Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying the demo and I'm not sure if I'm working with a synth or playing a video game. But I understand that in order to push the cutting edge of synthesis new methods and forms are needed so I accept the UI as simply part of the natural evolution of synthesis.

As for the sound just judging on presets so far....meh. Nothing is immediately jumping out at me as being something I can't do in some of the other synths I own. But I'll give it a more thorough evaluation when time allows out of fairness.

At this point I might be in at the $50 price range just to add it to my collection but even with the sale it's far from that range so I may just have to move on....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

As a huge fan of the other Dawesome synths, I was really excited for this. Unfortunately I'm just not getting on with it very well. I don't like the raw sound of the oscillators with any of the samples I've tried importing, and I would rather start with a sound I like and make it even better than start with a sound I don't like and try and fix it in the processing chain.

It seems like a lot of people really enjoy it and that's great, I guess this one just isn't for me.

Is there a straightforward explanation of what this does with imported sounds and the subsequent processing? I don't mean filters etc but the sound source level manipulation. Also is the source file needed after import or is the data stored in an array in the patch once imported ( same with the resonator). From the bits of videos I've watched of folks working in the synth it appears that it's doing an fft style analysis and playback of the source the irises are further processing that data. I'll check it out when I'm back near my computer but it might break the cheapo laptop I've been using.
Is there a bundle with this and novum?
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm Is there a straightforward explanation of what this does with imported sounds and the subsequent processing? I don't mean filters etc but the sound source level manipulation. Also is the source file needed after import or is the data stored in an array in the patch once imported ( same with the resonator). From the bits of videos I've watched of folks working in the synth it appears that it's doing an fft style analysis and playback of the source the irises are further processing that data. I'll check it out when I'm back near my computer but it might break the cheapo laptop I've been using.
on page 15 of the manual the resynthesis is explained, how it works.

the source file isn't needed. it becomes part of the preset, and you can save an IRIS seperately from the preset. so the sample is not needed. the preset is self-contained.
also for the samples you (can) use for the Modal and Resonator modules.

try lowering the voices, when your laptop can't handle it. you can do it per preset, set how many voices a preset is using.

there is no bundle with MYTH and Novum.

It's strange. Seems like some people who were really into and excited by Novum and Abyss are not impressed with Myth. I guess maybe it's not strange maybe it makes sense because - with Dawesome in general - I am the opposite. Novum and Abyss just did not excite me at all. To me they kind of just felt like 'take any sound base and turn it into a huge pad/drone' that all sounded samey samey in relation to each other.

Dawesome started getting my attention with Kult, which I bought. Kult - while also kind of a narrow set of tricks pony - was much more musically useful for the stuff I like to work on.

I wanted to not be impressed with Myth, and really welcomed some of the 'meh' responses I have read on this and other forums, but when I loaded up the demo I only lasted about 30 minutes before my card was charged. Really cool sound output and just different enough to fill out its own niche. I am very excited to work with this one.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 am From about 120 samples I have thrown at MYTH there was exactly one decent resynthesis result, a bassflute swell with some vibrato which I could then transform into a nice fat pad sound with some of the transformers but I wouldn't need MYTH for that sort of sound. Still searching for the magic here...
Every sample I put in sounds roughly the same, which is not at all what I was expecting. Only thing that really seems to change much is the amplitude. In other words set up an Iris, then throw a bunch of different samples in it, and the variety you get is minimal.

So the one component I thought would be the most interesting, is the least interesting when compared to the other components (transformers, filter, fx). Doesn’t mean you can’t get variety with those other components, just means it’s not really the sample manipulator I thought it would be.
Yo Leroy!

Have to agree with the above. So far everything I throw at it sounds pretty much the same. I'm hoping that 90 day demo period will change my mind. Feels a bit like Spitfire Phobos to me - that had a sound that got pretty boring after a while
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

idoru97214 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm It's strange. Seems like some people who were really into and excited by Novum and Abyss are not impressed with Myth. I guess maybe it's not strange maybe it makes sense because - with Dawesome in general - I am the opposite. Novum and Abyss just did not excite me at all. To me they kind of just felt like 'take any sound base and turn it into a huge pad/drone' that all sounded samey samey in relation to each other.
Coincidentally maybe, I'm in the same boat -- wasn't into Abyss (though it looks very pretty) and probably didn't even try Novum because I'm not much into granular stuff generally, but I do like Kult.

To me the strongest part of Myth is the transformers and modules. You can even turn off the iris entirely and use a "generator" to start with more traditional waveshapes.

I feel like the resynthesis can be cool but it's sort of a hard to predict, sweet spot hunting thing. I haven't had much luck trying to modulate the position to "walk through" a sound. If that's all the synth was I'd lose interest very quickly, to be honest. But I just think of that whole feature as something to provide raw material for the fun part.

I haven't explored the presets, I'm just not a preset user. To me it's always about what I can create from scratch, and the answer to that is "really neat stuff"...

