Beware of UAD native plugins...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd just skip the whole uad situation. I wasn't impressed (especially relative to the cost and hassle) by their stuff back when I had a card or any of the times I fiddled with them over the years. I'm excited for anyone who did want them without buying the hardware, but you should always just go to the iLok key if it's available for a product.

Having spent most of their existence as a very expensive hardware DSP platform, I doubt they'll be backing off with CP, or prices, now that they've finally gone native. Probably many years out.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Is there a reason they only offer ilok cloud activations and not ilok activations on one's host computer? Does that cost them more money? Or is it less secure?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:56 am Is there a reason they only offer ilok cloud activations and not ilok activations on one's host computer? Does that cost them more money? Or is it less secure?
The machine authorization system is less secure and was cracked in the past.

@ kritikon: ... My UAD days began, when I had a not very powerful WinXP Laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo. Back then I appreciated the use of a UAD Laptop Solo card which helped a lot to save some ressources. It didn´t feel like "dongle" but exclusive. Next Computer - next UAD card, which was the Quad. Now I still have the Quad in my latest PC and enjoy the Fairchild, the Fatso, the Ampex, the Bus Compressor, the Cambridge EQ and so on. They still feel exclusive and I can trust in their Hardware, which is the Quad.
I don´t trust cheapo USB sticks labelled iLok, because one failed and left me very frustrated. That´s the reason I would prefer putting an iLok licence on the (offline-)computer.

AND: The damaged USB stick caused the hardest crashes (instant black screen) I ever had!!! It took some time until I found out, that it was the iLok dongle.
AND: PACE service used to stop occasionally and I had to find out on my own how to make it work again in the Win control panel which was very meh. That never happened with the host PC-tied-licensed products.
The average bored guy

Ok, thanks!

All UA plugins are dongled and can operate fully offline. Either
1.DSP based dongle
2.ilok based dongle

The advantage with ilok is its tiny and lightweight so you can transport it anywhere.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I agree, beware of UAD native plugins, they've cost me money already b/c they sound so good and it's only been like a month or two since they went native.

I can't decide b/t the century tube strip, the API bus compressor or the LA-2A's and the sale is over in a day or two.

Their mixing plugins have the best sound to cpu cost ratio of any of my compressors and fx I think.

And I wouldn't have a single one if they didn't go native. My initial plan was to take advantage of their 1 dollar for 3 months promotion, write some tracks and then print all the uad stuff.

But they hooked me with their sound and then reeled me in by going native. Very effective marketing I guess. But I don't mind being the mark in this case, they're all over every project now.

Granted, if it caused the problems like the OP and other situations you guys talked about in the thread I'm sure my impressions would be altered accordingly. My experience w/ them has been trouble free so far.

susquash wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm It's a horrible software implementation and they should really consider changing it.
I bought my first UAD plugin a few months ago via Plugin Boutique. Actually, they were giving away the "lite" version of their LA-2A which I downloaded. Then came the offer to cross grade to their LA-2A collection for $22. Hmm... I said. OK, why not. I paid, downloaded it, and installed it. Then came the fuzzy, fade in UI... OK, that's pretty weird, and 3 seconds every time I open a UAD plugin that I'll never get back because waiting. Then I noticed the little icon in the system tray, UAConnect, or some such BS, with absolutely NO WAY to remove it from the tray.

I uninstalled all UAD products, ate the $22 I wasted, and will never buy anything else from them. Done. Will never understand what all the fuss was about.

They really could have made the native plugin implementation less intrusive. What's so hard about having plugin installers that I can download from my UA account? Why only through UA Connect? And why is there no way to back up the installers to use later. They get deleted immediately once unpacked.

My licences are on a physical iLok. I shouldn't need UA Connect at all but it's the only way to install new licences or updates.
Image Image Image Image

GrizzlyAK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:27 am Then I noticed the little icon in the system tray, UAConnect, or some such BS, with absolutely NO WAY to remove it from the tray.
Turns out you can uninstall UA Connect and the permanent licenses work fine.

I eventually tracked down my issues with iLok Cloud to UA Connect. It was always stealing a cloud session on my main rig, even if I was doing no music at all. I only use the Cloud on the laptop. So I deleted UA Connect, my freebie machine-authorised LA-2A works fine, and all is good.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I only run UA Connect manually when I want to check for updates or install new stuff - that's the only time it runs here. Zero problems doing this.

I just uninstalled UA Connect, rebooted, and PolyMax still opens OK here. It still needs iLok of course, but that's another story.

Yeah UA Connect isn't required for the plugins to operate once activated. If you don't plan on installing any more plugins or updating the ones you have, you can safely remove it. If you do, it's better to disable it loading on startup and keep it around.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Instruments”