Incorrect audio tempo

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is a project with a tempo of 128 bpm in Bitwig . If you export it to mp3, and then throw this mp3 back into the Bitwig project (128 bpm) on an audio track, then this mp3 plays at a slower pace. In order for it to play normally, we have to increase the tempo of the project to 141 bpm.Why?

At the same time, if you throw an mp3 into the Bitwig sampler, then it plays correctly at the tempo.

IDK what's up but check your "Default stretch mode" in settings to make sure it's not that.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:15 am IDK what's up but check your "Default stretch mode" in settings to make sure it's not that.
Even before the publication of this topic, I tried all the modes that are on the screenshot - the audio tempo does not change, everything also lags behind 128 bpm. What else could be the matter ? In general, should the sound be determined correctly when throwing it into the Bitwig audio track? Maybe this function only works when thrown into the sampler, because the tempo of the sound is correct in it? I'm already starting to doubt everything...
23020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You want Raw to play back the file, It should leave the audio untouched as it says.

And yeah, your stretch settings work on tracks/clip launcher. Sampler is separate. Sampler doesn't have stretch modes (or warp modes some like to call it) unfortunately.

Try selecting the audio file (well the arranger clip) on the track and check in the Inspector Panel under Audio Event > Mode to make sure it says Raw there as well, just in case.

Try exporting a WAV to see if that works. If Raw is not working for MP3 specifically (same sample rate as your session right? I've never exported an MP3 in BWS before, don't know what choices you have, also I think 48k is the highest for the mp3 format) it could be a bug in which case it's time to get in touch with support. Tell them your OS, BWS version and all the other relevant details. https://www.bitwig.com/contact/ or contact@bitwig.com or support@bitwig.com

Good luck.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:08 am You want Raw to play back the file, It should leave the audio untouched as it says.
I specified "raw" for long samples and the bitrate began to sound right - 128 bpm. :clap: Apparently, any stretching modes other than "raw" are trying to change the tempo of the audio, even if it is correctly set in the project.

It turns out that if you know the true bitrate of the imported track, you need to go to the settings every time and specify "raw"?

Anatolio wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:31 am
JHernandez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:08 am You want Raw to play back the file, It should leave the audio untouched as it says.
I specified "raw" for long samples and the bitrate began to sound right - 128 bpm. :clap: Apparently, any stretching modes other than "raw" are trying to change the tempo of the audio, even if it is correctly set in the project.

It turns out that if you know the true bitrate of the imported track, you need to go to the settings every time and specify "raw"?
Na, just set it the once. It's a preference.

Like most modern DAWs Bitwig automatically converts imported audio to the session sampling rate, though personally I avoid any such conversions by making sure all my audio is always at the same sampling rate in the first place. I don't know if BW has updated their conversion algo since I last checked but I prefer to use something like Izotope RX for any conversions, if anything for peace of mind. My mentioning it above was a just in case scenario. I was just trying to figure what's wrong. Looks like it was just the stretch setting. For whatever reason the stretch algos weren't working out for you I'm guessing. Personally I always use Raw.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:03 pm Na, just set it the once. It's a preference.
But if I have "raw" set in my settings, then long samples with a bitrate different from the design one will not stretch/shrink. I.e. in any case, I will have to change the stretching settings again for the necessary case

If you have Raw setting, then no sample will be resizable. Assuming you need to resize sample, then you will be aware of this action and do this as you like.

Anatolio wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:43 am
JHernandez wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:03 pm Na, just set it the once. It's a preference.
But if I have "raw" set in my settings, then long samples with a bitrate different from the design one will not stretch/shrink. I.e. in any case, I will have to change the stretching settings again for the necessary case
It's up to you how you want it to default but if I remember right (I don't use stretch at all lately) you can change it on a track by track basis via the Inspector Panel if need be.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:33 am
It's up to you how you want it to default but if I remember right (I don't use stretch at all lately) you can change it on a track by track basis via the Inspector Panel if need be.
Exactly ! The stretching mode is in the inspector. Thank you for your help

Thank you so much for this!
Changing "Stretch" to "Raw" just saved my Bitwig!

Is it possible that this setting has been changed as a default in one of the updates the past couple of months?
I thought something in my (Linux Pipewire) system wasn't communicating properly with Bitwig, as every audio file I dragged in would play back either too slowly or to quickly.
I haven't been using Bitwig at all for a while because of this.
And I'm absolutely certain that I haven't changed this setting to "Stretch" myself, I'd have no interest in it.

