Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Calagan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 am https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... f481a13540
And here is the ID code for the suggestion : L12-SUG-0184
You can also sort the suggestions by the most reported, and check the 11th one...
Checked, it works, supported! 90 votes

sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:17 am I just recently came across Audiothing plugins. Bought a bunch of them... all in bundles etc... but they all offer to install in CLAP format. There is no need for me to do it right now, but it would be nice in the future
Same. I bought some AudioThing bundles a couple years back and also installed their CLAP versions anyway. Since I already knew I would start switching over to the CLAP format, as soon as my DAW allowed me to. And now, it finally does (since I'm an FL Studio user). Hope for the same, for all users of other DAWs also, before too long.

Likewise, for all third-party plugins. I will switch to the CLAP versions thereof, as and when each developer releases them. Even at this early stage, my new test projects are already using a high ratio of CLAP formats, since I own all u-he and FabFilter plugins ... which comprise many of my standard "go to" plugins for most projects.

It would only take just a few more developers to update all their plugin bundles to CLAP and most of my new projects will likely be majority CLAP-based already. Which, is a great start for this open standard, in my opinion.

Can't wait to see more DAWs implementing CLAP support, but if we really want to see more developers adopting CLAP, JUCE needs to offer it directly without going through the (amazing) clap-juce-extension.

Support for CLAP is the most voted feature request on the JUCE forum (link), but apparently, they are more interested in WebView stuff... :shrug:
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm Can't wait to see more DAWs implementing CLAP support,
Once Live does it, more will follow. I'm crossing my fingers
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

CLAP can only ever be judged to be a success when it is adopted by wise internet sage jimcat.

sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:50 pm
audiothing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm Can't wait to see more DAWs implementing CLAP support,
Once Live does it, more will follow. I'm crossing my fingers
The other way around is also true, if Studio One, sonar, Reason and DP adopt CLAP then Ableton will follow. Especially Studio One since it’s probably the sixth most popular DAW.

I'll eat my hat if Reason is among the first to adopt CLAP. And I'm someone that likes and uses Reason. It would be awesome but "Reason Studios" does things the "Reason Studios" way.

Presonus S1 could be the 5th most popular, based on Thomann's data.
https://www.thomann.de/es/cat_rank.html ... 66&gk=SWSQ

wikter wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 am Presonus S1 could be the 5th most popular, based on Thomann's data.
Yeah, it's either Studio One or Cubase for sure. Kind of a pissing contest, but in the end it doesn't matter, the point is Live and Studio One are the two most popular DAWs besides FL Studio and Reaper to use VST and AU, to be open to new formats, They're the most likely to turn the tide on CLAP because of that. My DAW Digital Performer is niche like Bitwig is, so it's not likely to have much of an impact.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:14 am
wikter wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:52 am Presonus S1 could be the 5th most popular, based on Thomann's data.
Yeah, it's either Studio One or Cubase for sure. Kind of a pissing contest, but in the end it doesn't matter, the point is Live and Studio One are the two most popular DAWs besides FL Studio and Reaper to use VST and AU, to be open to new formats, They're the most likely to turn the tide on CLAP because of that. My DAW Digital Performer is niche like Bitwig is, so it's not likely to have much of an impact.
Mark my words. They will all support CLAP in due course.

It's just a matter of time...

audiothing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm Support for CLAP is the most voted feature request on the JUCE forum (link), but apparently, they are more interested in WebView stuff... :shrug:
JUCE-support would be a BIG boost. If all plugin and host developers that use JUCE just had to tick another checkbox in the Projucer or add a line to some CMake file to support CLAP, there would be an avalanche of CLAP plugins. Maybe that would have even more impact than any single DAW.

WebView stuff....yeah...well...meh.....I couldn't care less about this (I use JUCE myself), but I guess, I'm not representative

It took quite a long while for them to support LV2 as well - but finally, they did - so I remain hopeful. I find this reluctance towards liberally licensed, open source audio plugin formats (while at the same time supporting a single-DAW, closed-source, walled-garden, get-vetted-to-even-get-the-SDK format like AAX since ever) a rather strange prioritization when I assume that they are generally open source proponents.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Music Engineer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 am
audiothing wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:45 pm Support for CLAP is the most voted feature request on the JUCE forum (link), but apparently, they are more interested in WebView stuff... :shrug:
JUCE-support would be a BIG boost. If all plugin and host developers that use JUCE just had to tick another checkbox in the Projucer or add a line to some CMake file to support CLAP, there would be an avalanche of CLAP plugins. Maybe that would have even more impact than any single DAW.

WebView stuff....yeah...well...meh.....I couldn't care less about this (I use JUCE myself), but I guess, I'm not representative

It took quite a long while for them to support LV2 as well - but finally, they did - so I remain hopeful. I find this reluctance towards liberally licensed, open source audio plugin formats (while at the same time supporting a single-DAW, closed-source, walled-garden, get-vetted-to-even-get-the-SDK format like AAX since ever) a rather strange prioritization when I assume that they are generally open source proponents.
Aren't JUCE owned by PACE/iLok now?

Then in which case, it wouldn't surprise me at all if PACE wanted to drag their heels over support for a "liberally licensed, open source audio plugin format". Given that their own iLok DRM is one of the most draconian and archaic protection systems around.

I will always remain super-suspicious of the reasoning behind PACE's decision to acquire JUCE.

MrJubbly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 pm Aren't JUCE owned by PACE/iLok now?

Then in which case, it wouldn't surprise me at all if PACE wanted to drag their heels over support for a "liberally licensed, open source audio plugin format". Given that their own iLok DRM is one of the most draconian and archaic protection systems around.

I will always remain super-suspicious of the reasoning behind PACE's decision to acquire JUCE.
Why? CLAP plugins can easily be licensed via iLok today. None are yet. But there's nothing preventing it.

MrJubbly wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 pm
Aren't JUCE owned by PACE/iLok now?
Yes - indeed: https://forum.juce.com/t/did-pace-buy-t ... form/38813
Then in which case, it wouldn't surprise me at all if PACE wanted to drag their heels over support for a "liberally licensed, open source audio plugin format". Given that their own iLok DRM is one of the most draconian and archaic protection systems around. I will always remain super-suspicious of the reasoning behind PACE's decision to acquire JUCE.
Hmm...I don't know, if that has anything to do with it. I somehow don't see how JUCE or PACE would benefit from keeping the audio software development ecosystem proprietary in the hands of other companies. If PACE would also own Steinberg or AVID (or the other way around - or some bigger entity owns both) - then it would make sense. But if PACE is independent of the proprietors of VST, AAX, etc. then it seems to me that their business interests would be more aligned with having the targeted plugin formats open.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Has anyone apart from Urs had a legal response about this? This seems somewhat foolish to push from Steinberg's side (it will p*ss off a lot of users and other DAW/plug-in companies if implemented) and we have only one actual legal response (and we all know what lawyers are like - 2 in a room and you'll get 3 interpretations :-)).

Return to “Effects”