Arturia Xmas Gift Reverb PLATE-140

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Burillo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:54 pm physical model != non-deterministic output. it is entirely possible for a model to be accurate yet produce bit-identical result for a given input every time.
it is.
however in this case, probably not likely, as a real plate wouldn't, so its either not that accurate or not a model. doesn't mean its bad tho

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 pm
Burillo wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:54 pm physical model != non-deterministic output. it is entirely possible for a model to be accurate yet produce bit-identical result for a given input every time.
it is.
however in this case, probably not likely, as a real plate wouldn't, so its either not that accurate or not a model. doesn't mean its bad tho
that's a fairly unorthodox understanding of how algorithms work. as i said earlier, it would only produce different results only if there was some randomization in the model (something i've only seen in u-he Satin, and there, the "randomization" part is the noise, which is done that way to prevent buildup across tracks, not for any kind of "authenticity").

you can of course argue that none of the plugins modeling hardware are "accurate" or aren't "models" because they don't have this randomization, but in that case, your opinion is kind of irrelevant.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:03 pm So... does this mean we have been scammed?
no...why?

well, i don't think so ;-)
shouldn't ruin Xmas :-)

I have tried to get the gift for 3 days now and nothing has showed up in my Arturia Manager or account.

Sorry, your Xmas seems to be ruined...

Burillo wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 pm
that's a fairly unorthodox understanding of how algorithms work. as i said earlier, it would only produce different results only if there was some randomization in the model (something i've only seen in u-he Satin, and there, the "randomization" part is the noise, which is done that way to prevent buildup across tracks, not for any kind of "authenticity").

you can of course argue that none of the plugins modeling hardware are "accurate" or aren't "models" because they don't have this randomization, but in that case, your opinion is kind of irrelevant.
That's not entirely true, almost all across u-he synth range you have voice drift which adds dirt in it.
to quote u-he zebra manual (which is not even a VA)
Voice Drift
If set to On, each new note is slightly detuned, emulating the imprecise pitch of classic analogue oscillators. Switch this off for “absolute” precision.
just saying that if you're after "a faithful representation" of a plate, that's not really how a real behaves (being nullable), so it's not "as faithful" or it's not algorithmic.
And plenty of reverbs have (controllable) modulation of the tail. Convolutions generally don't.

Not that it inherently means that it's a bad approach or that it's a bad reverb by what i said alone.

but then again, arturia was never known for faithful models in the first place.

again... not arguing that this is in any way the holy grail of anything.

How long is it taking on average for folks to get their registration info? I’ve gotten no reply with a serial or anything since yesterday when I went to the site and “got” the plugin. It’s listed as a demo in the Arturia software control thing.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:39 pm How long is it taking on average for folks to get their registration info? I’ve gotten no reply with a serial or anything since yesterday when I went to the site and “got” the plugin. It’s listed as a demo in the Arturia software control thing.
it's the same here

It probably isn't a convolution reverb. DSP usage is negligible and it only reports 50 sample of latency. Soundtoys Little Plate for example reports 32 samples of latency. Some algorithmic reverbs do use samples for example Verberate used them for ER. It's not unusual or uncommon.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:36 am It probably isn't a convolution reverb. DSP usage is negligible and it only reports 50 sample of latency. Soundtoys Little Plate for example reports 32 samples of latency. Some algorithmic reverbs do use samples for example Verberate used them for ER. It's not unusual or uncommon.
Lol I actually sampled my algorithmic verbs for live use cause space designer used less resources than the algo

Ploki wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 am
v1o wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:36 am It probably isn't a convolution reverb. DSP usage is negligible and it only reports 50 sample of latency. Soundtoys Little Plate for example reports 32 samples of latency. Some algorithmic reverbs do use samples for example Verberate used them for ER. It's not unusual or uncommon.
Lol I actually sampled my algorithmic verbs for live use cause space designer used less resources than the algo
LOL Space Designer latency is 128 samples at a minimum. Not good enough for live playing.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

On my main E-Mail i never got a reply but on my backup account i got it within a half hour.
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:39 pm How long is it taking on average for folks to get their registration info? I’ve gotten no reply with a serial or anything since yesterday when I went to the site and “got” the plugin. It’s listed as a demo in the Arturia software control thing.

My guess: the plate reverb part is convolution based. They sampled a plate reverb in a number of settings (hence the strange, slowly reacting slider, which essentially changes the underlying impulse response samples). Not even sure whether they sampled the original EMT or rather some self-built thingy like the Ikea reverb (btw: there are also some great free impulse responses of that thing). For some reason the Arturia sounds quite different from the Soundtoys one.

Another indicator for underlying convolution base: the sheer size. Good algo reverb are often below 20mb in file size (even the Valhalla ones I recall).

Arturia probably sampled a real plate in all those various time settings in high resolution and bit depth, hence the relative large size. With that being said: I actually like the sound and interface very much and appreciate the free offer, even though I could do without the whole "software control center" scheme. I had to re-setup my audio workstation and had to install dozens of "software centers" to make use of my collection of commercial plugins - quite time consuming, especially when you have "software centers" like Nat*ve Ac*ess, that will only make use a fraction of the available download bandwith, so that downloading one 400mb plugin literally takes hours.

v1o wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:27 am
Ploki wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 am
LOL Space Designer latency is 128 samples at a minimum. Not good enough for live playing.
Why? Its 100% wet on a send, latency compensation disabled. Its like having a little predelay :)
And its cost way less CPU than its source verbs.

twilli003 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:40 pm
Phil B wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 pm
oboemaroni wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:08 pm Yes, obviously I'd have to have an account to be logged in to Arturia Software Centre. I've followed the instructions to the letter, and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times over several days, there's still no option to activate. Hopefully Arturia support can sort it out.
Same here. Gave up
Same problem here.
The problem appears to have been resolved now. I was able to activate.

Return to “Effects”