Free Wavetable Converter for Zebra2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

I just released a free tool that converts standard 256x2048 format wavetables into Zebra2 oscillator presets (.h2p files). I'm guessing most of you remember wav2zebra and blueberry thing. This is a similar idea except it does a batch conversion of any folder of wavetables. I included Geo Blend and Spectro Blend options. Hope this will hold some of us over until Zebra3 comes out (can't wait!!). Have fun:

https://www.bvbvlon.com/freeware.html

Zebrum.jpeg

tl;dr notes (boring snoozefest): The Spectro Blend mode on this is a lot more accurate than previous attempts. It appears billstei (legend, king, creator of Blueberry Thing) was scaling the amplitudes of each partial correctly. The problem is, the graph in Spectro Blend is already scaled according to the harmonic series, i.e. If you want a saw wave in Spectro blend, you place each of the 128 partial at 1 (100%). (For UX reasons, this was a good call on Urs's part). If the Spectro Bool graph was scaled to the actual amplitude of each partial, the partial values for a saw would be 1, 0.5, 0.33, 0.25, etc. So for Zebrum (that's what I'm calling the new tool), I fixed that issue.

Other improvements: Neither wav2zebra or BlueBerry Thing had a batch processing feature, so the reason i made this was mostly because i just wanted to be able to press a single button and transfer all my wavetables to .h2p. Since 256x2048 has become a standard with all the wavetable synths, that made it a lot easier. The program just takes 16 single-cycle waveforms from the wavetable, spaced evenly from the first to the last, and either downsamples them to 128 samples each in Geo blend, or uses the first 128 partials of an fft of each waveform in Spectro blend. The result in Spectro blend mode is the equivalent of taking a wavetable in any of the big name modern wavetable synths, removing all but every 16th single-cycle waveform, removing any partials above 128, setting the phase of the remaining partials to 0 degrees, and then using whatever "spectral morph" feature those synths all have to interpolate between the remaining 16 waveforms. The result in Zebra2 is an extremely smooth transition between waveforms and, for that reason, I highly recommend using spectro blend over geo when using this tool. - Also, crank that Normalize knob on the Zebra2 oscillator all the way up

Anyways, thanks Urs for all the fantastic instruments over the years. Can't wait for Z3!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bvbvlon wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:52 am I just released a free tool that converts standard 256x2048 format wavetables into Zebra2 oscillator presets (.h2p files). I'm guessing most of you remember wav2zebra and blueberry thing. This is a similar idea except it does a batch conversion of any folder of wavetables. I included Geo Blend and Spectro Blend options. Hope this will hold some of us over until Zebra3 comes out (can't wait!!). Have fun:

https://www.bvbvlon.com/freeware.html

Zebrum.jpeg

Anyways, thanks Urs for all the fantastic instruments over the years. Can't wait for Z3!
Even if the the converts have not the quality and resolution of the original it's a usefull tool which can offer good results for musical use.
Many thanks !!!

I can't seem to get this to work. I tried both single and batch. With batch it only converted a few out of a folder and none of those seemed to load correctly into a Z2 OSC. With Single conversion I also tried loading the OSC preset, but it didn't seem to do anything. These were Serum wavetables so I assume they are suitable wavetables to use?

cb8rwh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 pm I can't seem to get this to work. I tried both single and batch. With batch it only converted a few out of a folder and none of those seemed to load correctly into a Z2 OSC. With Single conversion I also tried loading the OSC preset, but it didn't seem to do anything. These were Serum wavetables so I assume they are suitable wavetables to use?
You must have .net Framework v.4.7.2 installed ! -otherwise it don't work !

I got it to work with batch converting some samples, but this software is not finished. It does indeed not converting Serum tables.

Beside this, if I want synthesized samples I use a Hive converter script and getting good results with samples and Serum tables up to 8 seconds.
( Up to 8 seconds you can get the hole sample/wavetable)
Therefore I use Hive if I want resynthesized samples with an U-He synth.
Zebra2 has other great features and the best sound quality of all synthesizer VSTis I have.

cb8rwh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 pm I can't seem to get this to work. I tried both single and batch. With batch it only converted a few out of a folder and none of those seemed to load correctly into a Z2 OSC. With Single conversion I also tried loading the OSC preset, but it didn't seem to do anything. These were Serum wavetables so I assume they are suitable wavetables to use?
Zebrum currently only works with full 256 position wavetables. If there are less than 256 (or more), the program skips those wavetables and moves on to the next in line. I'm assuming this is why only some of your wavetables were processed, because that's the only time i've seen it happen, and i've tested it on hundreds of wavetables. A temporary workaround is to convert wavetables to full 256 using Serum's spectral morph feature.

