VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Discovery Discovery Pro

Gam456 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:11 pm
nirm123 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:55 pm
Gam456 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:16 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:48 pm I was able to get better results using MSoundFactory than I was getting with my Peak (which does have several ways to get per-voice distortion), so out it went. I was never really thrilled with its sterile sound anyway. I ended up with a Nina instead.
MSoundFactory is my big mistake with Phase Plant, bought, install it, sound dull, and never use it
After reading you posts in this thread it becomes very clear that your only mistake is confirmation bias.
One thing is clear, you are not... clear
You're right, the following quote is a lesson in how to be clear:
Gam456 wrote: It's always harsh, not warmth, not making the sound fat and bigger.
Like I already said... meeeh
Always sad to see someone throwing money away just because he's been imagining things.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:48 am If Novation is using the term overdrive correctly, meaning it’s driving the filter into distortion, that’s kind of cool. But it’s all digital at that stage so not as appealing to me as the analog distortion. Anyway, the block diagram tells everything we need to know.
Have a look

The filter features an overdrive input and distortion output control, all in the analog domain, adding grit and character. There are even Divergence and Drift parameters that mimic the calibration or stability flaws of the analog synths of yesteryear. Still in analog, we attack the final VCA. This is the moment to make a few minor voice settings: unison mode (1, 2, 3, 4 or 8 voices per note with programmable detuning), stereo separation (each voice is alternately placed in the stereo field, with progressive width), Mono/Poly modes with different types of voice rotation. Then it's time to take to the air, with a final stereo analog distortion and programmable final volume.

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthetiseu ... ummit.html

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:27 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:11 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 pm
ex-sprinter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:41 pm First in my personal list of distortion synths is the Rob Papen's "Raw". Well, it's all about distorted sounds for hardcore/hardstyle tunes.
RAW would be perfect if he'd include some oversampling options. It's great for lo-fi digital dirt, but I'm after something that's more evocative of transistor analog distortion.
Looool! Indeed, you are right to say that Raw is far from transistor analog distortion haha. Or more like takes the transistors and rub it to your face while punching you in the stomach kind 9f distortion.

Raw and raw kicks are indeed very funny and gives an instant hardstyle vibe.... Not very usable for any other thing though.
I’m not saying they’re not good for stuff, I just would like to be able to pick how much oversampling I need to get the results I want. That’s why MPowerSynth is so good. You can really get under the hood and mess with things. Run it at crazy high oversampling, if you want. The down side of that means, you have to dig in and make your own character in a lot of ways.

The truth is, a lot of plugins do have per voice distortion, it’s just that it’s not that great. It must take a lot of oversampling to push that aliasing out of the realm of hearing. I find MPowerSynth starts to sound really good at about 8X.
I was not objecting on what you said, on the contrary, I full agree. It is just that remembering Raw makes me smile, it is such a funny synth.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm
CinningBao wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:14 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:33 am
I'm going to try and get polyphony going in Reaktor Blocks and report back.
Damn I thought I'd done a video about this and our poly blocks, a few different ways.. one way to apply the same distortion (a poly block) to all 5 voices separately, or you could split up the signal into 5 mono and put a different distortion on each voice :)

Did things which surprised me when I was exploring..
Might be time to do it (a "here's all the ways you can do polyphonic stuff in ToyBoxAudio blocks") finally.
Are you one of the Toybox developers? Those things are amazing.
Dave builds 'em and I break 'em! Thanks, we're pretty proud of them. Such a shame Reaktor's going the way of the dodo. We really hope they get it to the next (backwards compatible) level. A few of the block features are my ideas (pitched jitter, supersaw scale-snap.. and some more), some of which had never been seen before in synths/oscillators :) and I'm super-proud of those.

Now to think about a polyphonic blocks video.

CinningBao wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:54 pmSuch a shame Reaktor's going the way of the dodo.
Why do you think that?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I know nothing beyond what the public see, but my suspicions are that it would take more than the resources they currently have to get to R7 or something like that anytime soon.

I could _easily_ be very wrong though.

Well there was this thread: https://community.native-instruments.co ... ment_48110

"For a variety of reasons, NI is not in a position to invest major resources in this product, which has not been news for some time."

For anyone skimming, it’s worth going to the link and reading the whole post. It’s actually pretty positive. Plus, that was exactly a year ago, maybe things have changed. I have a meeting with them at NAMM and will ask about it.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:14 pm For anyone skimming, it’s worth going to the link and reading the whole post. It’s actually pretty positive. Plus, that was exactly a year ago, maybe things have changed. I have a meeting with them at NAMM and will ask about it.
Come back with the goods!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

For those still tuned in, I'm going though my instruments and the new U-He Filterscape VA is maybe one of the best. Sadly, I have no idea how to properly use it! :lol: To the youtoobz!
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:49 am For those still tuned in, I'm going though my instruments and the new U-He Filterscape VA is maybe one of the best. Sadly, I have no idea how to properly use it! :lol: To the youtoobz!
What do you like it in it? I watched the trailer and wasn't so impressed.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:49 am For those still tuned in, I'm going though my instruments and the new U-He Filterscape VA is maybe one of the best. Sadly, I have no idea how to properly use it! :lol: To the youtoobz!
You didn’t see the value of the morphable EQ? Not just as an effect, but as a per-voice filter. It’s almost like being able to make a sawtooth into a wavetable. You set up snapshots and use modulation to move between them.
Zerocrossing Media

Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am What do you like it in it? I watched the trailer and wasn't so impressed.
Install the demo. I used the demo for months before buying. The little noise crackle is one of the least offensive demo restrictions around. It almost blends in with the music.

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:57 am
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am
You didn’t see the value of the morphable EQ? Not just as an effect, but as a per-voice filter. It’s almost like being able to make a sawtooth into a wavetable. You set up snapshots and use modulation to move between them.
Polyphonic morph-eq.... Holy s.... I missed that :-(. I love polyphonic filtering and I don't know of any synth doing polyphonic EQ... Not phase plant, not avenger, not surge xt, not Bitwig polymer, not even twin3 or falcon...
I was hoping Current would do it when it was first out... (but finally, this missing feature was part of the disappointment I had with Current).

So clearly, now I see why you say Filterscape is maybe one of your best... Such a cool feature...

EDIT: Ok actually Falcon does it... How could I doubt it with such a power-house... But then I don't enjoy sound design with Falcon...
Last edited by Jac459 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:26 am
Jac459 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:33 am What do you like it in it? I watched the trailer and wasn't so impressed.
Install the demo. I used the demo for months before buying. The little noise crackle is one of the least offensive demo restrictions around. It almost blends in with the music.
No I didn't buy it when it was at 70 USD, not gonna buy it at 129USD... I need to hold up to my mistake :-(.

Return to “Instruments”