Anyway, now it's working as it should, and it made me really happy!
Thank you once again. :love:

krans wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:45 am Thank you so much for this!
Changing "Stretch" to "Raw" just saved my Bitwig!

Is it possible that this setting has been changed as a default in one of the updates the past couple of months?
I thought something in my (Linux Pipewire) system wasn't communicating properly with Bitwig, as every audio file I dragged in would play back either too slowly or to quickly.
I haven't been using Bitwig at all for a while because of this.
And I'm absolutely certain that I haven't changed this setting to "Stretch" myself, I'd have no interest in it.

Anyway, now it's working as it should, and it made me really happy!
Thank you once again. :love:
I can imagine how glad you are ! Maybe it 's true , the parameter has changed in the update

JHernandez wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:33 am
Unfortunately, the inspector is a poor assistant. If I have "raw" set in the global settings, and the sample needs to be stretched and compressed, then changing the inspector from "raw" to "stretch" does not lead to anything. Therefore, before importing a sample, you have to change "raw" to "stretch" in the global settings, and only then the imported sample changes its bpm to the one installed in the project.

Anatolio wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 am Unfortunately, the inspector is a poor assistant. If I have "raw" set in the global settings, and the sample needs to be stretched and compressed, then changing the inspector from "raw" to "stretch" does not lead to anything. Therefore, before importing a sample, you have to change "raw" to "stretch" in the global settings, and only then the imported sample changes its bpm to the one installed in the project.
Yes and no...

If you want to have automatic timestretching without further user interaction, yes you should enable a stretch mode before you import the sample...

But it´s not true that changing from raw to stretch wouldn´t have any effect (as long as you have controlled that Bitwig knows the original tempo of the sample (set in the "Tempo" field in the timestretch section))...

The problem is just and this is imho one of the worst and most silly behaviour, that Bitwig isn´t automatically adjusting the clip length according to the new time stretch settings to fit the new content...

It stubbornly stays with the original boundaries of the clip no matter what...
This leads easily to misunderstanding that especially with samples with original higher tempo than the actual project the timestretch wouldn´t work...
If the sample has a slower tempo as the project you see at least that the data in the clip is now shorter than the clip itself but with higher tempo ones Bitwig just hides the now additional content...

This is really a dumb, poor and silly design and I wish they would finally improve on that...

As this global setting influences browser preview as well and I find myself using timestretched samples more than raw ones in my productions, I always leave the global setting to the timestretch mode of my choice and turn it off for the ones where I don´t need it in the arrangement...
It depends on your personal needs which way to go but keep in mind that none is flawless!

Trancit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:01 pm
Anatolio wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 am Unfortunately, the inspector is a poor assistant. If I have "raw" set in the global settings, and the sample needs to be stretched and compressed, then changing the inspector from "raw" to "stretch" does not lead to anything. Therefore, before importing a sample, you have to change "raw" to "stretch" in the global settings, and only then the imported sample changes its bpm to the one installed in the project.
Yes and no...

If you want to have automatic timestretching without further user interaction, yes you should enable a stretch mode before you import the sample...

But it´s not true that changing from raw to stretch wouldn´t have any effect (as long as you have controlled that Bitwig knows the original tempo of the sample (set in the "Tempo" field in the timestretch section))...

The problem is just and this is imho one of the worst and most silly behaviour, that Bitwig isn´t automatically adjusting the clip length according to the new time stretch settings to fit the new content...

It stubbornly stays with the original boundaries of the clip no matter what...
This leads easily to misunderstanding that especially with samples with original higher tempo than the actual project the timestretch wouldn´t work...
If the sample has a slower tempo as the project you see at least that the data in the clip is now shorter than the clip itself but with higher tempo ones Bitwig just hides the now additional content...

This is really a dumb, poor and silly design and I wish they would finally improve on that...

As this global setting influences browser preview as well and I find myself using timestretched samples more than raw ones in my productions, I always leave the global setting to the timestretch mode of my choice and turn it off for the ones where I don´t need it in the arrangement...
It depends on your personal needs which way to go but keep in mind that none is flawless!
Yes, indeed, manually editing the "Tempo" field in the time stretch section solves the problem in the absence of stretching in the global settings.

But the interesting thing is that I insert a sample with 85 bpm into a project with 128 bpm, in the global settings "stretch". The clip gets up 4 bars into the track, while playing even SLOWER than the original sample! I look at the inspector, and there is 170 bpm! That is, Bitwig determined the tempo of the sample, but for some reason multiplied it by 2 ! Why? I rule with my hands in the inspector on "85" and the sample starts playing correctly, while the sample size decreases.

Return to “Bitwig”