For the other issue, (tables that were successfully converted to h2p but "didn't load correctly") My best guess is that you may have converted them using the Geo conversion method and imported them to a Z2 OSC using a waveform mode other than Geo Blend. or Spectro conversion then imported them using a setting besides Spectro blend. (Keep in mind, Zebrum does not work for either Geo Morph or Spectro Morph in any capacity.)

If you used geo conversion and geo blend together, you should get a result that looks something like this (notice the positive and negative sample amplitudes) :
GeoBlend.png
However, if you used Spectro conversion and uploaded that to a Spectro Blend OSC, the result should look something like this (notice the amplitudes of each partial are all positive):
SpectroBlend.png
If this is not the case, and you are in fact matching your spectro and geo h2ps to their correct Z2 OSC waveform setting, it would be greatly helpful for you to send me the original wavetable and the Zebrum h2p conversion. I would be happy to take a look and determine whether or not there is a bug, and fix it if there indeed is one. I am planning on releasing an update anyways that allows conversion of wavetables of any length to h2p format (1, 16, 64, 128, 256 single-cycle waveforms per table, or any number in between) since many wavetables out there don't utilize all 256 and the time-consuming task of editing each wavetable in Serum before conversion kind of defeats the whole purpose of batch converting. Perhaps I should have placed more emphasis on 256x2048 tables only in my post. I really appreciate feedback! Hope to hear back from you about those issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MorpherX wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:35 pm
bvbvlon wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:46 am
I got it to work with batch converting some samples, but this software is not finished. It does indeed not converting Serum tables.

Beside this, if I want synthesized samples I use a Hive converter script and getting good results with samples and Serum tables up to 8 seconds.
( Up to 8 seconds you can get the hole sample/wavetable)
Therefore I use Hive if I want resynthesized samples with an U-He synth.
Zebra2 has other great features and the best sound quality of all synthesizer VSTis I have.
Zebrum currently only works with full 256 position wavetables. If there are less than 256 (or more), the program skips those wavetables and moves on to the next in line. I'm assuming this is why only some of your wavetables were processed, because that's the only time i've seen it happen, and i've tested it on hundreds of wavetables. A temporary workaround is to convert wavetables to full 256 using Serum's spectral morph feature.

I am planning on releasing an update anyways that allows conversion of wavetables of any length to h2p format (1, 16, 64, 128, 256 single-cycle waveforms per table, or any number in between) since many wavetables out there don't utilize all 256 and the time-consuming task of editing each wavetable in Serum before conversion kind of defeats the whole purpose of batch converting. Perhaps I should have placed more emphasis on 256x2048 tables only in my post. I really appreciate feedback! Hope to hear back from you about those issues.
What's the Hive converter script you're talking about called? sounds very useful.

So Zebrum does in fact convert Serum tables. Just, not ALL of them, atm. They must use all 256 single-cycle waveforms in the table. But I do agree that it's not "finished" currently, mainly because in the cases that when it doesn't work, there's no warning or success/failure report given to the user after the operation. This is mainly just me rushing to release it and trying to avoid more C++/C# interop headaches. However, I am working on giving it the capability to work on any sized wavetable between 1 and 256 (provided they're 2048 samples per cycle. I didn't really realize how many people use non-256 position wavetables. I always import my wavetables in Phaseplant so all my wavetables are 256 positions, save for a handful of wavetable packs I've purchased. Thanks for giving the tool a shot, and for the great feedback! I will let you all know here in this thread when I make an update!

Thank you for the suggestions guys, appreciate it

Cool tool for Z3bra

thx, i just tried to use osc-gen but im not a programmer... :D

Pine. Would pay for a Mac version.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

bvbvlon is the source code that does the conversion available?

We could make it into an online tool so that everyone can use it.

Hey guys, the link is no longer working, does anyone have the Zebrum?
I dream of wavetables

lyuboserafimov wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:05 pm Hey guys, the link is no longer working, does anyone have the Zebrum?
Wayback machine is our friend:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210704031 ... eware.html
;)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:14 pm
lyuboserafimov wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:05 pm Hey guys, the link is no longer working, does anyone have the Zebrum?
Wayback machine is our friend:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210704031 ... eware.html
;)
The link works, but when I download, I get an error message that says 'failed - no file'.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Return to “u-he”