Convo Boy registered version data-execute violation

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With Data Execute Prevention enabled, the registered version of Convo Boy (both verion 1.07 and 2.04) causes the host application to be terminated when the Convo Boy DLL is loaded. I didn't see this problem with the free version. Any chance of a fix?

What is 'Data Execute Prevention' ?
Which host?

I think he means the Windows XP SP2 feature http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352
Regards, Mike

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry for not being clearer to start with.

'Convo Boy' is storing and reading some data in the registry - specifically the license information. Does this happen with my other licensed plug-ins or do you only have 'Convo Boy'?

I don't think there's any way that accessing the registry could cause a DEP violation. Most Windows programs use the registry in some way. A DEP violation means that Convo Boy is executing memory in the heap or stack, which should only contain data and not executable instructions.

msl wrote:I don't think there's any way that accessing the registry could cause a DEP violation. Most Windows programs use the registry in some way. A DEP violation means that Convo Boy is executing memory in the heap or stack, which should only contain data and not executable instructions.
In this respect, the licensed version of Convo Boy is no different to the free version.

I tried reverting back to version 103k of Convo_Boy.dll and everything loads fine with DEP enabled. When I switch back to version 204 then Convo_Boy.dll fails to load. Switching off DEP allows v204 of Convo_Boy.dll to load. There is certainly a difference between v103k and v204 in this respect. Thanks for looking into the problem.

silly question, but you're changing 103 to "Convo_Boy.bak" or something that doesn't have ".dll" as the extension, correct?

Greg

I'm deleting the DLL entirely and replacing it with the other version each time I change.

I turned on full DEP on my own PC but was not able to reproduce the problem. Convo Boy V2.04 loaded fine in both Cubase and SONAR.

Anybody else having a problem with this?

Probably a silly question, but you are using a processor with hardware DEP right? So an Athlon64 or latest revision Pentium 4. Enabling DEP won't have any effect otherwise.

msl wrote:Probably a silly question, but you are using a processor with hardware DEP right? So an Athlon64 or latest revision Pentium 4. Enabling DEP won't have any effect otherwise.
Not a silly question. My hardware doesn't support DEP but Windows tells me that it can use software based DEP.

Anyway, it seems that I am not in a position to re-produce the problem on my development PC.

Return to “Elevayta”