(Solved) required: LOW CPU LOAD !! GainAdjustments=>boosting ==> What type / which plugins to favor ? (AU)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heja,

it´s all about low CPU load !!
it´s all about boosting signal levels. Clean !
(attenuation is not required) (it has to be DAW independend)

I´m asking for plugins i could patch many many times into my patches, without anything taxing my CPU.
What type of plugins would you take ?
any specific tipps in particular ?

so far i tend to take Comps.
so, my sub-Q: Which Compressors are the least CPU taxing ones ?
Last edited by Funky40 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilohearts gain, clean and loud, low cpu usage, free :? . . . :hug:
https://kilohearts.com/products/gain
aliasing plugin owner
:?

In addition to Kilohearts gain, Bluecat has a great one that can do separate left and right gain, and mid side gain. You can also link them in groups. This allows you to boost the gain of multiple plug-in instances at once if you want.

Another good free option.

GGain, MUtility, Voxengo MSED or Sound delay. If you need specific and extreme amounts of gain you could make something in synthesis or flowstone or any other simple plugin maker that gives you hundreds of dBs of gain. As far as compressors that are low CPU to use for this, I'd go with Reaplugs. They also have a utility plugin with a gain control I think but it's been a while. Honestly a compressor seems like too much CPU for this but waves C1 is negligible in its CPU. I don't know what you're watching stuff together in but most patching environments have simple gain/ math modules specifically for gain staging.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

martiu wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:07 pm Kilohearts gain, clean and loud, low cpu usage, free :? . . . :hug:
https://kilohearts.com/products/gain
this one is great ! Perfect in many ways !
i just loaded 64 instances to check on the CPU load :lol:

Much thanks @martiu / @MattLeschuck / @Ah_Dziz

edit:
the internal one from my host has often not enough gain.
And the one from kilohearts has a very small GUI.
Also has it a double click to reset to 0db. Thats very handy

Hey there Funky40, what host/sub host are you patching all this together inside of? I'm just curious.

Also Blue cat gain suite is free and allows liked gain control between instances (could be good for some use cases). And venn audio Utility is one I've heard good things about too.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 pm Hey there Funky40, what host/sub host are you patching all this together inside of? I'm just curious.
i use GigPerformer.
I use DAWs very rarely to work with plugins.
just for some quick stuff, tests, or then to use M4L devices.
Higher developed patches quasi only in GP.
Has many reasons. Has many advantages.
Thats quasi solely for "non-sequenzed" hand played stuff though.
(or for working with plugins which have the sequenzer inside themself)
I do very complex patchings. Extremly advanced compared vs. what one "would" do within a DAW.
Nobody would ever do this type of patches within a DAW.
Many things "would be" possible there too. But you´d never do it there. And it would become completely unoverlookable. Would be unmanageable to jamm with.

DAWs are made to sequenze and to automate by the sequenzer.
GP is perfect for the realtime-play hands-on approach.
And thats exactly for what the two platforms are built for ! ...one for this, one for that ;)

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 pm Also Blue cat gain suite is free and allows liked gain control between instances (could be good for some use cases). And venn audio Utility is one I've heard good things about too.
the kilohearts gain thingy is perfect for what i was looking for !
Also the small GUI is perfect.

i´ll have to keep the melda tool in mind too. some functions look handy for some special occasions

Sounds cool. I don't know much about GigPerformer. I compose for a living so I'm in a DAW quite often. I very much enjoy modular environments for live jamming and crazier sound design. I love playing live shows but there's not much market for my flavor of bizarre electronics in my area. A combo of Bitwig and Maschine (hosted in BW) would be my go-to for a computer based performance rig I suppose. I'm too lazy to custom build a fully functional performance platform in Max or pure data or something. I also want too many options so a decently "modular" DAW with a good controller and my Nord G2 comprise my "live rig".

You can check out Gig Performer's YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/AbOryF3PwoA?si=JL5sQTQtcbrVPIyd

Return to “Effects”