WasteLand wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm Is there a straightforward explanation of what this does with imported sounds and the subsequent processing? I don't mean filters etc but the sound source level manipulation. Also is the source file needed after import or is the data stored in an array in the patch once imported ( same with the resonator). From the bits of videos I've watched of folks working in the synth it appears that it's doing an fft style analysis and playback of the source the irises are further processing that data. I'll check it out when I'm back near my computer but it might break the cheapo laptop I've been using.
on page 15 of the manual the resynthesis is explained, how it works.

the source file isn't needed. it becomes part of the preset, and you can save an IRIS seperately from the preset. so the sample is not needed. the preset is self-contained.
also for the samples you (can) use for the Modal and Resonator modules.

try lowering the voices, when your laptop can't handle it. you can do it per preset, set how many voices a preset is using.

there is no bundle with MYTH and Novum.
Thanks for the info. I haven't started demoing yet.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Seems to me like the audio quality has been improving with each Dawesome synth. There's something about the character of the high end of Abyss that I really don't like (maybe a gauzy quality?). Novum only has a little of that. Kult sounds pretty good. Myth sounds great, and has an exceptional richness to its timbres... it's an interesting contrast with Phase Plant, which creates complexity by piling on stuff. Whereas there's a sort of organic density to the characters generated by Myth.
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I’m assuming you need to throw a monophonic sample in only, correct? So I can sample a note from
My rompler and go in cool directions, but not with a chord sample.

stash98 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm I’m assuming you need to throw a monophonic sample in only, correct? So I can sample a note from
My rompler and go in cool directions, but not with a chord sample.
you can use or try chords, it won't pull a single note from the chord, but it may reproduce the chord as an iris
the resynthesis method is not based on the harmonic series like in wavetable synthesis, so chords and atonal sounds have the potential to produce something interesting

if you import a chord, play with the "wtf" control, if you're lucky it might allow you to rotate between the notes of the chord

it's meant for exploration and experimentation, so always worth trying stuff
though, pitches around C3 will generally work best
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am I'm not sure what to make of it just yet, the resynthesis yields very unpredictable results it seems, none of the samples I've thrown at it sounded anything like the original and most of the times it was just garble-shmarble-messy noise which could then be transformed into something more musical/ interesting using the transformers and filters. So is it a make gold out of shit-machine? The visuals are great though and I like the interface. More experimentation needed...
I totally understand your initial assessment of the resynthesis result, which, depending on the source material, is often rough and "garble-shmarble-messy" sounding. This...unnecessary roughness can be mitigated with the "Pure" (blue) transformer and also the "Smooth" control. I won't lie, your reaction to this sometimes undesirable resynthesis result was my initial reaction too, but I think it's important to understand that this is not "resynthesis for the sake of resynthesis"; it's merely a starting point. The "Pure" transformer will remove harmonics until only the strongest harmonics remain. The "Smooth" control removes any scratchy, harsh artifacts you might encounter when changing the Iris position. Then you can start using the transformers to introduce new harmonics in place of the ones you removed with the "Pure" transformer...

I admit the whole process does feel a bit...convoluted when you start out. As for the final result, having used the transformers and various modules, only you can decide for yourself whether it sounds remarkably different in a meaningful way than something you could've made in some other synth. I personally do think the final result tends to have a unique color that I would likely have had to create with some sort of per-voice distortion, probably alongside some post processing in 3rd party plugins after the fact. But, yeah, MYTH is kind of a misfit of a synth indeed, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your point of view. :wink:

Sound Author wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am I'm not sure what to make of it just yet, the resynthesis yields very unpredictable results it seems, none of the samples I've thrown at it sounded anything like the original and most of the times it was just garble-shmarble-messy noise which could then be transformed into something more musical/ interesting using the transformers and filters. So is it a make gold out of shit-machine? The visuals are great though and I like the interface. More experimentation needed...
I totally understand your initial assessment of the resynthesis result, which, depending on the source material, is often rough and "garble-shmarble-messy" sounding. This...unnecessary roughness can be mitigated with the "Pure" (blue) transformer and also the "Smooth" control. I won't lie, your reaction to this sometimes undesirable resynthesis result was my initial reaction too, but I think it's important to understand that this is not "resynthesis for the sake of resynthesis"; it's merely a starting point. The "Pure" transformer will remove harmonics until only the strongest harmonics remain. The "Smooth" control removes any scratchy, harsh artifacts you might encounter when changing the Iris position. Then you can start using the transformers to introduce new harmonics in place of the ones you removed with the "Pure" transformer...

I admit the whole process does feel a bit...convoluted when you start out. As for the final result, having used the transformers and various modules, only you can decide for yourself whether it sounds remarkably different in a meaningful way than something you could've made in some other synth. I personally do think the final result tends to have a unique color that I would likely have had to create with some sort of per-voice distortion, probably alongside some post processing in 3rd party plugins after the fact. But, yeah, MYTH is kind of a misfit of a synth indeed, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your point of view. :wink:
The Pure transformer was the first thing I grabbed for after getting these underwhelming results but then it started feeling absurd, resynthesize something, remove the potentially interesting harmonics and phase movements, then start adding FM and all kinds of distortion to make it sound somewhat decent and rich. If I want to write a letter to someone I would not write it by hand first, then copy it by typing it into my computer's text program ironing out the typos and crossed out words, then choosing different fonts for the various sections and maybe coloring all vowels in green, I would just send an email in the first place 😀

Last edited by WasteLand on Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”