Logic Pro 10.8 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

roman.i wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:39 pm
eclipxe wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:30 pm
roman.i wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:16 pm It doesn’t seem to have any major redesign, so what is making it a new major version?
A new major version doesn't mean there has to be a redesign.
Major version in software is an incompatible API change or a major underlying code rewrite.
In software that has no APIs the only interaction with the user is the visual interface, the interface should change at least. So what is a breaking change if all looks and behaves the same?
Logic was at the version 10 since 2013 and added tons of features and plugins since then.
But now they bumping a version, why? It has to be one of the two options.
We will see some major change in ergonomics,
or they just want to get hyped like the other kids on the block.
Let's bump the number for no reason and make it for free,
while others bumping the version for making more money from the same product.
It's arbitrary. Apple could have named it Logic 2024 or something. It doesn't really matter. It seems for the most part that Apple has settled on Logic having life time updates. If that's the case the numbers don't really matter. They have had at least 3 major interface changes within the lifetime of X. 10.7 changed the interface quite a bit if I recall.

That being said the major version number is probably to put non Apple Silicon users on notice. This version already has Apple Silicon only features I'm sure that's going to accelerate going forward. So if you really need a reason for why version 11, there you go.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

machinesworking wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:55 pm I got all excited at first with Stem separation. I'm currently trying to rebalance some two track reel to reel mixes of my old band, all that's left are poor mixes in decent quality.

First laugh, iZotope rode the wrong horse in with ARA support for RX, as Apple steal the idea completely, music rebalance in Apple literally looks exactly like the RX version. I'll say it's super unlikely that iZotope update ARA support for Apple Silicon now.

Secondly, they're behind the curve here, there's a new online separation tool that separates out guitar from keyboards, and is working on separating out piano from keyboards. I'll try the Logic version when it comes out for sure, it's completely up in the air whether it's worse or better than the RX version, their pitch and time algorithms aren't the best, but the AI is off the charts. It's just bizarre to me they didn't try to jump the competition with Guitar separation.
ARA Apple Silicon compatibility isnt up to izotope but Apple unfortunately - and it’s not like RX isn’t used for tons more stuff already

Ploki wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:45 am ARA Apple Silicon compatibility isnt up to izotope but Apple unfortunately - and it’s not like RX isn’t used for tons more stuff already
ARA is working with a half dozen other applications obviously in Apple Silicon with other DAWs, and Logic decided to copy the Music Rebalance instead of getting ARA working. I just don't think they think it's that important? Is ARA broken for other applications? Melodyne etc?

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 am ARA is working with a half dozen other applications obviously in Apple Silicon with other DAWs, and Logic decided to copy the Music Rebalance instead of getting ARA working. I just don't think they think it's that important? Is ARA broken for other applications? Melodyne etc?
Yes it’s broken for melodyne as well.
It works for VST and i assume AAX.
Since going silicon, logic is sandboxed from plugins which interferes with ARA somehow - celemony has stated on numerous occasions they can’t fix ARA on Logic because it’s on Apple

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 am
Ploki wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:45 am ARA Apple Silicon compatibility isnt up to izotope but Apple unfortunately - and it’s not like RX isn’t used for tons more stuff already
ARA is working with a half dozen other applications obviously in Apple Silicon with other DAWs, and Logic decided to copy the Music Rebalance instead of getting ARA working. I just don't think they think it's that important? Is ARA broken for other applications? Melodyne etc?
I mean if Apple copied Music Rebalance then so did everyone else. It's not exactly a novel thing anymore and making people buy a fairly expensive piece of software ($799 for RX Advanced) to do it doesn't make sense when it can just be done in the DAW for free.

This feature is coming to there DAWS. FLStudio has it in their beta. MPC just added it. Serato Sample has it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if other DAWs followed suit. It's an easy box to check off in the "things that use AI" trend checklist.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

RX rebalance is based on splitter by deezer as pretty much everything except SpectraLayers that expanded on the concept and used a different dataset

(At least that was the case a few months ago)

This topic is pointless now.
Post your comments in relevant topics pls

mdx4ever wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:17 pm This topic is pointless now.
Post your comments in relevant topics pls
Most topics on KVR are pointless after 3 pages…

But still, interesting to see what other stuff changes under the hood. I’m well past getting excited by new features, got stuck back in 2019 or so. Been using Logic since before it was Logic & just want everything to work properly now instead of having to troubleshoot the whole time. Kudos to Apple for giving it free again
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Even though the announcements for Logic 11 seem to focus on more tools, especially using AI, I somehow believe there will be some improvement, updates for the core features (GUI redesigns, workflow things) too and maybe even one or two surprises. It would be weird to not have this in a major update.

A nice surprise would be properly rendered waveforms

Ploki wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:10 pm A nice surprise would be properly rendered waveforms
I would welcome that too - some things about Logic are a bit old and weird. Just a question of time. Sometimes for me it's just little things that I want to see changed: I dislike how the library automatically opens when I open DMD. All the stock content like instruments patches and drum kits (and Apple loops) can only be loaded directly from the library with effects and bus routings on them already. I would love to have the option to disable that. I want to decide which effects I add and not always having to delete a whole channel strip + buses first.

Ploki wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:11 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 am ARA is working with a half dozen other applications obviously in Apple Silicon with other DAWs, and Logic decided to copy the Music Rebalance instead of getting ARA working. I just don't think they think it's that important? Is ARA broken for other applications? Melodyne etc?
Yes it’s broken for melodyne as well.
It works for VST and i assume AAX.
Since going silicon, logic is sandboxed from plugins which interferes with ARA somehow - celemony has stated on numerous occasions they can’t fix ARA on Logic because it’s on Apple
Oh OK, that makes sense, ARA works just fine with DP and I would bet Reaper but I haven't tried it there.

apoclypse wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 pm I mean if Apple copied Music Rebalance then so did everyone else. It's not exactly a novel thing anymore and making people buy a fairly expensive piece of software ($799 for RX Advanced) to do it doesn't make sense when it can just be done in the DAW for free.

This feature is coming to there DAWS. FLStudio has it in their beta. MPC just added it. Serato Sample has it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if other DAWs followed suit. It's an easy box to check off in the "things that use AI" trend checklist.
To be fair, I only own RX standard and it's included there.

Most of the tech for this is open source from what I've found online. Unfortunately in my experience so far it doesn't work that well on 35 year old mixed 2 track recordings you want to rebalance etc. None of them so far have worked well. They probably work great with heavily mastered commercially released material. With some old unmastered band mixes I have it leaves major artifacts.

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:52 pm
apoclypse wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:39 pm I mean if Apple copied Music Rebalance then so did everyone else. It's not exactly a novel thing anymore and making people buy a fairly expensive piece of software ($799 for RX Advanced) to do it doesn't make sense when it can just be done in the DAW for free.

Most of the tech for this is open source from what I've found online. Unfortunately in my experience so far it doesn't work that well on 35 year old mixed 2 track recordings you want to rebalance etc. None of them so far have worked well. They probably work great with heavily mastered commercially released material. With some old unmastered band mixes I have it leaves major artifacts.
Yep. I have RX and have used it to isolate the drums on an older track and it didn't that well there. Changed the character of the reset of the track too much in places. I tried it on vocals and that wasn't great either. I haven't used the other stuff available but I kind wrote off Music Rebalance after that. I don't know if it's gotten better. I am on RX 10.

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:52 pm

Try SpectraLayers, might fare better

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”