Airwindows Consolidated: Free Mac/Windows/Linux CLAP/VST3/AU/LV2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Airwindows Consolidated

plexuss wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:57 am
concealed identity wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:51 am Loving this! I have a question / feature request: is there no way to add plugins to "favorites" or make custom folders? I prefer the "Recommended" view, but one of the plugins I use the most isn't in there, so it's a bit cumbersome to have to go through everything to get to it. Having a "Favorites" tab or way to add plugins to custom folders would be amazing.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, I didn't see it in the manual or with a quick search here.
This has been discussed in this thread already. They have it as a feature request now.
Awesome, great to hear!

ForrestH wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm A popup that lists only the items in the current category would be nice...
Oh that’s a good idea. In surge we use right mouse on the patch selector to show only the current category and I’ll add that as an issue for this plugin too

After a busy week we are letting the plugin marinate and stabilize a bit but definitely plan to sweep functional issues in June - and of course Chris will update with new effects regularly

So this is my feature request, input/output gain adjustments per instance of consolidated, and some basic peak meters for input and output also. Option to hide when not needed. I found when using a variety of the plugins, the parameters themselves cause gain changes which should be adjusted. And when exploring and switching plugins old gain settings may not be relevant, so each instance should have both in/out gains to maintain the gain setting of what isn't being changed.

The screen space used by the plugin descriptions could serve for additional settings when the descriptions aren't needed. This could avoid resizing the plugin window also, which may help in some hosts.

The "power button" icon in the bottom right I assume is a bypass, but it didn't function when I tested it using the VST3 adapter for foobar2000.

The list of feature requests is on the GitHub and an output attenuator is one of them

Is foobar2000 actual software or is it code for some daw? I tested the bypass in reaper vst3 logic au and bitwig vst3 and clap and it worked just fine

baconpaul wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:52 am The list of feature requests is on the GitHub and an output attenuator is one of them

Is foobar2000 actual software or is it code for some daw? I tested the bypass in reaper vst3 logic au and bitwig vst3 and clap and it worked just fine
I advise input gain also, because a lot of these effects are non-linear and are sensitive to input level.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123342.0.html

I seem to remember Chris mentioning in some videos that certain plugins needed to be ran at particular sample rates to function correctly. Would it be possible to have a little icon or some indicator in the listings for such plugins? So if it only works at 44.1 or 96 it would show this?
Image Image Image Image

gotcha. i'm setting the vst3 bypass parameter and also if it is set bypassing the audio. the vst3 parameter api is pretty gnarly but sounds to me like foobar2000 vst3 adapter isn't reading the parameter kBypass flag properly perhaps? I don't have the daw but i think it's probably a bug to report to them.

I'll add input gain to the output gain issue also thanks. I have both in the rack plugin. My original naive thinking with many of the first two week feature request was "in a daw environment you can just do this in your daw" but seems like that's not a great workflow for all users / all daws.

sprnva wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:29 am I seem to remember Chris mentioning in some videos that certain plugins needed to be ran at particular sample rates to function correctly. Would it be possible to have a little icon or some indicator in the listings for such plugins? So if it only works at 44.1 or 96 it would show this?
Yes, it would. I can put that metadata in all the Airwindopedia entries, because it's certainly relevant: some things like the original ClipOnly fail to work properly if you oversample them, and plenty of others aren't really designed to go at 1024X and then be immediately downsampled again. I like running natively at 96k and being done with it, but some of the plugins are simple waveshapers and there's nothing stopping you from doing 4096X oversampling if it pleases you. Others… not so much. Though as a rule I allocate delay buffers at a fixed length, meaning I don't think anything will instantly crash your machine if you try that.

I do have other work, and there's also the possibility of using the metadata in What.txt that set up the ability to have those custom menus (Recommended, etc) to further show some kind of indicator. If I do it in plain text in Airwindopedia there's room for explanation of what's happening, plus Paul doesn't have to do that part (it will automatically get included in new versions)

Thoughts? It's a lot of work but that doesn't scare me. Means you can't have it literally today :) I could do it on a livestream, like Thursday maybe, if people really want this added for next weekend's update. Or sooner.

A quick way to know which sample rates are appropriate for each plugin would be most appreciated. I guess there might be a few different categories e.g. works the same at all sample rates, works differently but can still be used if you know how it works (e.g. Airwindows Average), and totally breaks.

baconpaul wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:37 am I'll add input gain to the output gain issue also thanks. I have both in the rack plugin. My original naive thinking with many of the first two week feature request was "in a daw environment you can just do this in your daw" but seems like that's not a great workflow for all users / all daws.
That would be awesome. :phones: The main perk of having an output control in the plugin is so you can toggle bypass to compare on/off at equal volume. There are workarounds, but they all require extra steps.

baconpaul wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:37 am
gotcha. i'm setting the vst3 bypass parameter and also if it is set bypassing the audio. the vst3 parameter api is pretty gnarly but sounds to me like foobar2000 vst3 adapter isn't reading the parameter kBypass flag properly perhaps? I don't have the daw but i think it's probably a bug to report to them.

I'll add input gain to the output gain issue also thanks. I have both in the rack plugin. My original naive thinking with many of the first two week feature request was "in a daw environment you can just do this in your daw" but seems like that's not a great workflow for all users / all daws.
It is probably a bug with the adapter, I will check with a newer version.

Having those gain controls would be redundant in a full featured host yes, but in this foobar instance it should be useful. Peak meters would be extremely helpful, and nothing too fancy just enough to show it's not above 0dBFS and in a good range below that. If the instance is bypassed or removed for example, the gains set by the previous (in the chain) instance would be set without relation to the removed instance, keeping it all organized. I think inside a full features host these items could be disabled for optimization.

Not sure if those gain settings should be a singleton (doesn't matter what plugin is chosen, all use the same settings until changed, for the instance) or as parameters for the program. I sense danger with switching plugins and radical gain settings :|

This one is phenomenal !!

I Use Chris PlugS quite a bit, but this makes it more tidy and accessible , Plus this way you are only updating ONE plug in...great stuff

Big cheers to you Paul..... and Chris obviously ⭐️

Return to “Effects”