Available now! Tone2 Electra3 Synthesizer Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tone2 Electra3

Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am Fake accounts and sock pupptes are indeed a problem on kvr. This does not only affect threads from our own company.
We assume that many of these troll-accounts are owned by jelous competing developers. They join a thread and try to denigrate the competitior's product while they advertise stuff of a certain other company. There is a clear pattern that you can see.
Further troll accounts seem to be software pirates that try to get a revenge because their stolen licenses do not longer work. I've seen them post fake 'bug reports' or they do other attempts to derail a thread.
If you notice such a "ghost account" report it to the morderation.
My account is not a fake account. In fact, it seems that I registered on KVR 3 days before you.
I am neither a fellow developer, nor do I use pirated software, be it in music or otherwise.

I just like to demo stuff I don't know, yet. And sometimes I stumble upon things I consider bugs or issues. And when I mention it here, others can check and confirm.

And I continue to think there is something wrong with Elektra's legato mode (the monophonic mode works as expected)...
I just tried it for the 4th time since yesterday in order to be sure. Same result.
I compared it with three other synths, which all behave identically under the same circumstances, and as expected.
I think the problem might be in the last note priority implementation.
Play a low note and keep it pressed. Play a second note with the other hand and keep it pressed, and then a third note, then release the third note, and it will glide back down to the first note instead of the second note.

Also, play one note and keep it pressed, then a trill on two other notes. For some reason the other two get hacked off.

I also suggest you enable the scroll wheel for effects parameters. It seems to work everywhere else.

Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:52 am
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:25 am Does anyone know if new versions support polyphonic aftertouch, or could you check for me? Markus added it to Icarus, but before I start upgrading, I'd like to know if the new versions support it.
'normal' aftertouch is already supported. Polyphonic aftertouch can rather easy be supported.
I have put your feature request on my feature list for a future update.

Sadly polyphonic aftertouch is only supported by few midi devices and not supported by all DAWs.
As far as I know, Live was the only hold out for polyphonic aftertouch support, and that’s been remedied. The whole Kontrol 3 line transmits it, as does the Quantum 2, Iridium keyboard, the whole Hydrasynth line, Push 1 and 2, UDO Super Gemini, all the Roli, Linn, Osmose, etc. So, while the market isn’t saturated with it, the options are available at many different price points. I can’t help but think that it will become important again. Not to the click-in-a-piano-roll crowd, but to the keyboard players among us.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

@Odd Fella: Tatsyn and me did not talk in our conversation about you. It is a general observation that we made on kvr during the last decades.

Mousewheel support for the effects is possible from the technical side. We can implement it if there are also other users that request it
We do not have a support forum on kvr. Please refer to our offical location: https://www.tone2.com/faq.html

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:48 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:25 am Does anyone know if new versions support polyphonic aftertouch, or could you check for me? Markus added it to Icarus, but before I start upgrading, I'd like to know if the new versions support it.
'normal' aftertouch is already supported. Polyphonic aftertouch can rather easy be supported.

Sadly polyphonic aftertouch is only supported by few midi devices and not supported by all DAWs.
As far as I know, Live was the only hold out for polyphonic aftertouch support, and that’s been remedied. The whole Kontrol 3 line transmits it, as does the Quantum 2, Iridium keyboard, the whole Hydrasynth line, Push 1 and 2, UDO Super Gemini, all the Roli, Linn, Osmose, etc. So, while the market isn’t saturated with it, the options are available at many different price points. I can’t help but think that it will become important again. Not to the click-in-a-piano-roll crowd, but to the keyboard players among us.
I also hope that it will the attention that it deserves from the hardware site soon. Unlike MPE (which is a pretty ugly hack of the midi protocol) polyphonic aftertouch is well-defined as a specification. It properly works.
One issue that i see os the price point. It seems that it is more expensive to build poly- aftertouch keyboards.
We do not have a support forum on kvr. Please refer to our offical location: https://www.tone2.com/faq.html

Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:11 pm

I also hope that it will the attention that it deserves from the hardware site soon. Unlike MPE (which is a pretty ugly hack of the midi protocol) polyphonic aftertouch is well-defined as a specification. It properly works.
True, it is a pretty ugly hack, but I’ve always found that it works pretty well. Even before Live supported it, there was a way to make it work. Another ugly hack on top of an ugly hack, but effective. Luckily, it’s now natively supported. Who knows, maybe MIDI 2 will render MPE moot if it’s widely adopted. Here’s hoping!
One issue that i see is the price point. It seems that it is more expensive to build poly- aftertouch keyboards.
My hope is that now that NI is in the game with a good quality Fatar keyboard, it will get into the hands of a lot of people who don’t normally even know it exists. It’s not that much more expensive than other good quality controllers.

Not everyone will become a fan, but many will, which will add to the older fans like me. Now we just need Lady Ga Ga or someone similarly popular to feature it in concert or a video and all the kids will be clamoring for it.

That’s my dream, at least. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Odd Fella wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:26 pm
Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am Fake accounts and sock pupptes are indeed a problem on kvr. This does not only affect threads from our own company.
We assume that many of these troll-accounts are owned by jelous competing developers. They join a thread and try to denigrate the competitior's product while they advertise stuff of a certain other company. There is a clear pattern that you can see.
Further troll accounts seem to be software pirates that try to get a revenge because their stolen licenses do not longer work. I've seen them post fake 'bug reports' or they do other attempts to derail a thread.
If you notice such a "ghost account" report it to the morderation.
My account is not a fake account. In fact, it seems that I registered on KVR 3 days before you.
I am neither a fellow developer, nor do I use pirated software, be it in music or otherwise.

I just like to demo stuff I don't know, yet. And sometimes I stumble upon things I consider bugs or issues. And when I mention it here, others can check and confirm.

And I continue to think there is something wrong with Elektra's legato mode (the monophonic mode works as expected)...
I just tried it for the 4th time since yesterday in order to be sure. Same result.
I compared it with three other synths, which all behave identically under the same circumstances, and as expected.
I think the problem might be in the last note priority implementation.
Play a low note and keep it pressed. Play a second note with the other hand and keep it pressed, and then a third note, then release the third note, and it will glide back down to the first note instead of the second note.

Also, play one note and keep it pressed, then a trill on two other notes. For some reason the other two get hacked off.

I also suggest you enable the scroll wheel for effects parameters. It seems to work everywhere else.

Isn't what you're looking for the monophonic mode? and set the glide time to whatever you see fit?

Legato classic is a diferent implementation of legato that always goes to the lowest note possible on release and diferent voicings too, if you release the 1st (lowest note) it will now trigger the 2nd lowest note you pressed instead of the 1st...
Playing with it sounded a lot like bagpipes...

I think what you're looking for is monophonic with glide, although Icarus has a more standard legato mode in addition to legato "tone2 classic" mode.

I think it was a thought concept of legato, that's why it's diferent but maybe markus will add Legato new to electra too.. (i too prefer legato "new") in [most] cases, otherwise i just need to work on my keyboard playing skills too much, although doable...

tasty tatsyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:02 pm Legato classic is a diferent implementation of legato that always goes to the lowest note possible on release and diferent voicings too, if you release the 1st (lowest note) it will now trigger the 2nd lowest note you pressed instead of the 1st...

I think what you want is monophonic with glide, although Icarus has a more standard legato mode in addition to legato "tone2 classic" mode.

I think it was a thought concept of legato, that's why it's diferent but maybe markus will add Legato new to electra too..
In Diva, lowest note priority seems to mean that one can only play downwards from the first note played. As soon as you release the lowest note played, you can't play it again, but only even lower notes.
Highest accordingly means that one can only play upwards.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:24 pm
True, it is a pretty ugly hack, but I’ve always found that it works pretty well. Even before Live supported it, there was a way to make it work. Another ugly hack on top of an ugly hack, but effective. Luckily, it’s now natively supported. Who knows, maybe MIDI 2 will render MPE moot if it’s widely adopted. Here’s hoping!
One issue that i see is the price point. It seems that it is more expensive to build poly- aftertouch keyboards.
My hope is that now that NI is in the game with a good quality Fatar keyboard, it will get into the hands of a lot of people who don’t normally even know it exists. It’s not that much more expensive than other good quality controllers.

