I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By the way, the initial point of Bones was to say that we can do any sound of modern synth with old generation subtractive synth and we don't need to have complex architecture synths (and the one thinking differently were morons).

So for the fun of it, I gave him a few examples:
Physical modelling: he said it was a sample.
Spectral with voice generation: he said it was a sample.
Sound transformation at spectral level: suppression of partials (undoable with normal filters), he said it was a fade in fade out.
Growing Dubstep bass with everything to the max: didn't answer.

Back to my point with our Ozzie colourful, sympathetic and jovial friend, not very up for discussion after his first insults attacks...

I assume English isn't your native language, which I realise puts you at a disadvantage, so I'll excuse your inability to comprehend my post. I was telling you how easily those things could be done. That someone chose to do them a more difficult/complicated/stupid way is really just making my point for me. That you choose to use those particular examples tends to tell me that you are getting your advice from the wrong places and/or looking at the whole thing from the wrong perspective.
machinesworking wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 amHeavy Metal is as silly as hard Industrial EBM, Gangster Rap and Punk.
Abso-fuckin'-lutely!
Basically any music focused only on anger tends to be a bit rigid, which is silly.
I don't think that's the defining feature at all. It's not the music that's silly, so much as the inevitable subculture around it, over which the artists have little or no control. It's the artists who embrace the subculture as much as the music who I find truly hilarious. My one concession to that, I suppose, is that I'll wear a mohawk on stage sometimes but otherwise we don't really make any concessions to the sub-culture. Even the mohawk is more a nod to Punk for me, not Goth or Rivethead culture (same thing over here).
I of course like all of them, the only music I don't really like is modern country, the beer commercial kind. [I'm super picky with Indie Rock as well, most of it sucks.]
I think it pretty much all sucks. Hard. Post Punk has had somewhat of a resurgence in recent years but even a lot of that is pants. Like Punk itself, the American flavour is so much more dire than the European/English stuff. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that my tastes are drawn along geographical lines as much as genres. I have very little music from US artists. There is something in the music that I don't like at all and it permeates pretty much every genre. There are exceptions, like Devo and Wall of Voodoo, but they are really taking the piss out of all that Americanness and that works for me. But the rest of it? No.
I'm calling your bluff, you would have to lived in a cave to not have heard Enter Sandman more times that you ever wanted to.
Yeah, but that's also on the Die Krupps EP, which covers it. Of course, I've also heard them do The Wait, but that doesn't really count. In fact, when I was looking around for some Killing Joke MIDI files, the only place I could find The Wait was on a Metallica fan site.
hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:38 pmSomeone who insults everyone, insulted me so i told them to do one. No disrespect to the forum or to yourself or anyone else
Yeah and I had a bit of a giggle and moved on. Why you guys have to take it all so personally, like anyone here actually has the first f**king clue who you are, is beyond my comprehension. If it was down the pub on a Friday night, we'd just tell each other to f**k off and be done with it.
Michael L wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 pmHowever, “sack of shit” is understandable when you won’t shit on your boat so you’re not surrounded by brown floaties.
I have a very strict policy of only shitting on company time. I'll be buggered if I am going to waste a second of my own time sitting on the khazi. It's a bit more difficult now that I am not working full time but it's a simple matter of discipline. And, no, I don't often work from home.
Michael L wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:12 pmBosh, yer just sayin that to qualify for an Australian visa to visit Bones in Brissy.
He'd be about 1000km off the mark. Brisbane was my last posting in the Army, I haven't lived there since 1987. He could visit my sister, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Oh I forgot, you're a Townie.
Much nicer place (with one exception).
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am I assume English isn't your native language, which I realise puts you at a disadvantage, so I'll excuse your inability to comprehend my post. I was telling you how easily those things could be done. That someone chose to do them a more difficult/complicated/stupid way is really just making my point for me. That you choose to use those particular examples tends to tell me that you are getting your advice from the wrong places and/or looking at the whole thing from the wrong perspective.
You are right, I am not native English.

Generally, I only take advises from myself on what I like and don't like but if I take the example of physical modelling, I don't think I am the only one thinking that it is useful and a beautiful technology.
It is like for spectral, I don't really understand why you defend the fact that it doesn't make distinct sounds than traditional synthesis, in particular as you are a fan of Thorne.

Let's take a down to earth example. Imagine I am doing a sound using a sawtooth and applying FM on it. At the end, I want to tweak it a bit. Having the possibility to see and modify the partials of the sounds as I can in Avenger in order to give more bass in the sound is awesome. And it would be extremely difficult if even possible to make it with just traditional tools.

