Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there! My favorite presets keep disappearing. I add a new category, I drag presets into them, and everything is fine. Whenever I reload the plugin, they just aren't there. Is it a known issue? (OsTirus)

I don't think you can drag them in there. Right click and it should give you a choice to Add Folder or Add a single preset.

I’m glad they have finally done all the iterations of the virus , which means they can now focus on the good synths :D
Microwave xt incoming !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

beely wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:18 am Yep. By default, (M1 Pro), the CPU usage in Logic here is about 10%. By changing the latency mode in the plugin from the default 1 block to 0, so the DAW reports proper CPU usage, the CPU meter goes up to 100% (so all-you-can-eat on a single core).
This is surprising to me. With a M1 Max CPU and Ableton, opening Osirus with latency on 1 I get CPU overruns of 200%+ without even playing a note. (RME UCX II, 48k @ 64 samples). I've got to crank it up to 8 to be playable (5-10% CPU), which generates a reported latency of just under 20ms so I stopped using Osirus.

Just reinstalled Logic Pro X since I haven't been using it... works perfect on the 1 setting, CPU is negligible. Blast you Ableton...

miloszz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 pmJust reinstalled Logic Pro X since I haven't been using it... works perfect on the 1 setting, CPU is negligible. Blast you Ableton...
Yeah.. Ableton can be a real pig in that department. The plugin runs perfectly and is perfectly playable on the "1" setting. I don't see any real advantages in running it on "0" setting if all that does is increase CPU load.

LFO8 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 am
miloszz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 pmJust reinstalled Logic Pro X since I haven't been using it... works perfect on the 1 setting, CPU is negligible. Blast you Ableton...
Yeah.. Ableton can be a real pig in that department. The plugin runs perfectly and is perfectly playable on the "1" setting. I don't see any real advantages in running it on "0" setting if all that does is increase CPU load.
AFAIK, setting to "0" doesn't increase the CPU load, it simply reports it correctly to the DAW. By setting to "1", it seems the plugin displaces the computing outside the DAW, if that makes sense, to avoid potential problems on older CPUs. But the general load remains the same. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Ghostwave wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 am AFAIK, setting to "0" doesn't increase the CPU load, it simply reports it correctly to the DAW. By setting to "1", it seems the plugin displaces the computing outside the DAW, if that makes sense, to avoid potential problems on older CPUs. But the general load remains the same. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Yes, all that is fine in theory. But in practical application all that users will notice is:

Setting 0 = I'm getting buffer overloads in my DAW and the plugin is barely usable

Setting 1 = Haleluya, I can play an run the plugin in my DAW without any problems whatsoever and can run multiple instances even.

I'm running an older Ryzen 3800X and haven't had any issues.

I think the TI Snow firmware is enough most of the time. You usually don't really need 16-part multitimbrality in a VST since you can just add more instances if you need them. This will also cause the DAW to distribute the load across your CPU cores more evenly than trying to do it all inside one instance of the VST. The Snow provides enough polyphony most of the time unless you're trying to do something silly like 8 voice unison with Complex oscillators.

Ghostwave wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:06 am AFAIK, setting to "0" doesn't increase the CPU load
It does. The lower the set buffer size, the more CPU will be utilized.

I don't know what technical background it has that a setting of 0 is also the only setting which will report the real CPU usage to the DAW, but, I'm sure I wouldn't understand it either, if they explained it.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:44 am It does. The lower the set buffer size, the more CPU will be utilized.

I don't know what technical background it has that a setting of 0 is also the only setting which will report the real CPU usage to the DAW, but, I'm sure I wouldn't understand it either, if they explained it.
As I understand it, with a default 1 buffer, much of the DSP work is happening independently of how the DAW reports CPU usage (which is usually calculated by how quickly the current audio buffer is processed, I believe).

At 0, everything is done in the audio loop, so it takes longer to process for the DAW which consequently reports a higher, more accurate load to the DAW.

In both cases, the actual work the CPU does to calculate the synth is basically the same*, it's just that in the first case, the DAW can't report on what it doesn't know is happening.

* Though there may be performance optimisations going on, resulting in some efficiency gains.

Alright. :)

As far as I understood it (the devs explained it some times on Discord), the set buffer size does affect CPU utilization though. The question is how much, but, they definitely said that it does.

Many ways to save CPU though: Set higher buffer size in the plugin, set the ROM to Snow, reduce the DSP rate etc.

Do you have the latest version. The update cut my single use CPU from 30% to @ 10%.

The TC Electronic Powercore (Motorola DSP card) also has 4 buffer multiplier settings. So it’s interesting they actually went a similar route. Which sort of makes sense when you remember these are really “less plugin” and more “virtual DSP card inside of a plugin.”

In theory raising the buffer makes it easier for the CPU to process within the extra time window. In practice, provided you can run (without crackles etc) in a 1X buffer, it seems to have less impact than might be expected. Maybe extra buffers make more sense at 96kHz? I didn’t test. Otherwise the Virus A Rom, or Snow in the TI’s case, would be the more impactful change for systems which struggle.

The “No Buffer” setting is something the Powercore can’t do - It’s always between a 1x and 4x buffer. It’d be interesting to hear why adding additional buffers means it only reports the base plugin usage to the host, and not the usage for the actual 56k conversion - though it still shows in your systems CPU monitor.

Either way, expect to be able to run significantly less instances if you use a zero setting, and have increasingly noticeable latency above a 1x setting. (Try to play a rapid repeating note, at the highest settings, and you should notice you have a harder time doing it because of the latency.. )

OsTIrus:
Are all gain-levels settings:

* Common Global Master-Volume
* Global volume (linked to Midi cc7, not accessible via GUI)
* Output Gain setting in GUI

stored in a DAW project (they are not stored in patches)?

Chris-S wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:36 am OsTIrus

* Output Gain setting in GUI
I wish this one was saved by the plug so it wouldn't need to be reset for each use

Return to “Instruments”