First House/Electronica Mix - MADONNA - would love any advice

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Howdy,

This is my first track and would love any advice for a better mix. Thank you for your time and advice in advanced! Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/dddorisa/madonna

Mix does not sound that bad if this is the first track you have made. Advice I can give is to get neutron and ozone as soon as possible and use it.
Beware, its expensive but it will DRAMASTICLY increase the quality of the audio file.

To be honest, I like the mix and its good for me in my own personal opinion, more needed is a way to make the instruments sound better. As I said: neutron can do that.
For mastering is ozone a very good product. I use both and do not use any other plugins!
I do use vst's for instruments, but on every instrument I use neutron to make it sound better.
There is an option I believe on splice to rent to own neutron and ozone and then its not that expensive but you will be paying of for 1 or 2 years...

To give you a bit of a clue: I bought a bundle of Neutron 3 Advanced en Ozone 9 Advanced for 500€
I admit that if you wait, you can get it in a sale for maybe 50% off, but I could not wait that long.
500€ well spend because I used it in every track I have. Most expensive plugins I bought too.
But, they are worth every cent.

It surely does not sound like a first song. I like it

Dorsia wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:53 am Howdy,

This is my first track and would love any advice for a better mix. Thank you for your time and advice in advanced! Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/dddorisa/madonna
In general it sounds pretty good. You could high-pass filter some more of the low end of your lead which would make the bass more clear and distinct. I think you could high pass filter some of the reverb a bit more.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

If this is your first song, you're quite talented! Well done! I enjoyed it. 8)

I like the sounds and the mix. It is not state of the art. The sounds are not enough distinguished mixing-wise. But for a first track it is quite good. I did my first song with General MIDI Sounds only. :-D

Not bad for a first-timer! But - there's a lot of synths overlapping. iZotope's Unmask would help you there. Mastering the Mix's stunning Bassroom would help you absolutely nail the bottom end on individual tracks and the final mix. iZotope's Ozone/Neutron will help you in so many ways. Wait for a sale. Overall, nearly every instrument is at the same volume level and occupying the same breadth of space in the mix. You'll need to get more clarity by panning instruments slightly left or right, kick and bass in the middle and then using either EQ+Reverb or a psychoacoustic spatializer like eaReckon to place audio left or right AND deeper in the mix (away from the listener). You're doing well though. :)

Hey guys thank you for your critiques! I will check out the izotope stuff and mastering the mix you recommended. Thank you so much! Cheers.

Sorry, but too little arrangement skills, too repetetive and thus fatigueing.
Buy all Sonnox Oxford plugins or Waves Horizon for a cleaner and balanced mix

DCrown,

Could you please elaborate on ways that I can make it less repetitive? This is one of the main challenges I'm facing while creating tracks. Any tutorials would be welcome as well. Thank you for your advice and input

Generally Ok mix, except the low end, particularly the bass needs tightening up try shorter bass sound, or different bass patch.
The outro 6:40 onwards was messy, too many elements competing for same frequencies. Take something out. As you progress on your mixing journey, you will realise "less is more" often.

Thank you for your feedback Bansaw. I feel like I'm slowly drifting towards the conclusions towards "less is more" but at the same time find it challenging and find myself sounding "to repetitive" like DCrown. I am trying to find some sort of balance.... or i wish I could just be Gui Boratto and/or Claude Von Stroke maybe sprinkle in a little (or a lot...) of trentemoller. :)

Thanks guys, appreciate all the time and effort. Cheers

Well, electronic music has different demands for arrangement than some other genres and today's music often lacks arrangement skills in general.
Some famous arrangers were Gil Evans (Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Sting, David Bowie etc.) and George Martin (The Beatles). You can also learn from different genres.
Miles Davis and also Prince mentioned the power of silence!
Sometimes only moving the key of the track higher (modulation) e.g. from d to e or by using a diminished chord completely change to some other key or to a bridge (unfortunately you will rarely hear a bridge part nowadays) or from major to minor

Quite a nice track for your first work, certainly better than my first piece.
I noticed you were asking about how to avoid repetition and one good pointer for electronic genres often refenced is to change something every 8,16,32 bars etc. Add extra weight to the changes every 16 and 32. The changes can be subtle also over the course of a loop to add interest (eg. Modulation of a lead sound) over the course of a 8 or 16 bar loop. I would suggest start by trying to add/remove or change something at these points (8,16 etc). Sometimes it can be something as simple as taking something out or changing the sound of a lead melody and this will be down to your own personal taste. You want people to not feel like they are listening to the same loop and I find the human ear is quite good at noticing subtle changes.

Hope this helps 👍

Return to “Music Cafe”