Waves F6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ

Anyone use this EQ ? I am wondering about it, the "need to EQ" EQ, seems nice, a nice idea, I like the idea of EQ on threshold, but how does it actually work in practice ?

One trick pony or useful ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Try TDR Nova. Better and free.
tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Bears, vodka, balalayka.
Mixing tracks. neurodriveaudio@gmail.com

TDR Nova is a high-quality dynamic EQ and is free, so I suggest having a play with that :)

Dynamic EQ is definitely not a one-trick pony. It's useful for de-essing and taking out odd resonances. It can also be handy to boost and compress a frequency range so the overall level is raised but peaks don't get too crazy.

LeVzi wrote:One trick pony or useful ?
Useful like every other decent dynamic EQ.

I have both F6 and Nova. I do like them both. F6 is lighter on the CPU if that matters much. It also has a range control that limits how much it will cut. Handy feature to keep you from overdoing it. Nova does sound great and I'd say I have one or the other on almost all my mixes. I use them to cut harsh frequencies from a singers voice without killing their tone like a big static EQ cut would. It keeps things more natural. It's also great on resonances on upright bass. I can dial in that frequency and have it cut only when needed. It keeps things from becoming hollow sounding by too many EQ cuts.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions , really appreciate it.

Par9 Zalpov wrote:Try TDR Nova. Better and free.
tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Define 'better'. The free version of Nova doesn't do boosting based on a threshold like F6 can. F6 also goes much narrower for very precise cuts. F6 also has per band mid/side. All in all I would say F6 is the more powerful product.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Donˋt miss to have a look at Toneboosters FlX v3. It is the most flexible one but part of a bundle. Itˋs called Bustools iirc and has a limiter, bus compressor, a strip, a de-esser and some more very good tools too for the price pf nova.

it's really hard to go wrong buying Waves's digital plugin, I think they are awesome. I like the F6 better than C4/C6. it's a tool to move fast.

if u buy because u need u won't regret, but if u buy from gas, u are likely to not only not enjoy but to also have a loss $$$ due to wup and waves's license transfer fee.

Nova is awesome too. but while similar it's different. I use it only as a "last alternative" to remove the annoying frequency (the cpu hit is hard) and the learn feature (but only available on GE).

there are plenty of alternatives, but I can't think of an alternative at USD 24.

do_androids_dream wrote: Define 'better'. The free version of Nova doesn't do boosting based on a threshold like F6 can.
Nova GE can boost also.

F6 can nothing - coz F6 unavailable for free.
do_androids_dream wrote: F6 also goes much narrower for very precise cuts.
Nova GE can be pretty narrow (q 12) this is more than enough in most cases.
do_androids_dream wrote: F6 also has per band mid/side.
Nava also has mid/side. Not per single bands, but anyway.

Also F6 can not:
-spectrum matching
-automatic spectrum analyzing for cutting resonances
-fast pink noise matching
-sidechain detector for each band with custom hz
do_androids_dream wrote: All in all I would say F6 is the more powerful product.
I would say it sounds little bit funny, coz F6 does not have spec. analyzer.
Last edited by Par9 Zalpov on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bears, vodka, balalayka.

Par9 Zalpov wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: Define 'better'. The free version of Nova doesn't do boosting based on a threshold like F6 can.
Nova GE can boost also.

F6 can nothing - coz F6 unavailable for free..
Nova GE can nothing - coz Nova GE unavailable for free..
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Par9 Zalpov wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: Nova GE can nothing - coz Nova GE unavailable for free..
then use Nova. its free :lol:
Bears, vodka, balalayka.

In the end , I went with Waves, and glad I did. Really finding a lot of use for this. Especially on some harsh "old" leads I have.

Thanks for the advice though.

trmupstage wrote:I have both F6 and Nova. I do like them both. F6 is lighter on the CPU if that matters much. It also has a range control that limits how much it will cut. Handy feature to keep you from overdoing it. Nova does sound great and I'd say I have one or the other on almost all my mixes. I use them to cut harsh frequencies from a singers voice without killing their tone like a big static EQ cut would. It keeps things more natural. It's also great on resonances on upright bass. I can dial in that frequency and have it cut only when needed. It keeps things from becoming hollow sounding by too many EQ cuts.
I like the F6 too and how each band can either work in mid, side or stereo as well as be assigned to trigger internally of via a sidechain. This has actually become quite useful to me recently. The quality is there too, no doubt about that.

You can pretty much strap it across all your channel strips to use as a regular eq, and when something tricky comes up you can just start cutting into some of the extra parameters.

I don’t think I’d actually do this, but it might be a worthwhile approach for someone.

Waves just updated this and added a new spectrum analyzer. Can I get a "bout time"? :)

Return to “Effects”