Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming it excels at ambient pads rather than cutting leads, plucks etc? Is there not one particular USP that everyone loves?

kraster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:32 am
IvyBirds wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:52 pm
kraster wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm
My point is that everyone is expecting it to behave like synplant
Calm down, most certainly everyone is not expecting it to behave like synplant
"Users want to import a violin sample and morph it into something else"

That's what you said. Synplant attempts to recreate a sound and then allows you to morph it into something else.

This is your expectation with Myth when it's not at all like that.
I never said I wanted it to be like Synplant.

There are many ways a instrument could import a sample and use resynthesis and a synthesis engine to change it into something else that would not sound what Synplant does

I already own several of those like Synclavier V and HALion7

Which use resynthesis and produce different results than Synplant

m-ac wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming it excels at ambient pads rather than cutting leads, plucks etc? Is there not one particular USP that everyone loves?
With the limited time I've spent with it, I would say that yes, it excels at more abstract textures compared to more conventional synths and these are obviously good for ambient pads and drones etc, but like any synth really, you could probably get some decent keys, leads and plucks etc. it just doesn't spit them out easily and liberally like Diva or [insert other more conventional/popular synth].

In terms of USP that I love, mine would be respect and admiration for the developer taking a risk and trying to make a unique and interesting synth, despite it falling short of my own personal expectations and like being unsuitable for me in the long term. It's corny and a bit of a cop out I know, but I think it's worth highlighting and praising all the same :)
Always Read the Manual!

IvyBirds wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:32 pm
kraster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:32 am
IvyBirds wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:52 pm
kraster wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 pm
My point is that everyone is expecting it to behave like synplant
Calm down, most certainly everyone is not expecting it to behave like synplant
"Users want to import a violin sample and morph it into something else"

That's what you said. Synplant attempts to recreate a sound and then allows you to morph it into something else.

This is your expectation with Myth when it's not at all like that.
I never said I wanted it to be like Synplant.

There are many ways a instrument could import a sample and use resynthesis and a synthesis engine to change it into something else that would not sound what Synplant does

I already own several of those like Synclavier V and HALion7

Which use resynthesis and produce different results than Synplant
I'm talking about the type of resynthesis like it is in synplant or Halion or Synclavier or Tomofon or Novum or NI's Form.

ie. Spectral and temporal resynthesis. ie. Recreating a sample using a synth.

PieBerger wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm
m-ac wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming it excels at ambient pads rather than cutting leads, plucks etc? Is there not one particular USP that everyone loves?
With the limited time I've spent with it, I would say that yes, it excels at more abstract textures compared to more conventional synths and these are obviously good for ambient pads and drones etc, but like any synth really, you could probably get some decent keys, leads and plucks etc. it just doesn't spit them out easily and liberally like Diva or [insert other more conventional/popular synth].

In terms of USP that I love, mine would be respect and admiration for the developer taking a risk and trying to make a unique and interesting synth, despite it falling short of my own personal expectations and like being unsuitable for me in the long term. It's corny and a bit of a cop out I know, but I think it's worth highlighting and praising all the same :)
Myth is a really good all rounder.

You can make a six oscillator subtractive synth pretty easily without even involving the Irises. The oscillators have unison and PWM for pulse width etc.

It has fast envelopes, really good filters, tons of sound shaping options, tons of modulations and great effects so no real limitations.

What's cool is that you can grab the resulting output and put that back into into the Irises.

m-ac wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming it excels at ambient pads rather than cutting leads, plucks etc?
It'll definitely do leads, plucks, completely bonkers chaotic noisy stuff...

kraster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 pm

You can make a six oscillator subtractive synth pretty easily without even involving the Irises. The oscillators have unison and PWM for pulse width etc.

It has fast envelopes, really good filters, tons of sound shaping options, tons of modulations and great effects so no real limitations.

What's cool is that you can grab the resulting output and put that back into into the Irises.
There are lots of other great all rounder synths though, that lots of people will already have so I don’t think it’s a strong selling point for Myth. I personally think Dawesome’s other synths are better because they break the mould in a similar way, but are more focused, with wider sweet spots and are easier to program. I would turn to Kult for leads and basses before even thinking about considering Myth because it sounds better out of the gate and is faster to program, for example.

