Nexus 3 competitors?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus Phase Plant Serum

I have FL Studio, and it has FLEX. I think FLEX is a little bit like Nexus (naturally not as powerful or not having so much sounds etc but they both are sample players + you can't add your own samples/sounds to them).

But what you think is better competition for Nexus3? I mean something sample based "player" that also offers some editing options to the sounds? There's been some comments about the Nexus3 factory sounds being a bit dated - so you need to buy some expansions for it (and they are quite expensive to add that Nexus3 is also quite expensive). So is there some other similar to Nexus3 but maybe with more "fresh" sounds - or not so expensive to update the sound libraries? Or maybe something that allows users to make sound libraries also?

It's closest competitor is probably Lethal. Whether it sounds more 'fresh' is purely subjective and depends on what you want to make with it.

The perk with these is obviously they use next to zero CPU but in all honesty a synth which you can have more editing and saving options is a better option e.g. Avenger which offers almost the same professional level of sounds/expansions (given they're by the same sound designers usually), but obviously is a full-blown synth not a rompler and you can also get 3rd party soundbanks/expansions for it not just the ones from the vendor themselves.

+ flex in actually a synth. IL is (or was) planning to release the 'back-end' of that as well. Flex is more powerful in the sense that it is a synth (substractive, FM, PM, additive, WT, samples). ...... Not sure if they will ever release it as a seperate synth though

I think FLEX is the closest thing you'll get with a Nexus-like experience. It's no wonder why it was called the free Fl Studio Nexus once it was released. From what it looks though, It's unlikely that it will see a standalone release (at least soon), though other IL VSTs have in the past, so maybe FLEX will have its time too.
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 am I think FLEX is the closest thing you'll get with a Nexus-like experience. It's no wonder why it was called the free Fl Studio Nexus once it was released. From what it looks though, It's unlikely that it will see a standalone release (at least soon), though other IL VSTs have in the past, so maybe FLEX will have its time too.
When they released FLEX, they said they want to release the back end as a synth as well. However, that was quite some time ago...still hope they they will release it

exmatproton wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 pm + flex in actually a synth. IL is (or was) planning to release the 'back-end' of that as well. Flex is more powerful in the sense that it is a synth (substractive, FM, PM, additive, WT, samples). ...... Not sure if they will ever release it as a seperate synth though
That would be really great if IL would do that!

I'm really a FL Studio fan and Flex is cool and the big advantage is its integration in the DAW, because you can control it directly with all the piano roll features, which often is not so possible with 3rd party VSTs. But Nexus3 still has way more sound expansions, especially for "modern" mainstream genres and they still producing new ones. But yes, they're really expensive and especially some old expansions are dated and not always "high-quality", but sometimes are cheaper. Some of the newer expansions are great.

Tannaliini wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 am I have FL Studio, and it has FLEX. I think FLEX is a little bit like Nexus (naturally not as powerful or not having so much sounds etc but they both are sample players + you can't add your own samples/sounds to them).

But what you think is better competition for Nexus3? I mean something sample based "player" that also offers some editing options to the sounds? There's been some comments about the Nexus3 factory sounds being a bit dated - so you need to buy some expansions for it (and they are quite expensive to add that Nexus3 is also quite expensive). So is there some other similar to Nexus3 but maybe with more "fresh" sounds - or not so expensive to update the sound libraries? Or maybe something that allows users to make sound libraries also?
Owning pretty much all of the mentioned in this thread I can say that the only thing that comes close to Nexus is Avenger. Nexus isn't just a samples player it's a concept with presets containing 10 layers and 16 oscs for example. Especially the SQ concept (aka modular construction kits) is missing from all other virtual instruments.

If you are just after "sounds" you could pretty much use any synth from Serum to Sylenth up to any to a sample driven player like Kontakt or Halion/(Sonic).

Neither Flex nor Lethal have this SQ concept including drums, interchangeable arpeggios and melodies or complex host synced presets (risers, fills, cinematic evolving musical bits based on several layers and so on). They also can't cope with the amount of FX and modulation possibilities included in Nexus.
Nexus can pretty much alter these presets a lot despite his reputation of just being a simple sample player (what Lethal for example just is).

