuLab.
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise."
Bertrand Russell
[a href="cleanervacuum.art"]WWW[/a]

he does not have enough posts for a link, so:
https://cleanervacuum.bandcamp.com/
-
and
-
https://soundcloud.com/cleanervacuum
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thank you :)
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise."
Bertrand Russell
[a href="cleanervacuum.art"]WWW[/a]

Regarding samples, MuLab has a unique audio sequencer that enables many layers within one track.
This example is from five years ago, but gives the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Gk_toypxw
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

If any other Mulab user can chime in, just curious if sequenced clips, regardless of what track they're
on, can be set to exclusive racks.
I had the latest demo but deleted it due to workflow issues.
If I can get a shortcut so I don't have to download again and figure it out that would be good.

In any event, id go with mulab over tracktion any day personally. Tho i do have both, except for the latest tracktion, which im not
super interested in. Mulab has never been
my primary DAW though.

DaveL60 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm I play guitar
I'll answer your question with a question. Would you ask someone's advice on which guitar was best for you?

Or would you try out various models by actually playing them to find the one that fits your hand size, playing style, etc best?

There is simply no substitute for hands on demo time. No one can tell you what's best for you other than you.

I know which one I prefer but I won't even bother to say because my opinion should mean nothing to you since we all make different music and we all have different wants and needs. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:21 am
DaveL60 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm I play guitar
I'll answer your question with a question. Would you ask someone's advice on which guitar was best for you?

Or would you try out various models by actually playing them to find the one that fits your hand size, playing style, etc best?

There is simply no substitute for hands on demo time. No one can tell you what's best for you other than you.

I know which one I prefer but I won't even bother to say because my opinion should mean nothing to you since we all make different music and we all have different wants and needs. :wink:
That's the logical answer. In fact it *is* the defacto answer.
But it's not the KVR way.
KVRists post threads to get a plethora of replies. It has nothing to do with sincerely needing help or wanting honest to goodness advice.
It's all about how many replies can I get to fulfill my attention whoreness.

DaveL60 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm While I realize: "try it and see" is the ultimate answer, I'm wondering if anyone dug into both of these deeply enough to make a meaningful comparison? FWIW my music is mostly in a "classic rock" vein. I play guitar & keys, have EZD3 and Modo Bass 2 as primary tools.
Two of my 3 favorite DAWs over the years.

from what I have seen from the anecdotal data of my circle and the kids in my classes; there is nothing faster to finished song across most musical objectives and thus functional use cases than mulab... Simple, minimal, uncluttered, non intimidating, single window interface....3 views of the same underlying data accessible from a single button toggle with minimal pop ups...the power user functionality is always immediately accessible, but completely invisible and out of the way until you want it...the fastest loading and snappiest interface I've ever used...

based on what appears to be ur use case of traditional songwriting centered around guitar, Tracktion may take the lead as it has one of the largest sets of compositional tools; arranger track, audio follow chord track, chord and phrase generators. For the guitarist use case, a feature that may be a higher priority is comping. Tracktion has robust comping facilities. And all of this has a relatively shallow learning curve.

Some unique features of mulab are the "composer module" which essentially allows project/edit inception...the "audio sequences" facility creates parallel "audio lanes" per track and can be used in many ways including for comping...also allows separate FX chains per voice which they call "polyphonic FX"

Both have object orientation philosophies that allow you to work and think in modular compartmentalized chunks to maximize reuse...and both have "session views" to compose in loop pedalboard workflow...cant really go wrong with either...I really hope both survive and thrive
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”