Synthesizers with diversity of presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mdx4ever wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:07 am
seafire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 pm No such thing as a unique sound in soft synths
That's a joke, right?
Or you mean emulations?
vurt: i only need one sound to make something cool 8)
Yes, but can you do it all with just one note? :wink:
We all know what 2 hands clapping sounds like.. but…
…. What 1 hand clapping sounds like…
And if tree falls in the forest and no one is around, what does it sound like…?
Sound happens in your brain when pressure waves stimulate cells to send an electrochemical signal to it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 am
mdx4ever wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 pm
seafire wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:18 pm No such thing as a unique sound in soft synths
That's a joke, right?
Or you mean emulations?
We all know what 2 hands clapping sounds like.. but…
…. What 1 hand clapping sounds like…
And if tree falls in the forest and no one is around, what does it sound like…?
Sound happens in your brain when pressure waves stimulate cells to send an electrochemical signal to it.
One of my favorite uses for my brain.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:55 pm
only if you expect me to play live keys :o
Same here :) We're virtuoso of one note drones.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Air Xpand2! - the one and only!

Worry about making good music more than some holy grail ‘unique’ preset. 😉

In my opinion sounds are just part of making your music “unique”. The more important thing is how you use these sounds, how you arrange them, what elements make your track have your “signature sound”.

There have been several bands and artists in the past before vsts were a thing or wavetables were a thing, many have their unique sound with 4-5 instruments or 4-8 tracks. It is more about what makes your music unique rather than what makes your sound unique. Just think of presets as instruments you have to use and use it when it’s appropriate.
Other elements might be - Do you gravitate towards a particular mood or tone, if yes, what is that sound. Are sounds in your music clean or distorted, Do you like a certain type of rhythm? Do you like certain type of drum sound or samples?

You can figure that out. In the end, no one except another user of the same synth or the creator of the preset will recognise the sound, if they happen to listen to your music. With enough tweaking, that’s also unlikely.

So, instead of going for unique sounds, go for sounds which fit your track and then see how you can bring in your own flavour with other elements.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

I was just going through Currents, and I was pretty shocked at the bass presets, which all seem to be a variant of Reese bass or distorted sub, and most seem loaded with reverb and delay. I’m not really a big preset fan, but I found it odd that they didn’t include a wider range of sounds.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

They supposedly have redone the factory bank, to make it more 'bread and butter' like, but haven't released it yet.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 pm They supposedly have redone the factory bank, to make it more 'bread and butter' like, but haven't released it yet.
rsp
I don’t particularly care. I just thought it was a bit short sighted to release something that was supposed to make people pay for ongoing expansion packs with such a narrow scope of styles. I bought it because I loved the filters and the general feature set and UI are good and easy to program.
Zerocrossing Media

There are other basses than reeses and subs? Hmmm.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Paree wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 pm In my opinion sounds are just part of making your music “unique”. The more important thing is how you use these sounds, how you arrange them, what elements make your track have your “signature sound”.

There have been several bands and artists in the past before vsts were a thing or wavetables were a thing, many have their unique sound with 4-5 instruments or 4-8 tracks. It is more about what makes your music unique rather than what makes your sound unique. Just think of presets as instruments you have to use and use it when it’s appropriate.
Other elements might be - Do you gravitate towards a particular mood or tone, if yes, what is that sound. Are sounds in your music clean or distorted, Do you like a certain type of rhythm? Do you like certain type of drum sound or samples?

You can figure that out. In the end, no one except another user of the same synth or the creator of the preset will recognise the sound, if they happen to listen to your music. With enough tweaking, that’s also unlikely.

So, instead of going for unique sounds, go for sounds which fit your track and then see how you can bring in your own flavour with other elements.
^This. I’m always confused by people who post questions like, “what’s a good synth for _____?” Obviously, they mean, “what synth comes with a lot of good presets for music in my favorite genre?” Someone who knows their way around a synthesizer can make sounds for any genre of music with any synthesizer.

I’m not in the anti preset police department. Many songs that I love were made with presets. Whether you like them or not, no one can deny that Pink Floyd’s One Of My Turns is a unique song that’s loved by many. It uses a preset from the Prophet 5. I often start out with a preset, and one of my favorite past times is wrangling presets that I hate into ones that I love. It’s usually not hard, but I’ve been using synthesizers since the early 80s, so I know my way around pretty much any synthesizer. But I learned a lot from working in music shops, and I also learned that the vast majority of keyboard players are preset users. My brother is in this camp. He’s got one ROMpler keyboard that he’s had for decades and has never touched the editing buttons. He’s the majority.
Zerocrossing Media

revvy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm There are other basses than reeses and subs? Hmmm.

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm
Paree wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:40 pm In my opinion sounds are just part of making your music “unique”. The more important thing is how you use these sounds, how you arrange them, what elements make your track have your “signature sound”.

^This. I’m always confused by people who post questions like, “what’s a good synth for _____?” Obviously, they mean, “what synth comes with a lot of good presets for music in my favorite genre?” Someone who knows their way around a synthesizer can make sounds for any genre of music with any synthesizer.

I’m not in the anti preset police department. Many songs that I love were made with presets. Whether you like them or not, no one can deny that Pink Floyd’s One Of My Turns is a unique song that’s loved by many. It uses a preset from the Prophet 5. I often start out with a preset, and one of my favorite past times is wrangling presets that I hate into ones that I love. It’s usually not hard, but I’ve been using synthesizers since the early 80s, so I know my way around pretty much any synthesizer. But I learned a lot from working in music shops, and I also learned that the vast majority of keyboard players are preset users. My brother is in this camp. He’s got one ROMpler keyboard that he’s had for decades and has never touched the editing buttons. He’s the majority.
If you are newbie it's perfectly normal,even necessary to ask what other people use,which synth is better for my style so on...
My case is more complex,cause i have no problem to make whatever sound i want with any subtractive synth,BUT..
I start to realize what's wrong with my mix,mostly the idea ''I want to make modern euro dance track''...well in the moment you start to use elements from other styles it becomes something else,so probably i should leave the idea to define the track preliminary and if the composition start to sounds and feel like euro dance will use most appropriate sound for it,which is step away from ideas of original sound,but will fit the style definition.
You can't be super original withing a style norms,cause style is defined by bpm,composition and familiar sound,so any difference in search of originality push the mix if uncharted territory,which i seems to prefer instead copy/paste one or another artist,band,style so on.
In my case icould make same track to sound like deep house or techno,but could achieve something undefined as style,but more interesting for listeners,sort of style chameleon,to take parts from styles and to assemble them my own way.
So have to forget about preliminary style definition and to continue with my own sound.
For example most interesting part in this old demo is buzzer sound,which isn't even a melody,just buy accident,browsing for more typical sound i realize ,that become more interesting,non conventional part,so that was my default question of this topic,which synthesizers have such diversity of sounds you can browse and find something for your project :
https://soundcloud.com/veletonemusic/ps ... -pack-6100

Return to “Instruments”