Not everyone will become a fan, but many will, which will add to the older fans like me. Now we just need Lady Ga Ga or someone similarly popular to feature it in concert or a video and all the kids will be clamoring for it.

Just desparately tried to buy a slim masterkeyboard with only essential controls: polyphonic aftertouch, a modwheel and a pitchwheel. I want to have my keys in front of my computer screen behind my computer keyboard and do not have much space. Result: No such product exists :o
I also checked out my collection of hardware synthesizers. The Alesis Andromeda is the only one that supports it. Looks like I need to revive it.

Why are keyboards with poly AT so rare and often expensive? Can't they use the velocity sensor of each key for AT? I mean, once the key is hit, the velocity function of the sensor is over and done with.

But I guess my playing is too bad, I could not control individual notes/fingers independently of the others, anyway. I don't even have mono AT :(

Odd Fella wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:30 pm
tasty tatsyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:02 pm Legato classic is a diferent implementation of legato that always goes to the lowest note possible on release and diferent voicings too, if you release the 1st (lowest note) it will now trigger the 2nd lowest note you pressed instead of the 1st...

I think what you want is monophonic with glide, although Icarus has a more standard legato mode in addition to legato "tone2 classic" mode.

I think it was a thought concept of legato, that's why it's diferent but maybe markus will add Legato new to electra too..
In Diva, lowest note priority seems to mean that one can only play downwards from the first note played. As soon as you release the lowest note played, you can't play it again, but only even lower notes.
Highest accordingly means that one can only play upwards.
Well like i said, it's a thought concept of legato, the issue with it is that there's not that many Jordan Rudess's, Marco Parisi's, Emily Bear's or SamTheBeardGuy's out there (myself excluded) ;), although there's a lot of talented keyboard players too and i'm sure they can use it..

The Behringer UB-Xa is supposedly polyphonic aftertouch coming in at around 1K dollars. I think that maybe the current cheapest. But it's in such demand, it's on preorder for months. Also, no one really knows how good it is right now.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

tasty tatsyn wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:53 pm Well like i said, it's a thought concept of legato, the issue with it is that there's not that many Jordan Rudess's, Marco Parisi's, Emily Bear's or SamTheBeardGuy's out there (myself excluded) ;), although there's a lot of talented keyboard players too and i'm sure they can use it..
That legato mode reminds me of a house of cards: you can add card after card after card, but as soon as you remove any card (i.e. release any of the played keys), the whole house collapses to ground zero (the first note). Not even keeping the last added key pressed will make it continue to sound. I guess that is what is weird to me.
I can't think of a musical application for that. But maybe there is, who knows...

Hehe, my playing is not the best, either :oops:

egbert101 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:56 pm The Behringer UB-Xa is supposedly polyphonic aftertouch coming in at around 1K dollars. I think that maybe the current cheapest. But it's in such demand, it's on preorder for months. Also, no one really knows how good it is right now.
1k :o

https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/keystage/
No idea how much it costs, though.

Found it, 550 to 600 Euros for the 49-key version.

Tone2 Synthesizers wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:31 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:24 pm

Just desparately tried to buy a slim masterkeyboard with only essential controls: polyphonic aftertouch, a modwheel and a pitchwheel. I want to have my keys in front of my computer screen behind my computer keyboard and do not have much space. Result: No such product exists :o
I also checked out my collection of hardware synthesizers. The Alesis Andromeda is the only one that supports it. Looks like I need to revive it.
What do you mean by "slim?" Not much space after the keys, or not much overall height from the desk?
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Instruments”