He'd be about 1000km off the mark. Brisbane was my last posting in the Army, I haven't lived there since 1987. He could visit my sister, though.
Bullshit, 1000km for Australia is not off the mark, it is like 5 metres for Singapore.
Your sister is basically your neighbour.

Michael L wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:47 am Oh I forgot, you're a Townie.
Much nicer place (with one exception).
Are you also from Australia?
I have a much more important question than VST purchase and spectral synthesis.
I am trying to book 15 days holidays with my 3 kids) in South East Asia region for this August.
I am also considering Australia maybe Perth as nearer from me but I really would like to keep cost low.
Is it interesting? Do you advise this destination?

I live in Perth and not all Australians are as aggressive as BONES....

A psychological analysis would most likely point to a troubled upbringing :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:35 am I live in Perth and not all Australians are as aggressive as BONES....
A psychological analysis would most likely point to a troubled upbringing :wink:
Bones wants to be friends :hug: but never learned how :smack:

He and vurt would complement each other well, and be a lovely couple :love:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Absolutely

digitalboytn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:35 am I live in Perth and not all Australians are as aggressive as BONES....

Actually I went to Sydney and had a fantastic experience both with the beauty of the place and the kindness of the people.

Bones would be a very standard and normal Parisian.

As a French, when I am homesick I read Bones' posts and it reminds me being in Paris Metro a Monday morning.

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am
machinesworking wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:00 amBasically any music focused only on anger tends to be a bit rigid, which is silly.
I don't think that's the defining feature at all. It's not the music that's silly, so much as the inevitable subculture around it, over which the artists have little or no control. It's the artists who embrace the subculture as much as the music who I find truly hilarious. My one concession to that, I suppose, is that I'll wear a mohawk on stage sometimes but otherwise we don't really make any concessions to the sub-culture. Even the mohawk is more a nod to Punk for me, not Goth or Rivethead culture (same thing over here).
Kind of two different topics there, IMO genres of music that focus 100% on one emotion are silly, so I readily admit that I like a lot of silly music. I tend to like Slayer over Iron Maiden, NWA over Tricky, Ministry over Sisters Of Mercy etc. So I admit I gravitate towards the even more rigid angry stuff.

Fanbases for music can be super annoying. I actually really like Bon Scott era AC/DC but the American audience for AC/DC when I was a kid and they were still relevant is low IQ felons, the types that will randomly slash tires.
I of course like all of them, the only music I don't really like is modern country, the beer commercial kind. [I'm super picky with Indie Rock as well, most of it sucks.
I think it pretty much all sucks. Hard. Post Punk has had somewhat of a resurgence in recent years but even a lot of that is pants. Like Punk itself, the American flavour is so much more dire than the European/English stuff. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that my tastes are drawn along geographical lines as much as genres. I have very little music from US artists. There is something in the music that I don't like at all and it permeates pretty much every genre. There are exceptions, like Devo and Wall of Voodoo, but they are really taking the piss out of all that Americanness and that works for me. But the rest of it? No.

Yeah I've always thought your regional based taste thing was moronic as f*ck, I've never once thought of the home town of any band really and any flavor that came out. I concede that all the first wave of Post Punk was from the UK, but the USA went more for Hardcore Punk at that point with only a few UK bands having that sound. Almost all the post punk bands eventually did garbage music though, Gang of Four sure did in 83 etc. Later in the late 80's NY Noise for a lack of a better term was IMO impressive and worth a look, Swans, Big Black, early Sonic Youth, Dust Devils, Painteens. Plus dire isn't an insult. :hihi: Oh and if you include bands like Chrome who predate all the post punk bands, or even punk, I think it's near impossible to discount american bands without just losing the plot entirely.
I'm calling your bluff, you would have to lived in a cave to not have heard Enter Sandman more times that you ever wanted to.
Yeah, but that's also on the Die Krupps EP, which covers it. Of course, I've also heard them do The Wait, but that doesn't really count. In fact, when I was looking around for some Killing Joke MIDI files, the only place I could find The Wait was on a Metallica fan site.
Done, you admit you know exactly what Metallica sound like, so the awkward single note staccato runs from the banjo are amusing, but it sure as shit doesn't sound good! :lol:
Yeah and I had a bit of a giggle and moved on. Why you guys have to take it all so personally, like anyone here actually has the first f**king clue who you are, is beyond my comprehension. If it was down the pub on a Friday night, we'd just tell each other to f**k off and be done with it.
Like I mentioned earlier it seems the crowd will always dictate the language, it's OK to mock someone who defends say NI and Kontakt in the "Sad State of NI" thread, because that's a dogpile, the peer group dictates it, but if you were to do the same in a thread years ago when NI was in favor, people would call you an asshole. I got roundly attacked for pointing out NI's track record of deprecation years ago, but now I'm confused why everyone is upset at NI for all the same behavior they've always exhibited.

