Delay, again, 2024.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a bit of a different perspective if anyone is interested, but I like to use delays that are resource friendly and easy to dial in . I'm surprised at how often it's delay plugins that tend to slam RAM usage, maybe due to delay buffers?

The main features I want are tempo sync, ping pong and modulation - oh, and it has to sound good. I've gone through a lot of them and the most feature rich yet resource friendly one I've tried is Audio Damage Dubstation 2 - that's my go-to at this point for general analog delay needs - I can load 100 instances and it still only needs 200MB's of RAM and 2% CPU on my system.

Another simple to use and good sounding analog style delay would be Nomad Factory Echoes. It also got updated recently and I've been enjoying using it all over again. There's also Sixth Sample Deelay which is free, sounds good and is full of great features too.

If I want lots more features (like digital resampling, extra filter options, envelope ducking) and don't mind the larger memory hit, then Arturia's Delay ETERNITY is a very powerful delay and is my choice if I require a bit more flexibility.

There's also Replica XT which is a very good sounding delay that's simple to use and dial in, but it takes more than 20x the CPU of Dubstation 2 so I often find myself unable to justify its use. I feel similary towards Sandman Pro and MTurboDelay as well, the latter of which can easily fill my entire 32GB's of RAM with just a couple tens of instances...

Unfortunately I just bought Valhalla Delay (not that good), so no more money for Alex Hilton's better delay.

Gam456 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 am
roman.i wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm To my ears Audiority deleight is how a delay should sound like (I have it), but the plugin ergonomics are awful.
I also have:
Replika XT - good one, but not exactly the sound I'm after, excellent ergo, need to test it again...
Daw delays in Logic - awful sound
Comeback kid - doesn't sound good, and preset manager is non-existing - basically an os window.
Waves - no way I'm installing this, even that I have the bundle. Though, H-delay is nice.

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Also tested and didn't like:
Valhalla delay
BX 2500
Echoboy like many SoundToys are not bad but outdated

Finally someone doens't like Valhalla delay. Please be my friend :D
:hihi: Felt the same. Never liked the sound of Valhalla.

roman.i wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm To my ears Audiority deleight is how a delay should sound like (I have it), but the plugin ergonomics are awful.
Yea.. Deleight needs a strong UI overhaul

Raddler1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:50 am
I also have:
Replika XT - good one, but not exactly the sound I'm after, excellent ergo, need to test it again...
Comeback kid - doesn't sound good, and preset manager is non-existing - basically an os window.
Waves - no way I'm installing this, even that I have the bundle. Though, H-delay is nice.

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Valhalla delay
BX 2500

Well... I'm in that boat too. They sound "too much sugar and extra spice" to me. Exaggerated.

With a lot of things, I wonder why they are so hyped here. Probably rather because of the price, and the attitude, than for the actual sonic quality.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:46 am
I also have:

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Valhalla delay
BX 2500

Well... I'm in that boat too. They sound "too much sugar and extra spice" to me. Exaggerated.

With a lot of things, I wonder why they are so hyped here. Probably rather because of the price, and the attitude, than for the actual sonic quality.
Same here too. Never been a fan of Valhalla.
Getting some nice delays out of this one tho
https://www.sinevibes.com/integer/
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I also have:

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Valhalla delay
BX 2500

Simple. It cheap as a multi purpose delay
To me it doesn't sound as a tape delay at all, or a BBD dealy
Last edited by Gam456 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post

so this thread inspired to go back and play with a bunch of delays and then I just grabbed a McDSP EC-300 from the classifieds here and i gotta say, the BBD mode in that really hits the spot for me.

t.o.t.s. wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:03 pm so this thread inspired to go back and play with a bunch of delays and then I just grabbed a McDSP EC-300 from the classifieds here and i gotta say, the BBD mode in that really hits the spot for me.
The IR's are fun to use, also. But I hate the GUI.

yeah the GUI is pretty busted. No doubt! Those IR's are absolutely a blast. It's a weird to me that they'd polish up the GUI on (I guess?) everything but that plugin. Still, sounds killer so that's cool!

t.o.t.s. wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:54 pm yeah the GUI is pretty busted. No doubt! Those IR's are absolutely a blast. It's a weird to me that they'd polish up the GUI on (I guess?) everything but that plugin. Still, sounds killer so that's cool!
I get the feeling they still think it looks cool. But I do like the sound.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:13 pm
t.o.t.s. wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:54 pm yeah the GUI is pretty busted. No doubt! Those IR's are absolutely a blast. It's a weird to me that they'd polish up the GUI on (I guess?) everything but that plugin. Still, sounds killer so that's cool!
I get the feeling they still think it looks cool. But I do like the sound.
It's pretty hilarious they'd think that! No accounting for taste I guess! Maybe one day they'll update the GUI before v8 :)

Gam456 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am
I also have:

Eye on:
Echoboy - have to test.

Valhalla delay
BX 2500

Simple. It cheap as a multi purpose delay
To me it doesn't sound as a tape delay at all, or a BBD dealy
Just to say I don’t like the sound of VDelay either

I have and have discarded many delays. Valhalla Delay remains my favorite overall, followed by Replika XT. Echoleffe and Sigmund 2 round things out. I've deleted every other delay I have except those as they're not necessary and not used.

I do not need special FX delays like Timeless 3. Recirculate was interesting but uses too much CPU and the developer is arrogant and doesn't think it's important to optimize.

Return to “Effects”