Bitwig modulation mapping preview

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

I'm not into house cats other than picking their droppings out of the sandbox before my kids do nasty stuff with them, but I found an awesome update on modulation in bitwig here:
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... 7#p1490287
garyboozy on the ableton forums wrote:the new mapping system is a joy to use. they got rid of the dropdown menus for routing stuff and just went click-drag-happy. so much nicer. it's really coming together quickly now (i know i know, "quickly"...)
Note how he sets the range to be modulated on the target with the LFO and the macro knob directly on the mod target knob, sort of like in Newsonicarts' Granite.

Also, miraculously, unlike Live, the target knob doesn't snap to zero when mapped to a macro knob. That must be some really cutting edge programming, because after several years Ableton still hasn't managed to fix it. :roll:

On the development delay mentioned elsewhere, I have to disagree: Live 9 took three years to develop as well and they had a solid base to build on. And what they actually achieved in those three years is in my humble opinion almost laughable (a browser nobody wanted, one new bundled third-party effect, one new GUI for an old effect, session automation and 64bit support but no bit bridge). I love Ableton and have been using Live for years, but man, where is the vision? (I guess vision is a Max for Live device now)

While I agree that the noisy announcements from Bitwig followed by months of complete silence are confusing to say the least, I don't think they deserve the mockery any more than old Ableton would. It also seems that the pace is picking up.

Here's that other preview of the linux version from earlier this year, lest somebody overlook it in the feline thread:
http://www.linux-community.de/Internal/ ... fuer-Linux

You so understate the new stuff in Live that there is nothing else to do...

I reckon developing the Push controller* with such tight integration would have required a pretty significant amount of R&D effort.

+ free random cat picture of your choosing :hihi:

Peace,
Andy.

* which to be frank, looks completely awesome and might cause me to trade Maschine.
... space is the place ...

Push not having stepsequencing for synths was a bit of a letdown... :(
I'd love to see how the guys at bitwig will use Push to do their bidding :)
:hug:

Oh dear, I derailed my own thread by mentioning Ableton in the same post as Bitwig. :shock:

I love the mapping the way it's shown, especially directly assigning the macro range and not having the value snap to zero. These would be huge workflow improvements.

So in live, if you have a synth patch and you want to make some macroknobs for it and you select for instance cutoff (which for instance currently is at 46%), it would snap back to 0% if you assigned it to a macro? Do i understand it right? Sorry for long sentence :oops:
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:So in live, if you have a synth patch and you want to make some macroknobs for it and you select for instance cutoff (which for instance currently is at 46%), it would snap back to 0% if you assigned it to a macro? Do i understand it right? Sorry for long sentence :oops:
Yep. In Live 8 and 9 as well.

Not like it wasn't mentioned in the Beta, but I guess they were busy fixing the browser, autoupdate and other cutting edge features we may or may not know about. :roll:

And then you have to manually set the range in the macro assignments table that the macro should sweep through (i.e. 100% of the macro is 35%-65% on the filter).

PLEASE NO MORE CATS

Each time better, I know it will not have everything I want, they told themselfs with detail on their public facebook page, but it really looks good.
ZenPunkHippy wrote:I reckon developing the Push controller* with such tight integration would have required a pretty significant amount of R&D effort.

+ free random cat picture of your choosing :hihi:

Peace,
Andy.

* which to be frank, looks completely awesome and might cause me to trade Maschine.
Honestly I am unsure if Bitwig will be much behind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKO7X7KnxYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUE8NosuCIU

Seems good enough for me if the novation products have the same integration, or someone hacks them to have in the official API.

Bitwig Studio comes with a Javascript API for controllers.. surely the more used controllers will have mappings shortly after release (if not AT release)

The only thing that concerns me is pricing... they are still being quiet on price.. they already know what is going to be included in the product at version 1 (all on their homepage in screenshots), so why not release the price?

pc999 wrote:PLEASE NO MORE CATS
I concur. Threads that have serious content (such as this one) should remain free of disruptive comments, cat pictures, filksong lyrics, and the like. There are other threads suitable for messing around.

AlienForce wrote:
Crackbaby wrote:So in live, if you have a synth patch and you want to make some macroknobs for it and you select for instance cutoff (which for instance currently is at 46%), it would snap back to 0% if you assigned it to a macro? Do i understand it right? Sorry for long sentence :oops:
Yep. In Live 8 and 9 as well.
There is an option you can turn on in the options.txt that gets rid of this I believe
-AutoAdjustMacroMappingRange

I think is the one, you can also add -EnableMapToSiblings, to give you the option to map the same value on a rack to the same macro for all siblings, i.e. map volume of all simpler's in a rack to the same macro knob at once

I'd love to see "anyone" other than the guy in the video make push do their bidding? :roll: Looks complicated... :)

DHR53 wrote:I'd love to see "anyone" other than the guy in the video make push do their bidding? :roll: Looks complicated... :)
Theres a bunch of review/preview vids out now and they all seem to be able to do just as well as ableton's guy. Check out the one from yesterday on synthtopia

wasi wrote:I'm not into house cats other than picking their droppings out of the sandbox before my kids do nasty stuff with them, but I found an awesome update on modulation in bitwig here:
https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... 7#p1490287
garyboozy on the ableton forums wrote:the new mapping system is a joy to use. they got rid of the dropdown menus for routing stuff and just went click-drag-happy. so much nicer. it's really coming together quickly now (i know i know, "quickly"...)
Note how he sets the range to be modulated on the target with the LFO and the macro knob directly on the mod target knob, sort of like in Newsonicarts' Granite.

Also, miraculously, unlike Live, the target knob doesn't snap to zero when mapped to a macro knob. That must be some really cutting edge programming, because after several years Ableton still hasn't managed to fix it. :roll:
This isn't like Granite. Granite is like Surge, and Surge was one of the first to do this. Also George at DiscoDSP get's a nod for making it a standard feature in his plugins as well.

claes (the developer of Surge) works @ bitwig FTR.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”