not the place

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by jancivil on Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'5 of 5'? Is it the Borg? :o

Anyways, sounding good as ever.... except I would love to hear some more , err, 'ooomph' on that kick drum there. The drum programming is excellent (in a kind of modern metel stylee, which is not easy..), and I like the snare (unusually since I'm not generally a fan of tuned up ringy ones) but the kick drum seems to be rather too thin to me? Dunno if it's deliberate to place it in the 'soundstage' etc or something?

Disclaimer - I have been working on something with a f**king hewge kick drum in a poor man's Bonham ripoff, augmented by an 808, for the last few days, so my perception may be somewhat skewed... :hihi:

Ok, thanks. I'll keep that in mind as I get into a "final mix". Aesthetically speaking I wasn't that much in mind of convention (is it metal? Who knew); in my phones there's enough kick but it might benefit from more. At this point those parts were rendered some time ago, using offline rendering of regions which I'm loathe to redo, numerous things were done to enhance it and make it 'snap'.

I'm a little bit skeptical of the sort of unchanging rim shot tone of the snare. It, btw is "Ludwig Black Beauty" but it seems higher pitched than I remember from last outing. I personally have come to desire 'ringy' in many cases, it has a lot of impact. Here I'm married to it, because of my time being finite.

I did spend a fair amount of time constructing the drum part (and to "production") in those two sections. Not all of it is construction, the first gestures, the half-open etc hihat 'solos' are performed. For the one section where the low brass is the thing I think it's a very apt part, thanks for recognizing.

It's not entirely 'unchanging', actually. "Rimshot" has a lot of velocity layers, comparatively.

John Bonham is not emulatable by me, anyway, should I ever go for that I'm likely to fall awkwardly.
I was actually wanting a tight 'funk' kick here. I don't tend to go for huge kick or bottom (cue Spinal Tap reference).

were I to call something Seven of Nine, now, it might be more top-heavy...

Ok, having focused on Kick Drum I quickly agreed it's lacking oomph.
I had cleared plenty of sonic space in the middle for it; the low brass competes with it in frequency but pretty far to the right of the stage. Fortunately I've an EQ for it same throughout the drum kit track, fine enough so I can boost it w.out boosting the mid tom right next to it freq-wise. So thanks for that. I've been at this one since January so objectivity is hard to come by.

Same file, replaced via update at dropbox.

The end comes a bit surprising to me. But nevertheless I enjoyed the listen. Nice track.

This piece sounds very organic. It sounds like you put a lot of work into that, and it was largely successful. But the rapid, mechanical kick drum in places works against it. Some ebb and flow to the velocity/timing would fix that.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

horseshit

Return to “Music Cafe”