One DAW as your only environment/instrument(s)?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:23 pm You mean the way, you read it? Where does it say what’s best?

Here’s one for you… If you don’t like my comments, feel free to block me too. Can’t promise you I won’t quote you because I can’t promise you if I’ll remember you.
I'm guilty of it myself, but I still don't get why men specifically feel the need to argue on the internet about everything?

It 100% gets in the way of anything useful about DAW comparison 101. I would rather go over all the unique features of a DAW vs another DAW than argue about the merits of workarounds, or have to reply to dismissals of features etc. This seems so basic, but any thread with any amount of comparison of DAWs degenerates into petty arguments. I still don't know what the advantages of are of the DAWs I don't own like Cubase or Studio One, because it never gets brought up, it's always petty disagreements that go nowhere.

pdxindy wrote:Live does not support surround sound.
Live DOES support surround sound.
Surround sound is not built into the core application. You can do some janky workaround using M4L.
And there you go. Surround sound is not built into the core app but it's supported via the wanky janky M4L. If you disagree so be it. It won't change my mind.

machinesworking wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:35 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:23 pm You mean the way, you read it? Where does it say what’s best?

Here’s one for you… If you don’t like my comments, feel free to block me too. Can’t promise you I won’t quote you because I can’t promise you if I’ll remember you.
I'm guilty of it myself, but I still don't get why men specifically feel the need to argue on the internet about everything?

It 100% gets in the way of anything useful about DAW comparison 101. I would rather go over all the unique features of a DAW vs another DAW than argue about the merits of workarounds, or have to reply to dismissals of features etc. This seems so basic, but any thread with any amount of comparison of DAWs degenerates into petty arguments. I still don't know what the advantages of are of the DAWs I don't own like Cubase or Studio One, because it never gets brought up, it's always petty disagreements that go nowhere.
True! I updated my Cubase license even though I don’t use it. The mixing class I took years ago was taught through Nuendo and even though I’ve adapted everything in Live, minus the VCAs, I bought it out of curiosity because I didn’t think it could be discussed well enough without arguments, especially as I don’t want to replace Live. A ton of “life” got in the way of digging in deep in Cubase, but I still have aspirations of using more of the arrangement tools.

Studio One is the other one I’ve been very curious about to know what’s different without needing to buy a license or try a demo.

VOODOO U wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:47 pm
pdxindy wrote:Live does not support surround sound.
Live DOES support surround sound.
Surround sound is not built into the core application. You can do some janky workaround using M4L.
And there you go. Surround sound is not built into the core app but it's supported via the wanky janky M4L. If you disagree so be it. It won't change my mind.
I don’t know how much of hype is involved in Dolby-Atmos for non cinematic production. As much as it sounds interesting to hear how it’s supported on streaming platforms, I still wonder how widely adopted it will be. I remember when SACD was the next big things, that really didn’t become the next big thing.

I know its different know with greater access to tools and self publishing that allows for it, but most people I know have gotten rid of so much physical content and opted for stereo listening only. The younger generation in many cases are still using mono playback, or using a single device with a small stereo field and graduating to stereo listening at some point.

I do see a use case in performance, art installations, immersive displays and of course film but I’m still struggling to see it as the next big thing when surround was supposed to be the next big thing for a very long time.

Either way… Thought this might be of interest.

https://www.samryan.ca/post/getting-sta ... objects%22.

elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:00 pm True! I updated my Cubase license even though I don’t use it. The mixing class I took years ago was taught through Nuendo and even though I’ve adapted everything in Live, minus the VCAs, I bought it out of curiosity because I didn’t think it could be discussed well enough without arguments, especially as I don’t want to replace Live. A ton of “life” got in the way of digging in deep in Cubase, but I still have aspirations of using more of the arrangement tools.

Studio One is the other one I’ve been very curious about to know what’s different without needing to buy a license or try a demo.
Yep, all I know about Studio One and Cubase and their strengths is what I got off the occasional youtube video. I know Cubase offers quantized LFO style automation shapes like DP does, i.e. sine, square, etc. and Studio One works very well with the VST3 version of the Vienna Ensemble instruments and VEP.

