Everything Fun About Synthesis

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a year or two ago i mentioned writing a pdf on percussion synthesis. and time passed.

what that promise became is presented here.. much more a series of short essays where an old person enjoys writing than the charted data presentation one might anticipate, more contemplations than method, i hope there are sentiments within every reader can find worth the time to read.

the flower of my erudition, quick before the petals are lofted on the wind

http://xoxos.net :)

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

No such file. What a tease!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

fixed the link, you might need to refresh your cache of the page.. if it's not working, change the link to remove upper case.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

getting know, very curious,

later

Could be pretty interesting, looking forward to reading it (all in one sitting) when I have time to in the near future. Thanks. :)

Great read. Thank you!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Good to see this coming from you xoxos!

ty :)

i started thinking about such a document in 2013 when i was making adze and bong. i made a solid start in january and realised, the best of what i have to offer is more "strategic" than "tactical" level tips like "phase modulation at 60% is the best".

because of the way i enjoy writing, it may be somewhat challenging for someone looking for a list of "tactical" level tips, obviously i feel that it is worth much more in it's current form :)

so i am hoping that, novice or expert, you will enjoy it and find some benefit. it's maybe a half hour read, longer in the night because it will probably put you to sleep unless you really are accustomed to this style of writing.. which is precisely intentful in its advocacy of "useful perspective".

:)

i really say, my best to you.....

Downloading...

Cheers, xoxos!

10 pages...

Is there a chapter devoted to 64 bit synth plugs?

Looks interesting, I download the pdf and read it in one go when I'll have some free time. This is my kind of read! Thanks!

i threw the last bit describing three of my vst in there quickly, thought it was a good idea since they likely go overlooked in this day and age otherwise.

a bit too quick though, the ones i should have mentioned were the mass-spring percussion set. even though they are very simple, eg. their intrinsic timbral response to dynamics is a feature not found in most synthesis algorithms today, and add a touch of "organicish animation" .. (once upon a time late 1990's "organic" was a big catchword in electronic music...) EM is all a giant mass of splut nowadays, there's no real discretisation.. but these are rare and unique implementations.

it's not as if it makes a tremendous difference.. you can make an entire track with dynamic mass-spring percussions, add a bunch of "fauna" animal voices (chimps are fun percussion) and you still end up with a slab of prerecorded audio. as time goes on, novelty is less intriguing, it's still the purpose, intent, perspective in media that engages past the tinsel stage.

of course, there are still persons who envaluate otherwise - who wish to convey that their use of some sound generation process or other entails significance.. "i used 50,000 volts" or something, who will find audiences to impress, until someone comes along with a few more zeros. the "tinsel uber alles" set who are satisfied with domineering those lower on the tinsel scale than themselves.

this document is, in part, about trying to convey a perspective above all of that, and save slogging through the process.

Does anyone have a copy of this? I'd be interested to read it.

wintoid wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 am Does anyone have a copy of this? I'd be interested to read it.
at one point, (amongst his many other foibles and shapeshifting backstories), ol' xoxycodeine there used to be very insistent that helping someone was an act of violence towards them (because something something jainism), so here's a punch in the face for ya, in the form of a link to the archive.org page you can download it from...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160623113 ... xoxos.net/
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”