The guitar apocalypse is real

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The subject of the video is used guitars. Sam Ash was never much of a used dealer. So I guess that makes it a retail apocalypse issue.

As goes the used market so goes the moderately priced market.

I saw a moderately priced box that I'm in love with and used to own that I had to sell during a moment of economic crisis.
That guitar has a good offering price, is well cared for and is going nowhere on reverb. If I had the money I'd buy it again.

General retail (excluding music instruments and peripherals) is just fine. I work across from a Costco in suburbia and that place is jam packed every day except holidays. Menards, Meijer, Walmart, Best Buy are also pretty active. Contrary to beliefs of many the economy is fine. People have spendable money. They aren't spending that money on guitars.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:47 pm General retail (excluding music instruments and peripherals) is just fine. I work across from a Costco in suburbia and that place is jam packed every day except holidays. Menards, Meijer, Walmart, Best Buy are also pretty active. Contrary to beliefs of many the economy is fine. People have spendable money. They aren't spending that money on guitars.
Conventional wisdom says that when people don't have money to buy houses and boats, they buy guitars. What do they do when they don't have money to buy guitars? Costco.

general retail, as the name suggests, has a wider demographic.
music shops are moving online for the most part, as are most niche markets.
online and trade shows.

I send my minions to costco for my guitars,
also mayonaise, and i like the big bag of
ultimate fishsticks they carry. Never bought
a good guitar there tho :tu:

What's costco 'muricans?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:34 pm What's costco 'muricans?
like a cross between a warehouse and a supermarket.

Very good explanation of Costco there :tu:
Honestly, i never bought a guitar there, i
believe you can tho, maybe a yamaha or
that first act brand or whatever. They
do sell odd stuff there, my buddy bought
a dodge pickup there one time. :shrug:

vurt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 pm
So... like... they have guitars and screws and shampoo and avocados? :o

(Oh, scratch the last bit - I forgot that you can't buy fresh fruit&vegetables in 'murican stores... )
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

pekbro wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:46 pm Very good explanation of Costco there :tu:
:lol: as far as i know, here (we have them too) they just do supermarket stock, but in bulk.
never been personally, as you need a card, and being single, i dont need 144 toilet rolls at once :lol:

jens wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:50 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:35 pm
So... like... they have guitars and screws and shampoo and avocados? :o
tbf, most supermarkets here will have a small diy section to buy basic tools and screws/nails.

but no, its bulk buy, catering type sizes. on everything!

vurt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:46 pm Very good explanation of Costco there :tu:
:lol: as far as i know, here (we have them too) they just do supermarket stock, but in bulk.
never been personally, as you need a card, and being single, i dont need 144 toilet rolls at once :lol:
Ah, so it's a... dunno how's that called... ? In Germany we have that too... some kind of super-retailer where normally only people who run a business can purchase stuff and they have a lot of... odd stuff, but it's a bit... irregular? (i.e. seems rather random at times)

jens wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:55 pm
vurt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:51 pm
Ah, so it's a... dunno how's that called... ? In Germany we have that too... some kind of super-retailer where normally only people who run a business can purchase stuff and they have a lot of... odd stuff, but it's a bit... irregular? (i.e. seems rather random at times)
yeah, but costco allow "members" to shop there too, you pay a membership fee for a card that allows you to shop, so you can feel all exclusive.

I dont have a card, i just know many who do. At least 3 or 4 people who go once a week,
i just have them grab me whatever.

I dont shop enough to justify the expense
of the card. Its not only business sales, but
the do prioritize them, they get to go in
before non-commercial members.

vurt wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:57 pm
yeah, but costco allow "members" to shop there too, you pay a membership fee for a card that allows you to shop, so you can feel all exclusive.

I see... interesting - and that... like... works?

Return to “Guitars”