One DAW as your only environment/instrument(s)?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

soundmodel wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm You heard of Burial? He makes tracks with Sound Forge.

REAPER has good audio editing etc.

But, yes, Reason, FL Studio and Bitwig would give you more plug-ins out of the box.
In that case any daw with audio editing could be a contender... Seems like a low hanging fruit suggestion if any....

Ancientbehemoth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 pm
soundmodel wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm You heard of Burial? He makes tracks with Sound Forge.

But, yes, Reason, FL Studio and Bitwig would give you more plug-ins out of the box.
In that case any daw with audio editing could be a contender... Seems like a low hanging fruit suggestion if any....
But consider Reason 12 at $499 - Reaper Personal $60 = $439 to spend on plug-ins of your choice.

$439 could buy a pretty good plug-in setup too. Especially if you use JSFX plug-ins for compressors and the sorts.

Sincere question for Logic users;
Does Alchemy come with it now or is it a secondary purchase on top of Logic?

BBFG# wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm Sincere question for Logic users;
Does Alchemy come with it now or is it a secondary purchase on top of Logic?
Alchemy and the meat of CamelPhat are in Logic, Logic doesn't really have secondary purchases that I know of? I sometimes regret not staying with it, but then for whatever reason Logic isn't using the Efficiency cores on Apple Silicon Macs, so there's more power to be had in DP, Reaper and apparently Cubase on Apples new machines.

soundmodel wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm

But consider Reason 12 at $499 - Reaper Personal $60 = $439 to spend on plug-ins of your choice.

$439 could buy a pretty good plug-in setup too. Especially if you use JSFX plug-ins for compressors and the sorts.
But that has nothing to do with the topic :scared:
It was clearly what daw would you use if that was your ONLY daw/instruments.
So I'm curious how you can pick reaper????

The fact that you would then add 3rd party synths is like... Wtf :o

Ancientbehemoth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm So I'm curious how you can pick reaper????
It does have nice features for the metronome to serve as a drum machine.

Ancientbehemoth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm

Not everyone uses plugin instruments. Vurt mentioned earlier that he’d be okay just using OBS, recording direct from modular/eurorack into OBS.

Not sure what Soundmodel does, but just saying the answer is going to be vastly different for everyone.

I don’t write that I would use Bitwig only because I don’t use it and don’t want to fall down the rabbit hole of learning one more DAW (after ProTools, Logic, Reaper, Cubase, remember Acid? And Live). I’m sticking with Live as my personal preference.

But damn… You can pick almost any of these and still get by, which shows how far hosts have gone to become a one-stop shop for everything.

Metasynth, the 1999 version on Mac OS 9

I would like a DAW that is always as stable/reliable as the hardware its emulating. I go through periods of working entirely in a DAW and then completely back to tape because I don't have time to figure out DAW bugs.
Ubuntu Studio/Bitwig

I do not use any included plug-ins from Ardour, at least not anymore. Before, I used ZynAddSubFX and Calf Studio Gear, mostly Fluidsynth.

Well consider that 3rd party plug-ins offer different things. Reason does not come with e.g. Neve and API -style channels, if one'd like those. It does not come with advanced distortions. It does not have a good limiter. It does not come with a particularly large sample library either.

With the cost difference, Reaper allows you more choice w.r.t. to what you really want. If you want a box solution, then it's not exactly that.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 pm Saying one would like to just put one thing on their computer to make it their music workstation and without having to add any other plug-in, which DAW would that be?
Logic :tu:

machinesworking wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:25 pmAlchemy and the meat of CamelPhat are in Logic
Also, CamelSpace!

Reason, but if I could use just one third-party synth, for example, Avenger then Cubase.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

soundmodel wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 am

Well consider that 3rd party plug-ins offer different things. Reason does not come with e.g. Neve and API -style channels, if one'd like those. It does not come with advanced distortions. It does not have a good limiter. It does not come with a particularly large sample library either.

With the cost difference, Reaper allows you more choice w.r.t. to what you really want. If you want a box solution, then it's not exactly that.
blablabla consider reading the actual topic before you answer :P

:hihi: you must be new here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”