Assholes and opinions, you do tend to drop the "only an idiot would xxx" a fair amount and for most people that's as good as calling you an idiot. I just think you hold strong opinions. I agree with you about Thorn, fantastic synth, but I have to say Jac459 made me really take a second look at Pahse Plant, I'll probably pick it up if it ever goes on sale.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 am I agree with you about Thorn, fantastic synth,
Thorn which is a quintessential modern synth with its spectral flavour by the way.
but I have to say Jac459 made me really take a second look at Pahse Plant, I'll probably pick it up if it ever goes on sale.
This is only a part of my infamous plan... I will try to open your mind on little, less gifted synths, missing aftertouch but which are still deserving a bit of love, like for example Avenger 2 :-p.

By the way, after widely overlooking Serum, I am working on my sins and I discovered this week, thanks to this beloved forum, that Serum can modulate MSEG points in its own modulations...
Surely, some people would say that it is of no use, but who cares? It is damn fun.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am By the way, after widely overlooking Serum, I am working on my sins and I discovered this week, thanks to this beloved forum, that Serum can modulate MSEG points in its own modulations...
Surely, some people would say that it is of no use, but who cares? It is damn fun.
one way I like to use this is in rhythmic patches: just shifting a key point in the MSEG can change the rhythmic emphasis nicely.

gaggle of hermits wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:21 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am By the way, after widely overlooking Serum, I am working on my sins and I discovered this week, thanks to this beloved forum, that Serum can modulate MSEG points in its own modulations...
one way I like to use this is in rhythmic patches: just shifting a key point in the MSEG can change the rhythmic emphasis nicely.
Yes, seems a good point ... In particular with the natural talent of serum for bass....

We are spoiled with choices.....

And what will happen when zebra 3 will arrive?

Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am This is only a part of my infamous plan... I will try to open your mind on little, less gifted synths, missing aftertouch but which are still deserving a bit of love, like for example Avenger 2 :-p.

By the way, after widely overlooking Serum, I am working on my sins and I discovered this week, thanks to this beloved forum, that Serum can modulate MSEG points in its own modulations...
I'm mostly trying not to Pokemon every interesting synth.
I've got 400+ plugins, and probably half of them are VI's. I want to get even deeper into Falcon, and tighten up my understanding of other VI's I use right now.
I feel like I had a really productive period using primarily Absynth, Zebra 2 and Kontakt, (Memorymoog and Xpander in hardware). I've replaced that with Falcon, Hive, Pigments, Thorn, Generate, Plasmonic, CS-80, Novum, Diva, MPC Live, OB-Xtreme, Reason Rack, Syn'X, Poly KB, Mariana, Zebralette 3 etc. etc. and I still use the hardware along with the Wretch Machine, UNO Pro, Kontakt, EW Opus, Reaktor and definitely Zebra 3 when it comes out.

I'm making room for Phase Plant, (and probably Myth) but I really just want to have the time to use the gear I have now.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am This is only a part of my infamous plan... I will try to open your mind on little, less gifted synths, missing aftertouch but which are still deserving a bit of love, like for example Avenger 2 :-p.

I'm mostly trying not to Pokemon every interesting synth.
I've got 400+ plugins, and probably half of them are VI's. I want to get even deeper into Falcon, and tighten up my understanding of other VI's I use right now.
I feel like I had a really productive period using primarily Absynth, Zebra 2 and Kontakt, (Memorymoog and Xpander in hardware). I've replaced that with Falcon, Hive, Pigments, Thorn, Generate, Plasmonic, CS-80, Novum, Diva, MPC Live, OB-Xtreme, Reason Rack, Syn'X, Poly KB, Mariana, Zebralette 3 etc. etc. and I still use the hardware along with the Wretch Machine, UNO Pro, Kontakt, EW Opus, Reaktor and definitely Zebra 3 when it comes out.

I'm making room for Phase Plant, (and probably Myth) but I really just want to have the time to use the gear I have now.
Curious about your feedback on Novum... I think it is one of my "regret" purchase, mostly because it can only do pads (or at least with my skills).
Then what is the appeal of Myth ?

The fact that you are willing to dig into Falcon makes you very courageous... To me it is really a tool I fear. I tried a few times to really dig into it, but when I finish to google every action because it is not intuitive to me, it gets boring... That's a shame because I really love UVI soundware.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”