reFX Nexus 4:5 - the ROMpler opens up

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

msvs wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:37 pm whats wrong with refx' copy protection?
I don't like to spend hundreds or thousands of € then "ask for a permission" to use it.
I like to own and have the full control over my purchases.

I also dislike the situation where a legit customer have less rights, while illegal users can use it in an offline pc and have no needs to rely on servers and download managers.

I prefer to buy, download and store everything on my pc/hd. If i bought it it's mine, i would never buy a car or an home with the boundary to ask permission to the manufacturer to use them

msvs wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:20 am and the last one for this year... my favourite

https://youtu.be/EuAk-8rFN90

This expansion has been made by Manuel Schleis and Andy Hinz, using authentic 70s vintage hardware from Manuels' collection

Step back in time to the groovy era of the 70s with our Sound of the 70s expansion for reFX Nexus!
Immerse yourself in the unforgettable sounds that defined this iconic decade, from lush strings and soulful guitars to funky leads, authentic live drums, timeless pianos, vintage organs, and classic synthesizers.
This collection captures the essence of the era, offering meticulously crafted presets for producers of disco, funk, soul - and, of course - modern funky house music.
Elevate your music with the retro vibes of the 70s and start grooving today!

get it now at refx.com
Please port this to Avenger 2. :pray:

@FrankieT: well refx has "the cloud" and this wont change anytime soon since it works really well and customers do like it very much. Seems that Nexus simply isnt for you then!

msvs wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:46 pm @FrankieT: well refx has "the cloud" and this wont change anytime soon since it works really well and customers do like it very much. Seems that Nexus simply isnt for you then!
I disagree.
I mean the plugin itself, Nexus it's something for me. Cause sometimes i like to craft all my sounds during relaxed production session, or sound design dedicated session.
But happens to work with music with deadline, and so be fast it's really important.

Nexus comes in help here, and i also think it comes with good sounds, that's why i disagree, and that's the point.

Nexus is a plugin made for me, it just comes with a system that isn't made for me.

I know that's probably what you meant, but i think it's important you understand that there are other customers that are interested in your stuff, and would be nice for us, and rewarding for you, to give a different option.

I'm not saying that you should change, cause i also understand there are other customers that are happy with the current way.
But i think one way doesn't exclude another.

Offer a centralized system, such Refx cloud, AND a U-he like solution, will make everyone happy, customers like me, and you getting more money.

Every company main focus in the world is to make money, i mean even the more richest (such Apple, Google...) in this case you can achieve it doing something good enlarging the market.

Ofc it's your choice, not mine, but there are people who cares about these things, and also like to give money to companies with a certain "ethics".

Once upon a time just fast/trash food only with one focus only. The cheaper the better. Organic food was almost nonexistent, but with time people had a better understanding about that, and now it's the biggest growing market in the food industry, and even the "worst" food company joined the vagon.

Climate change.. same here, some "mad" scientists tried to warn us since '70s but they were just few, and even the most of their coleague thought they were crazy, but guess what now...

There are other situations where bigger companies failed cause they weren't good to understand changes, i.e. Atari, in a world where video games industry it's one of the few who have a continue growth since ever.

If is not Nexus from Refx today, will be another plugin made by another company tomorrow, that may just comes with this selling point, plus cheaper expansion, and will be really hard for you to get their clients or just to avoid yours the switch.

It's told that the only two things we can be sure of are taxes and death, i'd also add changes. Everything since the beginning of the universe it's a continue change, in every area, infact we are almost at 2024 and your latest patch it's about sounds from '70s and the only things to do to stay alive and healthy is to understand these changes

Wow Frankie.T - that's a lot of words to not say a single one about what is specifically wrong with Nexus' copy protection.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Indeed. Frankie mate, tl;dr for another rant about copy protection

In another post it was mentioned that Nexus can’t work offline. This is incorrect, no? Activate online then you can work offline

https://refx.com/support/

As for the initial online activation, I have to do that for multiple activities outside the world of plugins and don’t have the mental space to care. YMMV
Last edited by revvy on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I don't really give a monkeys about the copy protection, but at almost £60 for a pre-set pack I am amazed anyone can afford to buy pre-sets for it.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:01 am Wow Frankie.T - that's a lot of words to not say a single one about what is specifically wrong with Nexus' copy protection.
I wrote it in the previous posts
revvy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:52 am Indeed. Frankie mate, tl;dr for another rant about copy protection

