Coming up: Yamaha Montage standalone VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, it is a great move by yamaha and makes montage a lot more attractive for usage in song projects.

However the montage vst currently only is a player with same macro controls. Zenology is a complete synth, so i think you can’t compare those.

Any idea if Yamaha is going to add a full editor to the montage vst?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:25 amHowever the montage vst currently only is a player with same macro controls. Zenology is a complete synth, so i think you can’t compare those.
As Yamaha released the present version, on schedule, there’s little reason to doubt the full version (which they've promised) won’t follow "by summer".

With regard to the hardware angle I think there’s a comparison to be had with the Fantom. But it depends on whether you view Zenology as its own thing or a software representation of the Fantom. If it’s the latter then it’s very much an incomplete synth, which also costs almost $1,000 once you add as much of the missing base Fantom content as you can. Whereas, even in its current form, the Montage M plugin has the complete engine.

Beyond this they’re (obviously) their own things, and I like Zenology even if it currently takes 3 hours to launch (Disclaimer: Slight exaggeration :) ). The point was more to give some context regarding potential pricing. IE I don't think it likely a fully editable version (whenever it appears to non-Montage M owners) will cost less than $400, and probably more. But I'd be very happy for Yamaha to prove that wrong ;)

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:25 am Well, it is a great move by yamaha and makes montage a lot more attractive for usage in song projects.

However the montage vst currently only is a player with same macro controls. Zenology is a complete synth, so i think you can’t compare those.

Any idea if Yamaha is going to add a full editor to the montage vst?
"The first version will have all the MONTAGE M sound while being limited to basic editing. The full version will be available in Summer 2024"
Fernando (FMR)

https://youtu.be/NrISTHXtlfk?si=9lyQ5oI7rLVliGlH

Audio starts, at 6:22
What an amazing synth, omg

I recently upgraded from Halion Sonic to Halion 7 and it’s a different engine internally. I think Yamaha/Steinberg unified their synth engines (Halion/Montage) but aren’t saying it up front. For example the FM engines are the same. Halion seems to use a less “lossless” version of AWM. They added this frequency oscillator thing. Yep. Both synths.

My guess is that the new Montage VST is actually Halion with a different VA engine, but minus a lot of what Halion offers probably due to CPU. I think that’s why with version 7 of Halion we got literally no library updates. $399 vs $3999 is a lot left on the table. Unfortunately we Halion users kinda suffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lajG2CP2S30

Morph feature is cool and coming to the VST version at some point, they also say the Montage won't be basically a dongle, but it's still exclusive to Montage owners, still haven't seen anybody do any comparison sounds of the ANX engine with AN1X though so I'm still on the fence for this

Digivolt wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:58 pm still haven't seen anybody do any comparison sounds of the ANX engine with AN1X though so I'm still on the fence for this
Owner of a Montage M here along with being a long term owner of a Motif ES with the AN-X card installed so I know how both sound

The new AN1X is not really a remake of the old ANX engine. While both sound like "Yamaha Style VA" the new will not recreate patches from the old in a 1:1 way

ANX sounds very 90s while AN1X sound like a modern VA with a 90s flair

Agreed, there's a potential Derek Cook may be working on a converter, but no promises > https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20210
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Seems like a huge missed opportunity on Yamaha's part to not offer the Montage M Software as a standalone plugin. Is it really that important that the software is exclusive to the hardware owners?

I can't imagine Yamaha would lose money on their hardware by offering the software separately.

HydrogenHuman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:22 pm Seems like a huge missed opportunity on Yamaha's part to not offer the Montage M Software as a standalone plugin. Is it really that important that the software is exclusive to the hardware owners?

I can't imagine Yamaha would lose money on their hardware by offering the software separately.
The Montage plugin needs to function as an editor librarian for the hardware. As such it's kind of a dead end from a plugin perspective as you can't update and add things to the software without also doing the same in the hardware

Montage has three main engines FM-X, AWM2, and AN1-X. FM-X has already been ported over to HALion. As someone who considers themselves to be a power user of both Montage M and HALion I am very happy the FM-X is different in both. While the underlying architecture is the same there are various modulation options which differ, effects that differ, and FM-X has more waveforms inside of HALion7 that allow it to make FM patches from the old Yamaha TX81Z and SY99. The way you edit everything is also different as one is done with a dedicated hardware synth controller while the other is done via a mouse that can use MIDI learn to control things

My guess is the same will happen with AWM2 and AN1-X. AWM2 would be a welcome addition to HALion and having it be separate from the hardware means that it can grow and develop on its own just like FM-X does. The same can be said with AN1-X

Yamaha is spending way to much money and time to have this just be a free value add for Montage users only

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:47 pm Montage has three main engines FM-X, AWM2, and AN1-X. FM-X has already been ported over to HALion.
FM Lab is not FM-X, FM-X is not FM Lab. Only a couple of stuff are included
At the moment AN-X is exclusively to the Montage M

HydrogenHuman wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:22 pm Seems like a huge missed opportunity on Yamaha's part to not offer the Montage M Software as a standalone plugin. Is it really that important that the software is exclusive to the hardware owners?

I don't think so. Montage is mainly a synth for stage. Owners was asking a software editor for ages.

Gam456 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:20 pm
IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:47 pm Montage has three main engines FM-X, AWM2, and AN1-X. FM-X has already been ported over to HALion.
FM Lab is not FM-X, FM-X is not FM Lab. Only a couple of stuff are included
FM Lab absolutely is FM-X even Steinberg says so right on the product page for it
https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/fm-lab/

The difference is exactly as I said. In HALion7 you get the extra FM waveforms that are in the TX81Z and the SY99. You actually get more features with FM-X inside of HALion7 than you do in Montage

It's why if you go to the product page Steinberg says

"FM-X and DX7 emulation with DX7 and TX81Z SYX file import"

And

"The Algorithm Finder is loaded with all the algorithms from Yamaha’s legendary DX7, TX81Z and modern FM-X synth engine"

Obviously you have never used either if you think FM-X is not inside of HALion7

When the algorithms are the same and the same exact waveforms that are inside of Montage are exactly the same and Steinberg calls it FM-X it's FM-X what else would it be?

Of course Yamaha would use a huge amount of money by offering plugin to everyone. Montage M is one of the mist amazing synths I have ever seen and heard.
Since I don't get the plugin, I am going to buy the synth and now start calculating to find out whether they earned more by selling me the (hardware) synth or just the plugin for $790 only.!

DCrown wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:04 am

Of course Yamaha would use a huge amount of money by offering plugin to everyone. Montage M is one of the mist amazing synths I have ever seen and heard.
Since I don't get the plugin, I am going to buy the synth and now start calculating to find out whether they earned more by selling me the (hardware) synth or just the plugin for $790 only.!
Sure, there are people like you, but I suspect there are a lot more people like me who would never, under any circumstances buy the hardware. So Yamaha’s option is get nothing from me, or something. Sure, there will be a few lost hardware sales, but my guess is that they’ll be more than made up for by all the people who don’t need or have room for their hardware synth but would like the plugin.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I understand you, but how many would really buy a plugin worth lots more than 1.000 USD?! 790 is my guess for black friday price (maybe 40% off!?).
I suppose Yamaha addresses this product to professionals first and foremost and a professional should easily be able to afford the hardware synth, even if he wouldn't use the hardware at all.

Have you thought about buying the hardware with plugin included and then selling the hardware unused for a good price keeping the plugin.
Should be possible!?

Return to “Instruments”