I'm just much more interested in the nerdy part of it, like acknowledging the advantage of Live and Bitwig with their lack of secondary buffers in terms of real time tweaking and no audio glitches, and their fantastic hardware controller parameters mapped to faders or knobs for any VST you want etc. Or that Logic does spacial audio etc.

Every DAW has workarounds, bugs, something obtuse about it etc. that's not that interesting to me. What is intuitive to one person can be a hinderance to another.

elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 pm I don’t know how much of hype is involved in Dolby-Atmos for non cinematic production. As much as it sounds interesting to hear how it’s supported on streaming platforms, I still wonder how widely adopted it will be.
Surround sound belongs in gaming imo. The last time I heard it being utilized outside of film was at a Beastie Boys concert at a velodrome i think mid or late 90s. It was cool but nothing that inspired the audience. We were fine with them just going up there and doing their thing.

Not that I'm opposed to having a car system with surround sound. It'd be interesting to have guitars panned left and right while the solo plays in the back dead center while a delay bus is set to drift at angles (in the rear).

VOODOO U wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:01 am
elxsound wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 pm I don’t know how much of hype is involved in Dolby-Atmos for non cinematic production. As much as it sounds interesting to hear how it’s supported on streaming platforms, I still wonder how widely adopted it will be.
Surround sound belongs in gaming imo. The last time I heard it being utilized outside of film was at a Beastie Boys concert at a velodrome i think mid or late 90s. It was cool but nothing that inspired the audience. We were fine with them just going up there and doing their thing.

Not that I'm opposed to having a car system with surround sound. It'd be interesting to have guitars panned left and right while the solo plays in the back dead center while a delay bus is set to drift at angles (in the rear).
Gaming is one of the only places outside of an art installation or performance where it can actually be immersive.

The problem with it in a streaming environment is that the listener needs to remain in a fixed position for the best results to be reproduced.

Now if there was a way to have the same relative sound experience like in gaming, then I’d be less skeptical.

elxsound wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:35 am The problem with it in a streaming environment is that the listener needs to remain in a fixed position for the best results to be reproduced.
Couldn't you say that for standard stereo panning as well? I feel one of the reasons surround sound hasn't caught on with popular music is one can't get the same impact as one can with standard stereo.
When you start widenig sounds and having them spaced all over the place it affects the song.
This is obvious with just stereo panning.

VOODOO U wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:36 am
elxsound wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:35 am The problem with it in a streaming environment is that the listener needs to remain in a fixed position for the best results to be reproduced.
Couldn't you say that for standard stereo panning as well? I feel one of the reasons surround sound hasn't caught on with popular music is one can't get the same impact as one can with standard stereo.
When you start widenig sounds and having them spaced all over the place it affects the song.
This is obvious with just stereo panning.
we don't all do "songs".
although, the one time i tried production with surround sound, i literally made myself sick.

Supercollider or Pure data .
Hard to choose
Reaktor doesn' really qualify since it's severly limited in the midi department
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

vurt wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:12 pm we don't all do "songs".
ALERT! You have been hit by Selective Visual Attention. Immediately re-read the original post and pay close attention to the context.

[[END TRANSMISSION]]

one time i tried production with surround sound, i literally made myself sick.
Well if you can make yourself sick with surround sound than you can make yourself feel healthy no? For every yin there's a yang for every yang there's a yin.
Every coin has two sides.
If there is up, there must be down.
If there's an east wall then there must be a wall that is in the east.
For every hot noodle the noodle is hot.

im not a doctor of medicine sorry.

Today? If I was left to install one single DAW and nothing else and be left to a desert island with no way to install anything else but still be able to have 220V/110V AC to charge my MacBook for the rest of my life?
Probably Bitwig. If you asked me 2 weeks ago, it would have been Live, approx. 3 years ago Logic, and something about 10 years ago FL Studio
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:54 am Today? If I was left to install one single DAW and nothing else and be left to a desert island with no way to install anything else but still be able to have 220V/110V AC to charge my MacBook for the rest of my life?
Probably Bitwig. If you asked me 2 weeks ago, it would have been Live, approx. 3 years ago Logic, and something about 10 years ago FL Studio
How would you be able ro charge your Macbook pro on a deserted island for the rest of your life? A generator eventually runs out and contrary to what's told on Youtube, you can't charge an electrical device with coconuts.

tough question is a tough question.... hmm
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”