One-Synth-Challenge Special: Computer Music - Chat & Gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aalto Alpha CM-101 CM-303 CM-505 Curve 2 CM Dominator DUNE One RG - Rhythm Guitar Rhino Scanned Synth Mini SynthMaster 2 Zebra

One-Synth-Challenge Website

Note that this thread is for chat and gossip ONLY, submissions go in the other thread.

Computer Music magazine

Last edited by V'ger on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow - just picked up a CM magazine with a DVD at the bookstore yesterday, good timing.

OMG!!!
This looks to be a very exciting month
That prize list is very impressive indeed! :shock:

Looking forward to a bumper crop of entries for this one, I reckon records may be broken!

OMG :)

Ok, questions then - for the record:

1. do we have to pick just 1 CM synth, or can we use more than 1 synth, as long as it's CM?

2. CM effects are allowed - but can we still use any other free / DAW effect (as long as it complies with the general rules)?
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

We have to use just one synth from CM, but we have the freedom to choose it, right?

So, am I right that to find out what VSTi plugins can I use, I should buy online edition or IRL edition with DVD?
tw | yt | ig

I am stupidly excited about this. Too much choice! So many prizes! Such fierce competition! OK, not so excited about that last bit.   :)
There's a list of CM plug-ins here: http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic ... cts-571808
Last edited by loft_electronics on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This will break the previous record of submitted tracks. Over 100?

Would it make any sense to have participants keep the name of the synth they use a secret...letting people guess until the contest concludes?

I am always amazed at the unexpected qualities our talented composer/sound programmer/producers bring out of what I considered unlikely soft synths. Others may share my surprise and appreciation.

Cool isn't it.. :hyper: Big thanks to Lee at CM for fixing and of course all the donators for the fabulous prizes. :tu:
idfpower wrote:1. do we have to pick just 1 CM synth, or can we use more than 1 synth, as long as it's CM?

2. CM effects are allowed - but can we still use any other free / DAW effect (as long as it complies with the general rules)?
Yes it's still a One-Synth-Challenge, so it's Any One CM Synth.

Normal effect rules are still in play, just with the added bonus of using CM effects as well (those that are within the rules of course).
bftucker wrote:Would it make any sense to have participants keep the name of the synth they use a secret...letting people guess until the contest concludes?
Normal OSC rules forces you to disclose the DAW and all effects used but never the synth (for obvious reasons), so for this competition it makes sense to declare the synth as well, I will update the rules about this.

Wow those prizes! I definitely foresee a slew of entries. Yikes! But it will be fun!

Curious, is RhinoCM off the list because of all the samples it makes available as oscillators?

It would be best to have a list with all the synths (and why not also effects?) that are allowed - that will solve a lot of potential issues later on ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

With all the CM plugins released over the years (in different formats etc), the risk of missing some if making a list and thus creating an unfair situation is too great, but it is anyway all common sense stuff, check the rules yourselves. (No modulation, pitch or too distorting or wild effects and no samples allowed in DAW or synths (single-cycle samples for wavetable synthesis are Ok))

As with every OSC competition, it is mostly based on the honor system what people use and don't use, although project files can be requested when there's doubt.

Hey V'ger - not sure if you were answering the RhinoCM question there - it's a bit of a gray area rules-wise, so curious what to make of it. You can pick regular single-cycle waves for the oscillators - saw, triangle, etc. - but also other short multi-cycle samples, like a half-sec string loop, or ones like "ride cymbal", "metal clank" etc.

It's a pretty neat synth, my favorite of the ones I've played with so far - but not sure if it'd disqualify itself because of it's sample-based features. Maybe we just need to swear not to touch the sample-based features if the synth has them? :)

Return to “Instruments”