Cherry Audio synth coming out May 14 (ARP Rhodes Chroma?!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In 2024 we still have interface thats several decades old. Why Cherry Audio, just why?

I'm not a price complainer, HOWEVER, Cherry Audio have been increasing their prices ever so slyly. Went from regular prices of $49 for a while, then $59, then lately it's been $69 with a $79 synth sneaking in, and now we're apparently at a new high of $89. Sales or intro prices are usually $20 off. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not gonna pay $69 for a new Cherry Audio synth moving forward. Granted, they ARE tackling synths that haven't been done before, but the quality is just not there to be charging higher prices just yet.

I like Dreamsynth...

They should release some more original designs :tu:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Fri May 17, 2024 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

I owned a Chroma for twenty years (1983-2003) and I must say this thing is almost like the original. Differences are very very small. Believe or not this is a good work. Period.
Ps I owned also a Prophet and an OB8, they don’t were so beautiful for the sound as the Chroma. The raw sound, i am telling.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm I'm not a price complainer, HOWEVER, Cherry Audio have been increasing their prices ever so slyly. Went from regular prices of $49 for a while, then $59, then lately it's been $69 with a $79 synth sneaking in, and now we're apparently at a new high of $89. Sales or intro prices are usually $20 off. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not gonna pay $69 for a new Cherry Audio synth moving forward. Granted, they ARE tackling synths that haven't been done before, but the quality is just not there to be charging higher prices just yet.
I disagree. I think $69 is a fair price and I think the quality is amazing. Pricing is dependent on the market so it's entirely up to the developers on what they charge. For example, the new Legend HZ is $179 and that is outrageous imo, but again, if people are going to still buy it, they can charge whatever they like.
<list your stupid gear here>

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:44 pm In 2024 we still have interface thats several decades old. Why Cherry Audio, just why?
I tried the demo, and it very much reminds me of the PPG WaveGenerator interface in a good way. At first, it looks ugly because you are seeing values. However, once you click on them, you drag them up and down like they are sliders.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm I'm not a price complainer, HOWEVER, Cherry Audio have been increasing their prices ever so slyly. Went from regular prices of $49 for a while, then $59, then lately it's been $69 with a $79 synth sneaking in, and now we're apparently at a new high of $89. Sales or intro prices are usually $20 off. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not gonna pay $69 for a new Cherry Audio synth moving forward. Granted, they ARE tackling synths that haven't been done before, but the quality is just not there to be charging higher prices just yet.
For the record:

Mercury-6 - March 2023 - $49
Novachord + Solovox - May 2023 - $39
Octave Cat- July 2023 - $49
Harmonia - August 2023 - $49
PS-3300 - October 2023 - $49
Pro Soloist - November 2023 - $49
Synthesizer Expander Module - December 2023 - Free
CR-78 - February 2024 - $49

We have no $79 synth. We don't do intro prices.

Chroma has been the most requested instrument since the release of GX-80. We spent a year and a half to get it just right. We think $69 is justified and, in this market, still an awesome deal. You don't have to purchase it. But it would be nice if you could stick with the facts.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John; Director of Marketing @ Cherry Audio

Oh, are we doing that thing again where we can't make a new thread for the new release for creepy reasons?

I am sticking to the facts. Not trying to argue or anything, but I was looking at your regular prices, and the stuff in bold down below is from your website.
rsaintjohn wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 pm
For the record:

Mercury-6 - March 2023 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69
Novachord + Solovox - May 2023 - $39 REGULAR PRICE: $59
Octave Cat- July 2023 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69
Harmonia - August 2023 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69
PS-3300 - October 2023 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69
Pro Soloist - November 2023 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69
Synthesizer Expander Module - December 2023 - Free
CR-78 - February 2024 - $49 REGULAR PRICE: $69

We have no $79 synth. YES YOU DO, IT'S CALLED THE GX-80. We don't do intro prices. WELL THEN, CHROMA IS NEW AND ON SALE RIGHT NOW ON RELEASE DAY.

Chroma has been the most requested instrument since the release of GX-80. We spent a year and a half to get it just right. We think $69 is justified (REGULAR PRICE $89) and, in this market, still an awesome deal. You don't have to purchase it. But it would be nice if you could stick with the facts.

I never got to play a Chroma back in the day as I don't think we ever had one in the shop but if Cherry Audio nailed the sound of the hardware it is one of the worst sounding synths ever produced.

I can't remember the last time I was this unimpressed with a plugin. It just goes to show that some hardware synths are best left to rust on the junk heap of history. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Regular “list” price is provided that way for resellers. No one pays that price.
Robert
--

Regular “list” price is provided that way for resellers. No one pays that price.
Robert
--

rsaintjohn wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 pm We don't do intro prices.
Oh, and just real quick. This is from Musicradar in 2021 when Polymode was released:

"It’s currently available for the introductory price of $29, down from the regular price of $49."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/cherry- ... e-problems
Last edited by hurricaneaudiolab on Tue May 14, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:11 pm I never got to play a Chroma back in the day as I don't think we ever had one in the shop but if Cherry Audio nailed the sound of the hardware it is one of the worst sounding synths ever produced.

I can't remember the last time I was this unimpressed with a plugin. It just goes to show that some hardware synths are best left to rust on the junk heap of history. :shrug:
Icarus 3, Spire, and Hive can all sound more analog than the Chroma plugin. As for the Chroma synth, I did briefly play on it at the Synthesizer Museum in Oakland, CA back in 2017. At least the factory presets sounded sterile and cold, and the original synth's filters do not self-oscillate. Most of the videos of the Chroma on YT don't impress me much, and they make me appreciate my Hdyrasynth more.

If you download the demo, you can listen to the rather dull factory presets which I assume are close to or exactly the same as the original. Then you can listen to the newer presets and compare how much better the sound design is with effects etc. I actually like the digital sounding synth, it fits perfectly well with modern sounds. This isn't a warm analog synth by any standard and I don't think it is meant to be.
<list your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”