Best Automatic Matching EQ to Reference Track Software

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the Best Automatic Matching EQ to Reference Track Software (for Mac)?

Note: I realize I could take a snapshot of a reference track and use a surgical EQ to drag bands up and down to match, but I'm hoping to find a plugin/app that could do this for me . . . not out of laziness, but out of necessity . . . I'm wearing too many freakin' hats and need to delegate some tasks and cannot afford to pay a fellow human . . .

Try TDR as several of the Gentleman Editions have this feature.

Just be aware that this will NOT result in turning a poor song or mix into whatever you used as the source.
So... from what you say, you are trying to do what you are not strong in (or possibly not even suited to). Bring in someone who has complementary strengths and work together.

This is why good Mix Engineers command money as they can take a song that is "failing" and help it to fire. This isn't going to happen with a broken song but a workable song will be diminished with a broken mix, esp if the mix is broken as a result of trying too hard.

I know you are probably saying, "oh but that is moneys and i don't have da moneys..." This is an investment in yourself. If you want the pretty girl (boy/goat - not judgy) to notice you, a nice and clean shirt goes a long way.
:-)

Pro Q3 does it very well (and you can choose the number of band on which you reference).
I am not sure if izotope ozone does it. But it references your track against a genre and show you the differences with a very handy and useful graph.
On the cheaper side I think kilohearts does that with carve eq.

Edit: ozone has eq match which does it exactly the way you expect.
Last edited by Jac459 on Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I second what Benedict said. In general, this technique is mainly applied for polishing turds.

A statistical analysis of great sounding songs has come up with the conclusion that the distribution of frequencies in average resembles that of pink noise, with the energy falling off roughly 1 to 3 dB per octave.

Some engineers bring their mixes to their car. Pro tip: drive with moderate speed and open the windows. Now turn down the volume of the car radio. You only hear noise from the wind. Slowly raise the volume until you can barely make out the music. Is what you hear first indeed the most important element of the mix? If you have vocals or a strong melody in there, I'd expect them to surface first. Examine some existing songs this way.

So... I would never advice to mix with your eyes. Better use your ears, but you can take a look at your mix with a spectrum analyser. Mute individual channels, or raise them by 6dB and look what that does. Can you spot the sore thumb sticking out? Then address the individual track by adjusting the volume, eq, whatever.

Which brings up another topic: how to EQ individual tracks. Use a parametric EQ, set the band to boost and sweep through with the frequency knob. Where it sounds the most wrong, there's where to cut instead of boost.

Bottom line: a decently mixed song has not much to gain from matching its spectrum with another.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

void
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am Just a word of caution about driving with windows down and some potential risk for hearing damage.

https://blog.swedish.org/swedish-blog/h ... ty-or-myth
The horses mouth:
researchers wrote:Although average levels were noted to be above the 85 dB criterion level legislated by some organizations, the length and frequency of most car journeys with the convertible roof lowered is unlikely to significantly increase the noise exposure risk of most individuals.
Then please also issue words of caution about mixing with headphones, mixing with monitors, or making music in general and the potential dangers for your hearing.

I have often ended a jam session with a lasting beep in my ear, but never a car trip.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

void
Last edited by Synthman2000 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the advice, but what about software to EQ match? ;-)

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 am Headphones the end user controls, tyre noise not and related to speed. Also might be best to focus on actually driving and not killing someone to get your mix right. :roll:
my driver, does the driving
i tend to work in the back seat on journeys, takes my mind off the scary traffic :o

vurt wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:54 pmmy driver, does the driving
i tend to work in the back seat on journeys, takes my mind off the scary traffic :o
I actually have dozens(!) of drivers.

That's what you get when using buses on a regular basis. :hihi:

I know how to mix. In fact, I was using the low volume/pink noise thing thinking I invented it. I know about maintaining healthy ears after destroying them in clubs and wearing headphones while mixing through endless nights. I know how to drive (although not that good LOL). I'm just looking for the software. I have over a hundred songs and need to find a path to completing them. I need to cut out some of the duties of music production.

Try the plugins from https://www.masteringthemix.com/ (Bassroom and Mixroom should be sufficient).

Although skeptical when it comes to such solutions, they got a no-snake-oil judgement from Whiteseastudios:

1) Bassroom review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxP2Pj7lfw4
2) Mixroom review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtY_B94ekw4

I actually use them to listen what my track should sound like (more or less) and then tweak it accordingly with my own tools, dodging the 'tutor plugs' afterwards. But I think they already sound good/okay with the help of them. And it's a really fast workflow...

Benedict wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:53 am

I know you are probably saying, "oh but that is moneys and i don't have da moneys..." This is an investment in yourself. If you want the pretty girl (boy/goat - not judgy) to notice you, a nice and clean shirt goes a long way.
:-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tommyzai wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:22 pm I know how to mix. In fact, I was using the low volume/pink noise thing thinking I invented it. I know about maintaining healthy ears after destroying them in clubs and wearing headphones while mixing through endless nights. I know how to drive (although not that good LOL). I'm just looking for the software. I have over a hundred songs and need to find a path to completing them. I need to cut out some of the duties of music production.
What about the 3 softwares, I proposed you?

I want to create a good (90%) mix quickly to distribute for opinion, etc., then send out the best tracks for pro mixing/mastering. I do not want to spend my time noodling and tinkering with the nuances of mixing . . . no time and my ears can't handle too much sound (damaged). Also, I use in a classroom setting and need fast results to make a listenable rough mix for students. So, I need some software assistance.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”