Softube Bus Processor (wtf?)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today a student asked me about the Softube Bus Processor, and I didn't really know what to say.
Any clue about this thing?
Is it a good investment?
Is it a snake oil?
Does anyone use it for mixing tasks?
thx in advance

The SSL Bus Compressor 2 that's still on sale until tomorrow I believe is a much better alternative.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Yet another Bus compressor. There are dozens of them on the interwebs.

shadywalaa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm Today a student asked me about the Softube Bus Processor, and I didn't really know what to say.
Is it a good investment?
Is it a snake oil?
thx in advance
To be completely honest I am worried that someone asking questions in such a way is teaching someone else anything let alone music. You certainly do not sound as refined as a teacher. Asking questions is fine but the way you did it as a supposed teacher...man..

Someone with teaching capabilities should have teaching capabilities and experience no? And be able to type in Google Softube Bus Processor and make up their own mind about the company and the product. Just by looking at the product page. No?

Am I guessing correctly? You are some sort of online teacher, right?
Last edited by kmonkey on Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

double post

cdbaksu wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:38 pm The SSL Bus Compressor 2 that's still on sale until tomorrow I believe is a much better alternative.
Actually I wanted to buy it. But my antivirus said that their product manager has a trojan and removed it. Lol. False positive certainly, but I skipped.

Get a proper antivirus. :P

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm Get a proper antivirus. :P
Well, I haven't had this problem for ages really. But Kaspersky didn't like it. So I couldn't demo it. Was too lazy to add exception to the antivirus database.

I have Ik-Multimedia Bus compressor. Do they differ enough to check the ssl comp again?

Igro wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm Get a proper antivirus. :P
Well, I haven't had this problem for ages really. But Kaspersky didn't like it. So I couldn't demo it. Was too lazy to add exception to the antivirus database.
FWIW, here's the result of online checks on VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/d89 ... a6c8c51c2a

It's perfectly safe.

Hobbyist here, I demoed and passed.
I get more use from the free Toneboosters' legacy bus comp.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2022/0 ... ters-free/

kmonkey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:14 pm
shadywalaa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm Today a student asked me about the Softube Bus Processor, and I didn't really know what to say.
Is it a good investment?
Is it a snake oil?
thx in advance
To be completely honest I am worried that someone asking questions in such a way is teaching someone else anything let alone music. You certainly do not sound as refined as a teacher. Asking questions is fine but the way you did it as a supposed teacher...man..

Someone with teaching capabilities should have teaching capabilities and experience no? And be able to type in Google Softube Bus Processor and make up their own mind about the company and the product. Just by looking at the product page. No?

Am I guessing correctly? You are some sort of online teacher, right?
Well, don't worry about it. I teach music but not production. I'm a professional musician, but I'm just an amateur producer.
The thing is that I've tried the plugin, but I don't feel I can give you a contrasted answer about it. That's why I've come here to ask

Thank you all for your replies. About those who mention other compressors, it turns out that the softube bus has several components, not just compression.

Indeed, Softube Bus Processor is based on the famous SSL Bus Compressor designed to 'glue' tracks, but also features a number of mix polishing tools (saturation, spatialization, and sidechain).

Cytomic Glue

It's a fine enough compressor but lots of other tools do a similar job (see the aforementioned SSL Bus Comp 2)

Is it a good investment?
If you use it sure. Softube makes nice stuff.

Is it a snake oil?
No more than anything else but I don't think there's anything dishonest about their marketing. It's a compressor.

After playing with the demo I opted to not get it. I have gobs of comps and it didn't really seem to offer anything I didn't already have. That being said, I wouldn't mind mixing with it.

Return to “Effects”