Mac OS Updates and Software Compatibility

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now I have Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6.4

I avoid upgrading to Mac OS 13.... to avoid software compatibility problems.

Let say we have version AB.C.X

Should I only worry about AB updates to get some problem with compatibility ? Or should I also worry with .C and .X ?

Thanx

Read release notes to get a better understanding.

Jolaff wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:31 pm Now I have Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6.4

I avoid upgrading to Mac OS 13.... to avoid software compatibility problems.

Let say we have version AB.C.X
AB updates are usually safe, but sometimes C and X can cause a compatibility explosion! I prefer to stay on the version that is familiar to my applications, like an old friend. I recently read about “project management software for mac”, found an article about mac software for project management and learned a lot for myself. If I updated, all my work applications would not work. Since there is no update for them yet. So don’t take risks, otherwise there will be problems later.
Should I only worry about AB updates to get some problem with compatibility ? Or should I also worry with .C and .X ?

Thanx
I would recommend keeping up to date with all three versions - AB, .C and .X - to stay up to date with changes and minimize potential compatibility issues.
Last edited by MuratGloris on Thu May 02, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolaff wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:31 pm Now I have Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6.4 I avoid upgrading to Mac OS 13.... to avoid software compatibility problems.
You won't have much choice here shortly as Monterey goes End of Life on November 30, 2024

As soon as that happens - expect all the software you use (especially any newer updates or upgrades ) to be unsupported once that date passes.

VP

Apple sometimes breaks compatibility just with security ‘point’ updates. Security updates can be for a few recent major versions.

When that happens, they WILL NOT fix a problem in any earlier version, only the current one. They want to force you to stay current because it reduces their support costs.

If everything is working fine on your system, you might want to stop updating. My system is still on Mojave and everything works fine, except Apple introduced an error into Safari (!) with a security update they wouldn’t fix (and I get priority support.)

You can’t have it all.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Just updated from the previous major version to the current release. Not gonna make any comments at all. Touch wood.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I'm staying on Monterey for now. So, I don't get Logic 10.8. Oh well. 10.7.7 is fast and reliable on Monterey.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”