In another post it was mentioned that Nexus can’t work offline. This is incorrect, no? Activate online then you can work offline

https://refx.com/support/

As for the initial online activation, I have to do that for multiple activities outside the world of plugins and don’t have the mental space to care. YMMV
No man, it's a discussion where i explain the reasons. A rant it's just a blablabla without any motivation and usually comes in an "alterated" form. I wrote my reasons in a polite and very tranquil way.

Nexus can work offline but needs to be online at least once for activation. I won't buy cars, shoes, speakers or whatever with the boundary to ask the permission to use it to the manufacturer, if you want my money (and nexus isn't neither cheap) i want the control over my purchace, and have at least the same right of my legally aquired software than illegal people have.

Cause the funny thing is. Buy it and you cannot decide to use it offline without their permission. Crack it and you can do whatever you want... and for free

This sounds like a joke.

I value people work, and as i don't steal apples i don't steal software and i'm happy to pay for product i think are worthful, like Nexus is imo, but as customer i also value my rights and the money i earn with hard work.
SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:02 pm I don't really give a monkeys about the copy protection, but at almost £60 for a pre-set pack I am amazed anyone can afford to buy pre-sets for it.
And that's another point. There are lots of people who doesn't care about anything but money. Some of them will just pass, others will use pirated software.

Regardles the protection system everything get broken, you can find everything from iLok to custom solutions.
So why bother and mess with potential clients?

Sure maybe some copy protection takes more time to get broke, but this doesn't convince people to spend so much money just to have it 6 month earlier.

I agree €60 for an expansion is high, and when you stack you can easilly spend big money, but you (we) don't know how much works there is under the hood, so they price it, and if the product is good, it sells.

I'd pay €60 for this expansion cause it sounds good, as many other from them, so even if i think the price should be lower, the price is not what stops me to buy their product, but will always be for people who don't care about copy protection but money

Frankie.T wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:31 pm I wrote it in the previous posts
I can't see anything except vague things about "asking permission" to use something. I have no idea what that means with regard to reFX Cloud authorisation.

How do you think reFX Cloud works?
W11, Ryzen 7900, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2024 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Frankie.T wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:11 pmI don't like to spend hundreds or thousands of € then "ask for a permission" to use it.
What does this even mean???
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:55 pm
Frankie.T wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:11 pmI don't like to spend hundreds or thousands of € then "ask for a permission" to use it.
It means the plugin needs to connect to their servers to be functional. So everytime you install it, it doesn't works without their server authorization.

I don't know if they change it, but it at least till Nexus 3, the plugin/refx cloud needs an online verification at least once every 90 days.

Is it more clear now?

Frankie.T wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:45 pm
I don't know if they change it

Educate yourself, rather than searching for (and praising the functionality of) cracks.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:48 pm
I don't know if they change it

Educate yourself, rather than searching for (and praising the functionality of) cracks.
Educate for what?

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:55 pm
It means the plugin needs to connect to their servers to be functional. So everytime you install it, it doesn't works without their server authorization.

I don't know if they change it, but it at least till Nexus 3, the plugin/refx cloud needs an online verification at least once every 90 days.

Is it more clear now?
See now, when you're complaining about something and don't actually say what you're complaining about despite a page about climate change and gawd knows what else, there's no getting snarky with people who have the audacity to actually ask what your problem is.

I've looked, and I can't see any reference now to the 90 day thing, so it may well have gone. Since you apparently haven't checked either and as it is apparently a dealbreaker for you, why don't you ask support? (after Christmas).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

It doesn't work offline (like a system that never goes online). The plugins periodically re-checks the license, which is asking for permission online. Yes, I've asked support with one of the recent updates, Adam told me, and their EULA says that as well:
3. Usage Conditions
3.4. Where online activation of the Licenced Materials is required:
3.4.1 You need to have the Licenced Materials connect to Our server at least once every thirty (30) days;
3.4.2 You are authorized to activate the Licenced Materials on three (3) computers at any time.

Return to “Instruments”