smex ep

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've put up 5 SIGHUP tracks on my website based on the rules for the Smartelectronix contest. My entry is now in, so I thought I'd share the results.

All tracks available for download here (mp3s, 192kbps, 3 minutes in length.) The tracks are of the ambient/noise/glitch/drone stylee. If you like any of the following you might be interested:
  • David Kristian, Daniel Menche, Merzbow, Herbert Brün, Fennesz, Oval, Jim O'Rourke, Warren Defever, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Pan Sonic, Trevor Wishart, vurt, Gas, Aube, Phill Niblock, etc.
My intent with these tracks was to make music as it falls apart.

Be careful with volume and speakers. Shouldn't do any damage, but there is always a chance.

All tracks made in Audiomulch, following the rules of the contest (only smex sounds and effects). Here's a brief description of each track:
  • smex1 - this is my contest entry - Synthetic rhythm loop torn down the middle
    smex2 - ambient number populated by squishy digital creatures
    smex3 - bubbly digital stuff (this one probably most likely to offend your speakers)
    smex4 - a big chugging drone
    smex5 - a chamber piece with broken rhythm section
All songs are licensed under a Creative Commons deed, which can be viewed here, and which gives you the listener some extra freedoms beyond standard copyright laws. These tracks are done, so I don't really need any advice, but feedback always appreciated.

Please also feel encouraged to share your entries. I've heard two others so far (JDub and Michael Upton,) both very good.

Cheers and enjoy,
Steve

i haven't had a chance to hear any other
work spawned by this comp ...
i appreciate this opportunity ...

listened to #1 and #2 ...
i liked #2 a bit more , diety knows why ...

a new genre is born ... SETIcore ...

Dang; you did what I had in mind, but couldn't find a solution for (or didn't try hard enough :? ). I also had in mind to do two phasing sequences... This is like Steve Reich's piano phase, but without the piano :wink:

I agree though with normal, second one is way better. Love the sounds in there; especially those deep droney pads.

Okay; what did you use there at the beginning of track three to create that wavery sound that was in the second one too. Totally cool sound and greatly phased and placed into the stereofield.

Anyhow; I'm not smart. Totally different I guess

Mystahr wrote:Dang; you did what I had in mind, but couldn't find a solution for (or didn't try hard enough :? ). I also had in mind to do two phasing sequences... This is like Steve Reich's piano phase, but without the piano :wink:
Phasing is one of my favourite techniques. I was actually just listening to an old live recording of piano phase this morning. With smex1, four instances of the same loop are running, 2 at pitch A and 2 at pitch B, and 1 at each pitch value slowly moves out of phase. And a shambling rhythm is born.
Mystahr wrote:I agree though with normal, second one is way better. Love the sounds in there; especially those deep droney pads.
It's funny, I figured folks would take more to smex1 than smex2. So much for instinct.
Mystahr wrote:Okay; what did you use there at the beginning of track three to create that wavery sound that was in the second one too. Totally cool sound and greatly phased and placed into the stereofield.
I can't rightfully remember. Part of the reason why smex2 wasn't my entry. I kept many versions of files to keep track of this stuff, but after a while it got complicated to keep sorted (maybe smex 2a2ba.amh?).

I believe it is a bit played from Galactix, through splonki, and maybe relofter, pitched down, then maybe thru analog delay.
Mystahr wrote:Anyhow; I'm not smart. Totally different I guess
I dig this. I tried out several more beat oriented stuff, but I just couldn't get it right. So far, the stuff I've heard from the compo reminds me a lot of Thurston Moore's Root project he released on Lo Recordings a few years ago. Because the sound choice is limited, individual style really becomes the focus of the track.
normal wrote:a new genre is born ... SETIcore ...
I just may keep that. :wink:

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Music Cafe”