Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cb8rwh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 pm Myth 1.09 should be available
FIX: linux - crash when removing mod source with "x"
Is there a Linux version?

HiEnergy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 am Some people complain about MYTH's resynthesis concept and say that finding pleasant-sounding samples for MYTH is difficult. I prove them wrong! Watch my 3 minute video on how to create wavetables using Serum that make for beautiful fodder for MYTH's Irises at
So the secret to using a $179 virtual instrument is to use another virtual instrument by another developer that costs $190 :dog:

And you think that proves everyone wrong that just wants a $179 instrument to be fun and easy to use without having to jump through all kinds of hoops and without buying another $179 virtual instrument

Wow

IvyBirds wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:34 am
HiEnergy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 am Some people complain about MYTH's resynthesis concept and say that finding pleasant-sounding samples for MYTH is difficult. I prove them wrong! Watch my 3 minute video on how to create wavetables using Serum that make for beautiful fodder for MYTH's Irises at
So the secret to using a $179 virtual instrument is to use another virtual instrument by another developer that costs $190 :dog:

And you think that proves everyone wrong that just wants a $179 instrument to be fun and easy to use without having to jump through all kinds of hoops and without buying another $179 virtual instrument

Wow
... or use Vital's wavetable editor for free? Its "export to wav" also saves as 16 bit.

Ou_Tis wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 am ... or use Vital's wavetable editor for free? Its "export to wav" also saves as 16 bit.
So to use your $179 virtual instrument and have it sound good it requires a free plugin from another vendor

Why not just make the $179 virtual instrument better? It would be different if Myth were free or like $10 but $179 is on the expensive side for it to require other tools

IvyBirds wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:34 am
HiEnergy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 am Some people complain about MYTH's resynthesis concept and say that finding pleasant-sounding samples for MYTH is difficult. I prove them wrong! Watch my 3 minute video on how to create wavetables using Serum that make for beautiful fodder for MYTH's Irises at https://youtube.com/watch?v=S7fiP06zyr0

Wow
The reason I used Serum is it being very common among music producers in various genres.
Of course there are lots of other options for generating wavetables (Waveterm, Vital, WaveEdit).
My video is intended to prove it's very easy to create smooth and beautiful sounding material for MYTH's re-synthesis function. I also had good success with "found sound" material, foley recordings and monophonic instrument samples. Those can be "hit and miss", though. Using exported wavetables is a surefire way to pleasant material to stuff into those gaping Irises. It's not much work either.

I lost about four hours just playing with it this evening... most fun I've had with a synth plugin in a long time. :D It's definitely hitting that inspiration sweet spot for me.

I have some old samples of a Kawasaki toy keyboard I had in the 90s, and the resynthesis actually sounds very close to many of those sounds, vibrato and cheap DAC noise and all. Tried a bunch of different types of samples to get a feel for what is accurately recreated and what is lost, but there are still occasional surprises in either direction.

I still don't think accuracy always correlates to useful feed stock for the synth. All those filters and other processors are there for a reason. Sometimes surprise inharmonics in the results interact with those in really interesting ways.

Also worth remembering that the resynthesis works for Modal and Resonator modules too...

Among several other things, I turned a recording of beeps from Sputnik into what sounds like a wheel with spokes tipped with rubber balls on a hand drill rubbing against a propane tank, good horror movie stuff... kinda thinking I'll use it for chords to accompany my actual propane tank drum in a future recording.

Starting to get some good noises out of this thing now. What you feed it is obviously important, but assigning some of those little circles below the iris to my Komplete Kontroller has made it come alive
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

So is it a hit...

...or a myth?

I'll get my coat...

A decent technical explanation of what the resynthesis process does would clear up lots of this. The manual says something like " our resynthesis can recreate any static sound" making it sound like a generic wav to wavetable fft based analysis and resynthesis. Knowing more about how it analyzes (method ,# of bins (assuming it's a standard dtft decomposition), method of pitch estimation or averaging (in the case of sounds with large variation in fundamental frequency), windowing type, and iterations (if multipass analysis is used)), and how that is used and converted to an iris. Then a more in depth explanation of how all that data is manipulated by the iris transformers. I realize this may be more info than some would want, but it's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to know especially when the resynthesis doesn't give very predictable (as far as usefulness) results. A better way of saying this might be that I can't tell what a sample will sound like "pre transformation" before I drop it in and try, and while trial and error can be fun, it's nice to not have to rely on it.

I do very much like the resampling and the most useful sounds I've made so far were started with a sine wave which I then built up into something a bit more complex, and then resampled post filter. Scanning through a short percussive sine >transformers> modal filter sample while modulating some of the crazier wave shaping effects and feeding that into the resonator has made me a few really cool bass/lead sounds and would be an infinite source of atmospherics/ ambiences.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

IvyBirds wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 am So to use your $179 virtual instrument and have it sound good it requires a free plugin from another vendor

Why not just make the $179 virtual instrument better? It would be different if Myth were free or like $10 but $179 is on the expensive side for it to require other tools
Oh ffs no. First of all, it comes with plenty of samples (and their irises and modal / resonator models) that have already been selected to work well. Second, it's not hard to get good sounding results resynthesizing samples if you're using presets as starting points (I've mostly been using tweaked versions of Vector Beauty with the Wave oscillator turned off, since it's relatively easy to turn the modules and LFOs on/off and they help mellow out the sound---I also put a multiband compressor afterwards just to keep it from getting too shrill, with no makeup gain). Finally, again, the main point of this synth (currently at least) is not the resynthesis, but the transformers and the modules.

Yeah, I'm really curious about the resynthesis and the relationship to the transformers. I notice with the FM depth theoretically at 0, the ratio is still noticeably doing something.

I had this idea a few years ago for simulating FM of any arbitrary sound, through a kind of spectral convolution of phase vocoder data (I was told that was a no-go by someone deeper into the DSP rabbit hole than me), or else as an additive synthesis technique. The sidebands created by FMing a sine are described by Bessel functions, so given an index and ratio you should be able to create those same bands -- a computationally heavy method that would have late 70s Yamaha engineers laughing at the ridiculousness, but it seems like it'd offer some additional opportunity for mucking around that you don't get with real FM.

...so I'm real curious what's going on with Myth. :D I mean, plus I'm a nerd anyway and just curious about a lot of stuff even if I don't have the math to fully get it.

it spits here again Horror Film sounds out. The best possible level imho. Metallic scary stuff.
Pink Floyd would have sold their neighbours for such a tool.
And Dario Argento would even have killed them and sold their heart to the devil to get it.

i´ve CC mapped something like, wait, 7+7 + 7+7 + 8 controls =36
36 HW controls to play the thing.
i have fun.

the lower row "Rings", the VCO stuff, should have a flater curve.
More stroke vs. small index amounts.
I´d guess some folks "ruin" their sound from there.

edit: solved

Dario Argentos Suspiria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXz3Ol ... DF&index=1

is this thing spectral?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:05 pm is this thing spectral?
Yes. No. Maybe. Buy now anyway.
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Return to “Instruments”