2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What’s your initial impression of the membrane buttons? I understand why people might be hesitant to want them and the proof will be in the pudding (i.e., long-term durability), but I suspect that they’re not as bad as people fear.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:49 pm What’s your initial impression of the membrane buttons? I understand why people might be hesitant to want them and the proof will be in the pudding (i.e., long-term durability), but I suspect that they’re not as bad as people fear.
I wouldn’t have gone for that option if I were designing a synth’s controls but I guess they’re just echoing what was on the original Pro-600.

They’re OK and most of the stuff I’m doing is touching the physical rotary controls and switches and I do have the option of mapping my 16n to control parameters via MIDI.

The contact buttons take me back to using my ZX81 as a kid and I adapted to that keyboard pretty quickly. Similar to buttons on the Uno Synth too.
Main thing missing for me is a forward and back thru presets button, would make things quicker to try out.

Edit: Just discovered that the 'Value' knob lets you switch through presets if nothing else is selected.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Guessing this is how vurt plays his theremin anyway
https://youtu.be/eupwp-EPMmo

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:32 am Guessing this is how vurt plays his theremin anyway
:o
im not quite as active. but yeah, that's cool!
added to 2024 list. 8)

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:20 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:32 am Guessing this is how vurt plays his theremin anyway
:o
im not quite as active. but yeah, that's cool!
added to 2024 list. 8)
Holy shit, I'm getting one!

Not a crazy price either… gong on my 2024 list!

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:41 pm I initially thought the mono output would annoy me but chuck it straight into a stereo effects chain and all good.
Arturias Christmas Gift EFX Refract or Acon Digital Multiply works great for some Poly Unison Action ;)

My birthday soon. Wallet is starting to shout.
I am a philistine and I love commercial music <insert favourite consumer items here>

egbert101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:48 am My birthday soon. Wallet is starting to shout.
I can give you my paypal address :hihi:

nvm - wrong thread

Are you safe?

:wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
93B8B086-6E3E-4F3A-A8EA-316ACB7B9680.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I bought a set of foam yoga wedges.

It just so happens that, placed side by side, they have almost exactly the same width and depth as the base of my modular case. There's a pair with an 8 degree slope, a pair with a 16 degree slope, and they can be combined for a 24 degree slope, so I have some options to play with. This should help tilt my case into a more ergonomic position, with the top row leaning toward me and being within easier reach. I tried a few things today that I had on hand which weren't suitable, but as a proof of concept I think it was promising.

(The case is one of these, but in raw unpainted wood, which my wife has done some pyrography on. There's a small angled shelf in front with my 0-Ctrl and Pod 60 on it as well. If I can fix my ergonomics issues but still keep this case, that'll be great.)

I wasn't expecting modular synth yoga. Interesting! :)

I'm looking forward to a photo of the end result.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

cryophonik wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:48 am :wheee: :wheee: :wheee:
93B8B086-6E3E-4F3A-A8EA-316ACB7B9680.jpeg
You have an impressive commitment to hardware. I don't know that I would bother with Pianos in hardware unless they're in something like a rack mount workstation. What's the appeal?

My Mosky Klon arrived this weekend. I'm going to give it a go with my Joyo American and the cabinets in my Bebo. I'm feeling a guitar splurge coming on. I'm having a hard time resisting the JHS Crayon, someone talk me out of it.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesus christ I'm such a consumer. So there I was, minding my own business and looking for just some headphone right angle plugs/jacks so that I could have access to my headphone jacks on my newly racked A&H digital mixer, and I'll be damned if I wasn't sucked into some Amazon consumption trap. I needed more than the $16 for the plug/jacks and so I was looking for eurorack shit, but nothing was same day. Then I noticed, even though you couldn't search for same day, many items were, in fact, same day.

So, I need to get to $25, but I noticed more than a couple of things that were same day and I couldn't resist. Then I bumped into this, WITH A COUPON, and my guitar GAS kicked in like a MOFO, and click, in the cart it went. What can I say, it's a good thing that I had some credit card rewards, which are, by definition, a "reward" for me.

Did I really need same day? Well, no, but I have to work on-site a half day on Wednesday and I hate thinking about whether my shit is going to show up when I'm not there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”