I suck at mastering what is the best Multiband Compressor ==> Ozone vs Fabfilter vs Bitwig Compressor+

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So here is the deal. While I am far from a beginner, I feel I am really not good at finding the right level of compression on my mix/masters.

What I generally do is I am very disciplined at sidechaining (frequencies or entire tracks), because I find the gains really substancial. I am then EQing when really necessary (or saturating a bit sometime, I love to use saturn 2 for that).
Then when I am trying to master and add a bit of punch, with compression or not, I have no freaking idea of what I am doing...
(to be clear I know very well how a compressor work, I just can't make it do what I want)..

Then my question, do you feel worth it to buy Pro MB from fabfilter because of the visual help I can get ? I already own Ozone 11 advanced and Bitwig which just released a new compressor with multi band "analysis" (single band output).

I thought the idea with Ozone was to step away from multiband and use dynamic EQ instead. This way only the specific frequencies in that area, that jumps out too loud, is being smashed, reducing the hit on the final limiter.

I stopped trying MB for now. When I was experimenting with it... I found Vengeance MB quite fun. I have Ozone but not fabfilter, too expensive as I got Vengeance on a massive discount.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 pm I thought the idea with Ozone was to step away from multiband and use dynamic EQ instead. This way only the specific frequencies in that area, that jumps out too loud, is being smashed, reducing the hit on the final limiter.

I stopped trying MB for now. When I was experimenting with it... I found Vengeance MB quite fun. I have Ozone but not fabfilter, too expensive as I got Vengeance on a massive discount.
Yeah that is the idea... Generally I do that myself, during the mixing part...
Then they have their spectral stuffs, I find them working pretty well.

But Pro MB is at 70 euros now for me with the anniversary sale.
That's why I was considering (but think I will pass).

Fabfilter doesnt give you values, it gives you % which is smth I cant wrap my head around. ozone 9 multiband comp is more traditional which is appealing to me, most od the time ableton stock is enough for my work. compressor+ I just saw on youtube but I think its not traditional as well where you adjust every band seperatly. whiteseastudio used proMB and zenworld as well for multiband tutorials and they seem to get quite good results

Tendou wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:01 pm Fabfilter doesnt give you values, it gives you % which is smth I cant wrap my head around. ozone 9 multiband comp is more traditional which is appealing to me, most od the time ableton stock is enough for my work. compressor+ I just saw on youtube but I think its not traditional as well where you adjust every band seperatly. whiteseastudio used proMB and zenworld as well for multiband tutorials and they seem to get quite good results
:tu:

The Ozone Assistant is quite good now. I usually just run it and then adjust the threshold of the Maximizer. Make sure you're happy with your mixes before getting to that stage, though. You can fix problems with your mix in mastering but it's easier to get good results if you don't have to.

Toneboosters' MBC might be worth a look/demo.
https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_mbc_v1.html

Jac459 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm But Pro MB is at 70 euros now for me with the anniversary sale.
70 euros would be tempting indeed. I'd likely buy that if I wasn't about to fund the animated video for my last tune upload. I think I'd jump for Saturn MB Distortion instead though, if the cash was spare!
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W11, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Uncle E wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 pm The Ozone Assistant is quite good now. I usually just run it and then adjust the threshold of the Maximizer. Make sure you're happy with your mixes before getting to that stage, though. You can fix problems with your mix in mastering but it's easier to get good results if you don't have to.
I generally work a lot on the mix. I hope that is why I don't have much to do with ozone at the end.

mitchiemasha wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:04 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm But Pro MB is at 70 euros now for me with the anniversary sale.
70 euros would be tempting indeed. I'd likely buy that if I wasn't about to fund the animated video for my last tune upload. I think I'd jump for Saturn MB Distortion instead though, if the cash was spare!
Well, v when you have an opportunity, Saturn is really good.
I use it more than pro Q3. If you want to subtly boost some bands or add harmonics, it really does the trick.

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:54 am I generally work a lot on the mix. I hope that is why I don't have much to do with ozone at the end.
If it seems like Ozone isn't doing a lot, that's a pretty good sign that your mixes are on track to begin with. The Assistant is pretty toned down and you'll probably need to push it a little more, but not much.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”