The closest thing really is Avenger because of the same layer and SQ concept of it. Also sound wise (in terms of genre) primarily focused on the same genres as Nexus. Of course this is obvious as there are pretty much the same sound designers behind the expansion packs for Nexus as well as Avenger.

However I think the success of Nexus comes from these highly experienced producers with real world chart topping releases/experiences.

I mean its pretty much as simple as listening to the demos of all these synths especially the expansion packs. At least in my ears Nexus und Avenger expansions packs are always on fire if you are after a commercial EDM sound. Neither Lethal nor Flex can't cope with this concept and overall these experienced sound designers in my opinion. To say a good pad sound or a good saw lead is dated - I can't understand this mind-set. This would mean that every analog substractive style virtual instrument is "dated". You can use all these sounds in every genre especially in this constantly re-circling genres as it was the case with the 90s house revival the last years for example. Your old saw lead synth based preset doesn't mind if you are doing 90s trance or 2020 future pop rnb.

If you are just after "sounds" all these other are doing fine. Personally I like Lethal as a bread and butter preset base instrument. Especially the drum samples are a pretty fine useful collection for real world production.

Another contender if you are doing hip hop / trap music would be Initial Audio's Heatup 3 (but again, just sounds, no SQ concept here too).

Regarding adding your own samples - Avenger again would be the only contender offering concepts and sound design in the realm of Nexus but with endless sound design possibilities for creating your own sounds.

As mentioned above, Initial Audio's Heat Up 3 (https://initialaudio.com/product/heatup3/) is very similar in "rompler with editing potential" concept and in general sound (and use of expansion packs) to Nexus.

As an aside, although I like Nexus' sound and ease of use and use it with some regularity, I'm not much of a fan of SQs (as a concept), so I actually avoid Nexus expansions that are especially SQ heavy (unfortunately, they're almost all at least fairly SQ heavy).
Last edited by SirkusPi on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am the only competitor at the moment :)12000 presets for 12 euro vs 16000 for 3900 euro,for this amount of money in my part of the world you can buy house,car and woman hahahha :):):)
Of cource when you spend so much you have to justify it with quality - how could somebody offer something nice for 12 euro hahahha :)Cheers :)
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone/presets

I somewhat agree with outerspacecat. I own Lethal, Heatup3, Halion, etc. I don't own Nexus (simply because I hate the pricing model) but I have used it many times.

The thing that sets Nexus apart from the rest "sound wise" is simply the multi layer presets and FX. Therefore, when you load up a preset it has a production ready polish and shine.

Lethal doesn't have multi layer presets and the FX are ehh. The presets are good but they're a lot more dry. Therefore, they're not as inspirational out the box like Nexus. You can get there of course by doing your own layering, adding your own FX, etc. The same could be said for a lot of the others. Avenger could be considered close sound wise BUT it lacks the traditional bread and butter sounds.

I actually think the "closest" a user can get from what I've used is either Xpand!2 or Triton. A lot of the presets have multi layer, they include bread and butter sounds, and then you can replace the FX with something like Serum FX.

Would say that Nexus is probably best for producers performers,which don't have time or desire to make their own sound,but enough financial resource to afford it.
Xpand!2 is surprisingly original and for the money is no brainer.
Sektor is similar,but the sound isn't so impressive on prima vista :)
I just saw that three guys put a thumb down on my joke hahahha another three people without sense of humor :)

best service titan2 = has also sampled lot of nexus presets, but you can't compare it soundwise

How about Ana2 compared to Avenger? Ana 2 has 3 sample based oscilators + 3 "basic" oscilators? Or does Avenger offer more sample editing options?

I think the SQ is not very important to me (SQ =sequencing?)... Mostly why I am interested in Nexus3 (or perhaps something else not so heavy on the wallet) is because I kind of like the easiness of FLEX = the sounds are right away there to use, and they are quite fast variety = they don't sound same sound after sound (as some other synth's sounds tend to do). But what I miss in FLEX is more flexibility on the sound editing. Not much, but even a little bit more editing options would be soooo much!

Return to “Instruments”