The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

I can’t find any S&H modulation. Using MSEGs is not the same (and tedious to draw), and the random entries in the MM only change with a new note. Am I wrong ?

No, the MiniMoog never had a proper LFO so neither does this. It's one the (many) reasons I always preferred ARP synths.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:46 am I always preferred ARP synths.
You are a good Man, BONES!
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

BONES wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:46 am No, the MiniMoog never had a proper LFO so neither does this. It's one the (many) reasons I always preferred ARP synths.
Arturia's does! :) I think many people have forgotten Arturia recently rewrote the Mini V. It sounds good, has LFO and MSEG modulation, and comes with a ton of effects (even OTT!). It also has that neat VCF Bass Compensation option for resonance. Though it lacks six oscillators, Mini V is perhaps the closest competitor to The Legend HZ among the popular emulations when it comes to extending the concept of the Minimoog.

SebAV wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:17 am I can’t find any S&H modulation. Using MSEGs is not the same (and tedious to draw), and the random entries in the MM only change with a new note. Am I wrong ?
At least it's possible to simulate a S&H shape with an MSEG and reload it when needed. I tried it and it worked "ok", but you're right that it's tedious, and it's not the same really.

Also, I guess there's no way to have the shape that's drawn snap to a grid? That would make it much easier to create.

I just tried it with the Sequencer set to 32 steps, set some sorta random values for each step's parameter#1 (much faster than setting up a MSEG), mode set to Random, and in the MM I set filter cutoff this way:
Fake S-H to cutoff.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If you're willing to use the sequencer for the random S&H effect, you just need to:
- choose "Random" as the Source
- choose whatever parameter as Destination
- turn the ARP on, at whatever RATE
- play a note and tweak the mod AMT to taste

Using the sequencer for the S&H effect has its drawbacks though, i.e. the sequencer acts globally and sends repeated gate input signals to things you might not want to affect (the two ADSRs). So it depends on the patch.

Overall, as bad as it might sound, I'd probably one-and-done spend 20 minutes drawing the most random-looking MSEG possible, and save it as a template.
Actually at that point it's probably better to draw and save one with discrete steps and one with oblique segments to simulate S&H "glide".

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:18 am OB-E has 8 voices, each with 2 oscillators. AFAIK, the voices are pannable, not the oscillators, and I assume this is what everyone wants when they’re asking for pannable oscillators. If I’m wrong and you all want pannable oscillators, that would be cool, too, but it would have less spread with chords and would require each voice’s filters to be stereo.
The voice spread knob is fine. I don't think individual panning for each oscillator makes much sense. If you put one osc left and another right, their interesting interaction might get lost.

In the top bar, I think it might have been better to put the main <-> FX switch on the right side and use the long center section for the patch name and browser. This would also allow for longer patch names.

bonch wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pmThough it lacks six oscillators, Mini V is perhaps the closest competitor to The Legend HZ among the popular emulations when it comes to extending the concept of the Minimoog.
GForce also recently upgraded MiniMonsta with similar features but neither really compete with L-HZ. It has gone well beyond the realms of a simple emulation. HZ has said the sound reminds him more of his massive wall of modular shit more than any other softsynth he's used. Nobody is saying that about Arturia's thing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm
bonch wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pmThough it lacks six oscillators, Mini V is perhaps the closest competitor to The Legend HZ among the popular emulations when it comes to extending the concept of the Minimoog.
GForce also recently upgraded MiniMonsta with similar features but neither really compete with L-HZ. It has gone well beyond the realms of a simple emulation. HZ has said the sound reminds him more of his massive wall of modular shit more than any other softsynth he's used. Nobody is saying that about Arturia's thing.
Well, he didn't say it reminds him of it "more than any other softsynth he's used" or bring up his modular wall. He said it's close to the real thing and mentioned the Moog gear he has "floating around."

Mini V4's sound was well regarded when it came out last December. I've been able to get pretty close to the sound of the Legend HZ presets in the various Youtube demos. Nothing mysterious going on. Compression, saturation, and other effects carry the sound.

Not knocking The Legend HZ. I think a beefed up Minimoog is a good concept, and I like analog emulations that move beyond the original hardware in capabilities and UI. I'm just pointing out to folks with the most recent V Collection update that they do already have a version of an expanded Minimoog.

Niowiad wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 pm Overall, as bad as it might sound, I'd probably one-and-done spend 20 minutes drawing the most random-looking MSEG possible, and save it as a template.
Unfortunately the mseg templates are binary, so no chance to create them by a script. :wink:

Chris-S wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:06 am
Niowiad wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:03 pm Overall, as bad as it might sound, I'd probably one-and-done spend 20 minutes drawing the most random-looking MSEG possible, and save it as a template.
Unfortunately the mseg templates are binary, so no chance to create them by a script. :wink:
Oh that would have been a good idea.

Big fan of Zebra 2, then I later got ZebraHZ (in 2013). I have owned Dune 3 for a long time; I like it a lot too. I wasn't that impressed with The Legend, having already owned Diva and Arturia Mini Moog V. Just learned of The Legend HZ as of today; it sounds impressive on video. Looking forward to trying the demo. Still waiting for Zebra 3 (yes, I know of Zebralette 3). I wonder if it would have been a Zebra 3HZ instead if u-he wasn't so slow in releasing Zebra 3.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

bonch wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:31 amMini V4's sound was well regarded when it came out last December. I've been able to get pretty close to the sound of the Legend HZ presets in the various Youtube demos.
You haven't even used the f**king thing and you're passing judgement. Go away and come back once you've spent time with the trial version and tried to match some of those presets with your pathetic little Arturia pile of krap. I don't even bother installing that shit on my computers any more. Arturia's stuff just isn't in the same league as the best emulations. It's the perfect example of quantity over quality.

BONES wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:02 am
bonch wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:31 amMini V4's sound was well regarded when it came out last December. I've been able to get pretty close to the sound of the Legend HZ presets in the various Youtube demos.
You haven't even used the f**king thing and you're passing judgement. Go away and come back once you've spent time with the trial version and tried to match some of those presets with your pathetic little Arturia pile of krap. I don't even bother installing that shit on my computers any more. Arturia's stuff just isn't in the same league as the best emulations. It's the perfect example of quantity over quality.
Whoa. You're an extremely angry person for no reason. I can't even take you seriously.

Passing judgement? Are you hallucinating? I didn't criticize The Legend or this HZ update. I have used this. I've owned The Legend for years, and I downloaded the trial version of HZ.

Nobody cares if you don't install Arturia software on your computer. I was only pointing out to Arturia owners that Mini V was recently updated and is another example of expanding the Minimoog with modern modulation and effects. I can sufficiently match the sound of many of the presets, in fact. That's not a knock against The Legend HZ. It's really weird that you take it that way.

Other emulations are going to come up in this thread. It's something that's going to happen in any thread about a plug-in because this is a website about plug-ins. Thank goodness that sort of in-depth discussion and comparison still takes place instead of blind "bought this without demoing" prostration. If you have a meltdown over that, you need to take a break, go outside, and stop getting angry about plug-ins.

Return to “Instruments”