Airwindows Consolidated: Free Mac/Windows/Linux CLAP/VST3/AU/LV2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Airwindows Consolidated

audiojunkie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:01 pm Completely Agreed! I don't even want to have the "Oh, we have a new update available!" message show up. :D
NOR I, my friend.

On some days, me and KVR are 100% on the same wavelength. Proud to be yelling at these clouds alongside you folks :D

If you ever change your web presence, how could your old plugin version change with it?

jinxtigr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:20 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:01 pm Completely Agreed! I don't even want to have the "Oh, we have a new update available!" message show up. :D
NOR I, my friend.

On some days, me and KVR are 100% on the same wavelength. Proud to be yelling at these clouds alongside you folks :D
Hehehe!! As a Linux user, I tend to like things such as open standards, privacy, flexibility, efficiency, and freedom. Apps that call home don't quite fit with my ideology. :D Airwindows and Surge Team products are standards in my realm. We are indeed on the same wavelength. 8)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

jinxtigr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:18 pm "Oh hi let's max out all the cores launching Chrome's insane bloat, I'm sure that couldn't possibly be a terrible idea at this particular moment" ?
This is not a problem for me. I use safari.

Anyway yeah we are just gonna leave it as is. The about menu has a link to the latest and the website. The settings manual has a link to the manual. The ui shows your version and build date as does the about menu. It does leave you to click the web page and compare the dates but that’s fine.

Chris thanks for making your views clear. And I agree phone home is bad as well as hard to engineer

Maybe some day someone will build a robust free synth download manager and I’m sure I would participate in that project! Until then it is what it is!

camsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:42 pm If you ever change your web presence, how could your old plugin version change with it?
This is a great question and for things like the surge manual we have to live with a stable url or a redirect.

Airwindows only has three urls. One is airwindows.com and the others are the GitHub so we are probably fine - especially since GitHub is good with redirects under things like repo moves

Anyway a few more bug fixes and features went in today so please do continue to update.

One change you may notice on macOS. I had used the wrong directory (Prefences vs Application Support) for a user file and so have updated this. This means when you update on Mac will need to reset your preferences. Since we currently have only four I figured now was the time to do it. Sorry bout that! But there is also now a new preference. If you want the default startup effect to not be galactic you can pick your own. Plus some other fixes.

baconpaul wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:21 am
camsr wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:42 pm If you ever change your web presence, how could your old plugin version change with it?
This is a great question and for things like the surge manual we have to live with a stable url or a redirect.

Airwindows only has three urls. One is airwindows.com and the others are the GitHub so we are probably fine - especially since GitHub is good with redirects under things like repo moves
Also why I wouldn't have the link, though it's in a submenu so I'm more pleased with that (better not to have a web link alongside all the real controls)

As for airwindows.com, I have been at that URL since 1998, and can't imagine anyone trying to buy it from me or anything: what on earth for? I don't make impressive money or anything. And my users are clever and would spot any other kind of funny business. I'm not sure web links come much more stable than that. I outlived Kagi Shareware.

And when I die (not if: so will you, turns out, at some point) you'll have bigger problems than URL redirects, even if it's only 'now where will we get a new plugin every week' :D

But people will have a really good head-start on 'where to take it from here', so it's all good :)

One suggestion. When filter set to "Latest" it could be fine that the very very new plugins within AWC would be highlightened until the next update or so?!

Syngularity wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 am One suggestion. When filter set to "Latest" it could be fine that the very very new plugins within AWC would be highlightened until the next update or so?!
I'd rather not, but bear in mind that I'm not personally in charge of Consolidated. It's open source, other people are involved, and it's about popularizing, not just further Chris-izing. I have everything else I do for that :D

I see that as 'this has nothing to do with what you might want to do with sound and is purely self-promotion regardless of whether the new thing is GOOD even'. Which, yeah, that's the norm, but it is just possible (especially after the initial huge burst of coding is done) that Consolidated doesn't have to do anything like that.

We do already have Chris Order in the menus, I lobbied hard to have that (and hope it never quietly disappears or something maddening like that). If you're looking to highlight whatever I'm working on, set it to All and use Chris Order in the menus and then simply check the top of the menus. If you see something new there (or even if you just hadn't tried it!), that's what you were asking for: highlighting something I think is very effective at whatever the category does, and probably recent too.

New stuff absolutely does not always go to the top of those lists. Sometimes you're just offering something different. But if something comes out that's amazing compared to what came before, it'll definitely go to the top of those lists, which are already there for you to see <3

The other problem with that suggestion is we don’t currently know “plug-in age” in any meaningful way in the code and engineering that is rather annoying

Chris is kindly maintaining the latest category though and will tweak it as he updates fx and the pedia so that will update with every build

No prob, I just watch out for Chris' updates ;-)

Thank you Chris, there are some gems in airwindows.
Thank you Paul, would have never found those gems without your efforts.

A popup that lists only the items in the current category would be nice...

Loving this! I have a question / feature request: is there no way to add plugins to "favorites" or make custom folders? I prefer the "Recommended" view, but one of the plugins I use the most isn't in there, so it's a bit cumbersome to have to go through everything to get to it. Having a "Favorites" tab or way to add plugins to custom folders would be amazing.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I didn't see it in the manual or with a quick search here.

concealed identity wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am Loving this! I have a question / feature request: is there no way to add plugins to "favorites" or make custom folders? I prefer the "Recommended" view, but one of the plugins I use the most isn't in there, so it's a bit cumbersome to have to go through everything to get to it. Having a "Favorites" tab or way to add plugins to custom folders would be amazing.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I didn't see it in the manual or with a quick search here.
This has been discussed in this thread already. They have it as a feature request now.

Return to “Effects”