With more use I might come to feel differently about it, but honestly it’s not really pulling me in to explore any further. I don’t really have the time or will to keep throwing sample after sample into it, in the hope something interesting might fall out. Some people love that kind of workflow though and that’s ok. I think calling this a good all rounder is a stretch personally, but that’s just my take.
Always Read the Manual!

kraster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:30 pm

how do you make a six oscillator subtractive synth with it and not use the irises - I thought they were the oscillaltors? And there is only two oscillators?

The Irises are an optional part of the oscillator. You can add 3 wave modules (essentially an osc) per oscillator...if that makes sense.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 220933.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cb8rwh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm The Irises are an optional part of the oscillator. You can add 3 wave modules (essentially an osc) per oscillator...if that makes sense.

thanks for showing that - I had no idea at all :tu: back to explore myth some more. I had given up on it

cb8rwh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:08 pm The Irises are an optional part of the oscillator. You can add 3 wave modules (essentially an osc) per oscillator...if that makes sense.

You can also add FM oscillators to the Oscillator or Filter sections with the FM module: "uses the incoming signal to modulate a low frequency sine wave." Up to 2 in each Oscillator section and 3 in the Filter section for a max of 7. I think that the BTTF module is also modulating an added sine wave and that the Orbit module is acting like an additional oscillator. And you can add 2 BTTF and 2 Orbit modules to each of the Oscillator sections and 3 of each to the Filter section. However you can only add at most 6 modules to each section so the maximum number of oscillators is 6*3+2 = 20 (counting the two irises).

Ou_Tis wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:23 pm

You can also add FM oscillators to the Oscillator or Filter sections with the FM module: "uses the incoming signal to modulate a low frequency sine wave." Up to 2 in each Oscillator section and 3 in the Filter section for a max of 7. I think that the BTTF module is also modulating an added sine wave and that the Orbit module is acting like an additional oscillator. And you can add 2 BTTF and 2 Orbit modules to each of the Oscillator sections and 3 of each to the Filter section. However you can only add at most 6 modules to each section so the maximum number of oscillators is 6*3+2 = 20 (counting the two irises).
20 should do I think - I can always run two instances if I need more :)

I think this synth is very much a personal taste thing but so far I am a fan of this and the results are quite different to other synths I own due to iris and modulation options.

I haven't tried making a bass with it yet but my noodling so far led me to create this track which is probably about 70% myth. I'm no great sound designer but may give people an idea with regard to plucks, pads etc.

Listen to The Darkest Myth by Samiver on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/n2f95

"Buying stuff is a headache at the best of times, and then you try asking the good old internet for some help and it gets more confusing, more costly and best put off for another day.

Last week I tried to buy a microphone. I don’t know what’s good or care how they work, I just wanted to get something that would arrive, plug in and get on with the job.
I gave up before making a decision.
What I needed was for someone to understand my needs, and tell me what to get.

So that’s what I plan to do here, but with hand tools (not any of that techno shite)." ~ Richard Maguire, The English Woodworker
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

databroth wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:20 am
"I know Vital also has an external free resynthesis-- or maybe more accurately called inference?-- plugin too." ~ Borbolactic
"I've seen this, it is more akin to what synplant is doing, in that it uses the engine its self, rather than an array of oscillators. However, from everything I've seen, it is incredibly mediocre, I am sorry to the creator of this tool, but it seems to do poorly at replicating even the most basic sounds. Stuff that you shouldn't even need resynthesis for to begin with." ~ Databroth
What is an 'engine' and since when are the oscillators not part of it?

Also, AFAIK, AI is less about 1-to-1 replication and about inference or interpretation, rather like if you're an AI and I play you a song and you whistle it back to me. Not a perfect replication, but I get something different yet similar to work with.
"If my interest/aesthetic is along the lines of accurate replication or better (think hyperrealistic painting perhaps, and upping the colours and contrast) and a deep, maybe per-partial, control of the sound from there, what might you recommend?" ~ Borbolactic
"Neither Myth, nor Synplant give you 'per-partial control over the sound'.
It's hard for me to make suggestions because the sound material you are using is just as important as your goals. None of the resynthesis tools out there are perfect, they will all stray from various types of sounds, and vary in the complexity of control you can achieve from there." ~ Databroth

What's the best that gives you a good level of per-partial control with resynthesis and/or AI 'resynthesis'/'inference' do you think? Harmor? Is that still the best? Seems odd if it is, yes? Over 10 years old? Virsyn's Cube 2? Parsec 2 or Razor with those stupid rack/reaktor matryoshkas? Neither of the latter 2 seem to do resynthesis. And Harmor's on the way out WRT it being free from being matryoshkafied, such as within a DAW.

