One DAW as your only environment/instrument(s)?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm Saying one would like to just put one thing on their computer to make it their music workstation and without having to add any other plug-in, which DAW would that be?
Tough call between Bitwig and Logic... but I go with Bitwig because of the Grid. The Grid is a fantastic synth!

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:07 pmobs.
I had not heard of that one and had to do a web-search. Thanks!
more for video, but if i only had one option (life or death) id go with that and the modular.
That's cheating. OP clearly stated that the DAW has to be the only environment/instrument. ;)

That's why I said "none". DAWs don't have great onboard instruments.
I kind of agree, although I keep reading posts elsewhere that seem to disagree. That's why I posed this question. Thought it would immediately be heralded with Bitwig, Cubase, FLS, Live, Reason users TBH.
I really wished that there was such a thing as a DAW with great onboard instruments, then I could save the money I spend on third party stuff. ;)

From the DAWs I tried, I would say that Cubase had the best onboard stuff, but, it's light years behind good third party instruments.

Well, can't complain really. Acquainting yourself with what's available on the market is an essential experience IMO.
Not light years.. Halion, groove agent, retrologue and padshop are great instruments.
And all the effects are very good too, compressors, eqs, etc.

I'd definitely do good with just cubase

Cubase Is the most complete DAW right now. So, complete it can be overwhelming to catch up on its features as a beginner as a lot of it is hidden behind layers of other features you don't use. Ableton comes in second due to the quality of their stock options, and the rare chance that you can program M4L.

Bitwig is an honorable mention. Personally think everything stock sounds extremely basic but it HAS power, especially Poly Grid/Polymer.
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm Saying one would like to just put one thing on their computer to make it their music workstation and without having to add any other plug-in, which DAW would that be?
One tool to do everything, hmm ...

OK, you need to build a house with one tool. Which hammer do you prefer? :ud:
Last edited by rj0 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rj0 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

Actually, driving screws with a hammer is a common practice in construction.

I see you edited your original comment before I quoted now.
And your new analogy has no equivalency to this.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm
rj0 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 pm

Actually, driving screws with a hammer is a common practice in construction.

I know. I've used a hammer that way too. That's why I phrased
it that way.

And yes, if you can only afford a DAW ...

rj0 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:30 pm And yes, if you can only afford a DAW ...
More about a contemplation in minimalism really. Just considering all the different posits from multiple threads here as well. And realizing how I've gone full circle to my approach to production.

Been using stock synths and fx for 24 years, excellent quality. I use a couple of vsts, depending on my needs.

I have a ton of 3rd party stuff, but its really all the same nonsense. I always go back to rock solid stuff that does exactly what I need when I'm writing music.

Of course, forums are really just a place for devs to sell snake oil, and for people who never make music to fall into the traps of perpetual sale waffle.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pmLogic.
+ 1

I'll say it, the most "complete" all in one DAWs I know of are Reaper and Digital Performer, in terms of features, film scoring, tabs, MIDI editing, customizability etc. etc. Neither have any great virtual instruments. OTOH most of the DAWs with simple linear arrangement pages comparably have massive amounts of virtual instruments.

The complete solution DAWs with great virtual instruments generally have limited or stripped down arrangement timelines, except Logic. So unless you have a trillion dollar company propping up your R&D, it's likely that you will choose to make a few cuts in various areas and concentrate on a specific strength.

That said I think there is absolute merit in running a DAW like Live, Bitwig, Reason or Logic that can be used entirely without third party plugins. It's a way to cut cost, raise chances of being bug free and of actually being an expert in all the plugins you use.

Well… I have been doing that for a long time, so this is an easy question for me.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm That's why I said "none". DAWs don't have great onboard instruments.
…except Logic, which has Alchemy. :wink:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm That's why I said "none". DAWs don't have great onboard instruments.
Or Live Suite that has Max 4 Live, and v12 brings in even more world class instruments, or Bitwig with the Grid and IMO it's best in class stock instruments, or Reason that has dozens of great stock instruments. Logic has the most though for sure.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:47 pm
cryophonik wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm
Or Live Suite that has Max 4 Live, and v12 brings in even more world class instruments, or Bitwig with the Grid and IMO it's best in class stock instruments, or Reason that has dozens of great stock instruments. Logic has the most though for sure.
It's pretty insane how far things have come. I haven't completely ditched external plugin instruments yet, but I've greatly reduced the times I've loaded them up, and when I do, its because I'm familiar with those tools.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”