Someone here says HALion7. But, 'sample-based'? What does that mean? Doesn't look like it does additive/per-partial though. Pigments? Spectral engine any good? Does it do resynthesis? How pricey is UVI Falcon?
"before you read this next paragraph, please know that I am no expert on AI:" ~ Databroth
I somehow doubt you'd be on here if you were. 'u^ <-- right-side-up winkie
"As for the resynthesis and AI, they are all different, often 'AI' in this context means machine learning." ~ Databroth

Or 'artificial intelligence', coupled or including, perhaps, LLM's (large language models) and whatnot. I guess music/sound models/training come into play somewhere in there.
"There is often a model that is trained off of many sound sources, this training is developed over many cycles using a data-set and some sort of sound engine. In synplant, this sound engine is the synth of synplant, so when training, it is using synplant, adjusting controls, and trying to match the sound source. After enough training this is included with the synth as the 'AI model'. The model has some idea of what being 'close to the sound source' is supposed to sound like, but no idea what your particular soundsource will be.
So you import a sample and it goes through a process of trying to get close to that sound source. By the end of this process it gives you a result, the accuracy of this result depends on a few factors, how closely it matches any of the training data, if the engine could even replicate the sound in the first place, how complex the sound is. It is not FFT at all, though 'fft' may play a role in the analysis of the generation to determine if the results are similar or not." ~ Databroth
Sure. Likely a bit like RVC (realtime voice cloning?). I had it on my laptop before Bit Locker locked me out of my own computer. I'm still recovering and in therapy.
"With Myth, it is very similar in terms of the 'AI' training side of things, but the difference is the engine, and the layer splitting. Myths engine (as far as the resynthesis Iris) is based on a complex bin array of many parallel oscillators, this is similar, but not quite 'fft'. The training and generation are similar, but you have a very different engine involved, so different sources have better potential to be replicated. With Myth, the idea isn't perfect replication anyways, 'it's not meant to be a sampler' as Peter has said. It is meant to give you a creative starting point that is unique from traditional oscillators." ~ Databroth
Any link to Myth's manual online that I could take a read? Is Myth ultimately chopping up the inference/resynthesis into grains, perhaps like its other synths or are we getting true synthesis after the fact of the resynthesis? I ask this because granular 'synthesis' doesn't quite seem like true synthesis and more like sampling at the granular level. What do you think? 'Bin arrays'? What's in them? How do they work?
"I think it's too easy to get caught up in resynthesis and AI, it's a LOT of work to go through to not do any sound design, one of the most fun parts of using synths. It's already incredibly easy to not do any sound design, just use presets, or just use samples." ~ Databroth
There are many ways to skin a cat. You can do sound design before the resynthesis, perhaps using layered pots, pans and glasses in the kitchen (maybe with a baby crying for special IR for convolution reverb), or after its been resynthesized. Your call, yes? Fun to be had by all, no mater how approached, yes?
"Perhaps this is because Synplant uses FM oscillators? (I wonder what kind of oscillators Myth uses.)" ~ Borbolactic
"well there's not really such a thing as 'FM oscillators' there are oscillators, and FM is a thing you can do between two oscillators, both Myth and Synplant have FM, Myth doesn't use the FM in the training or resynthesis, it uses the bin array and msegs. Synplant does involve the FM in the resynthesis.
But I think it's far more complicated than this, it has a lot to do with the envelopes as well, and reverb" ~ Databroth
What are 'bin arrays' and how are MSEGS being used in the context of sounds for Myth? Are MSEGS not used (more) in sequencing contexts? In any case, in both those contexts, it would seem the sounds are being granularized. Or, perhaps the sound is being played almost per-partial, but not quite-- more like a wavetable (AKA bin array?), maybe a little like that Tomophone 'synth'?

Anyway, again, would you or anyone reading this know of where Myth's manual might be so I can RTFM?

Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”