Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amigo Sampler

what about questions about amiga sound fidelity:
-the cheap sound card of the time and its converters
-other origins of the samples.
-what audio software at the time, many trackers
-nostalgia of listening to video game music on the CRT screen speakers.
- breakbeat jungle vinyl production.
-also the many nostalgia biases, misleading memories, for example the confusion of sampling on an Akai or MPC or SP1200 sampler.
peace and love for all.

True. All I know is this gives a good lofi sound without the messy bit crusher effect of other software samplers. S612 and EMAX didn’t sound messy at 12-bit.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm True. All I know is this gives a good lofi sound without the messy bit crusher effect of other software samplers. S612 and EMAX didn’t sound messy at 12-bit.
What do you mean by 'messy'?

if anyone is looking for the supportmail

help@potenzadsp.com
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:17 pm
Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:50 pm True. All I know is this gives a good lofi sound without the messy bit crusher effect of other software samplers. S612 and EMAX didn’t sound messy at 12-bit.
It just has a sound "out of the box" so to speak.

Other bit crushers/reducers tend to be a bit fiddly/messy and you can end up in a kind of no man's land.

This is more singular in vision. You can't really make this sound pristine.

kraster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:17 pm
It just has a sound "out of the box" so to speak.

Other bit crushers/reducers tend to be a bit fiddly/messy and you can end up in a kind of no man's land.

This is more singular in vision. You can't really make this sound pristine.
It's 8 bit samplers and bitcrusher plugins at 8 bit that I'd describe as 'messy'. Compared to those I'd describe 12 bit samplers and also bitcrusher plugins at 12 bit 'tidy'. When replicating the sound of 12 and 16 bit samplers I usually come quite close with an advanced bitcrusher plugin like Decimort 2. It's the noisy/grimy sound of 8 bit samplers (like the Yamaha DJX that I had) that I find rather difficult to replicate. Just out of curiosity I'd like to hear Amigo vs TAL sampler vs a real Amiga.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:02 pm It's 8 bit samplers and bitcrushers plugins at 8 bit that I'd describe as 'messy'. Compared to those I'd describe 12 bit samplers and also bitcrushers plugins at 12 bit 'tidy'. When replicating the sound of 12 and 16 bit samplers I usually come quite close with an advanced bitcrusher plugin like Decimort 2. It's the noisy/grimy sound of 8 bit samplers (like the Yamaha DJX that I had) that I find rather difficult to replicate. Just out of curiosity I'd like to hear Amigo vs TAL sampler vs a real Amiga.
It's the filter and linear interpolation. The filter sounds like it's quite steep, basically cutting off everything at 11KHz with no gradual rolloff. Turn the interpolation off and it's more of the sound I associate with bit crusher plugins.

AFAIK, TAL-Sampler doesn't have a steep filter that can do that. Obviously, TAL-Sampler isn't going for that sound and the emulations it does do are excellent, but it's a different sound from Amigo.

It's a $13 plugin. It's literally cheaper than a Big Mac Meal at your local McDonald's

For $13 it's a fun little plugin, that sounds unique

Uncle E wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:15 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:02 pm It's 8 bit samplers and bitcrushers plugins at 8 bit that I'd describe as 'messy'. Compared to those I'd describe 12 bit samplers and also bitcrushers plugins at 12 bit 'tidy'. When replicating the sound of 12 and 16 bit samplers I usually come quite close with an advanced bitcrusher plugin like Decimort 2. It's the noisy/grimy sound of 8 bit samplers (like the Yamaha DJX that I had) that I find rather difficult to replicate. Just out of curiosity I'd like to hear Amigo vs TAL sampler vs a real Amiga.
It's the filter and linear interpolation. The filter sounds like it's quite steep, basically cutting off everything at 11KHz with no gradual rolloff. Turn the interpolation off and it's more of the sound I associate with bit crusher plugins.

AFAIK, TAL-Sampler doesn't have a steep filter that can do that. Obviously, TAL-Sampler isn't going for that sound and the emulations it does do are excellent, but it's a different sound from Amigo.
TAL Sampler does have ADC and DAC filters, but perhaps not as steep as Amigo's.

Pre and post filters indeed have a major impact on the sound. For example Decimort 2 and Bite are very similar bitcrusher plugins, but they sound different because of the filters.

IvyBirds wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm It's a $13 plugin. It's literally cheaper than a Big Mac Meal at your local McDonald's

For $13 it's a fun little plugin, that sounds unique
Nice price. Still I'd like to demo it first.

bmanic wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 am I can not recommend it at the moment. It's way too dodgy as it is right now. Go with the free option mentioned earlier in this thread if you want the amiga type sound.
Harsh! How is this dodgy? You are punishing this guy by calling his business "dodgy" when the reality is he's running a one-man-gig to sell a very nice product at a very affordable price. So the website is minimal, who gives a sh** ? So the payment is processed by an external processor -- you know, like every other plugin store selling stuff in the universe. What the hell is 'dodgy' about any of this?

Support small devs. Especially when the products are made with passion, love for the source material, and affordable!

Instead, you come in here and discourage people from buying this because, even though YOU did, it's "dodgy" because it's not immediately obvious how to contact the dev? Meanwhile, the plugin works perfectly, payment is smooth, file download is immediate, there's no actual issues... ? What the hell...

the guys seem pretty responsive, so yeah feel free to write them. afaik they will update it and as i said before for this money it is a very nice tool so far and i love the sound already. anyone sceptical should wait for Plogue, but afaik it will be 1-2 years i guess to wait for a complex and more accurate plugin.

just keep in mind that the plugin doesnt give you infos about your sample locations, but i hope this gets patched in soon.

oh and the best no F**CKING online activation crap!
these guys deserve the support!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

mholloway wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:43 pm the plugin works perfectly
tbf, this isn't true. But I don't mind the problems and have gotten more than my money's worth.

Wow. I had no idea plogue was working on one. I have mad respect for those guys. Can’t wait.

mholloway wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:43 pm
bmanic wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 am I can not recommend it at the moment. It's way too dodgy as it is right now. Go with the free option mentioned earlier in this thread if you want the amiga type sound.
Harsh! How is this dodgy? You are punishing this guy by calling his business "dodgy" when the reality is he's running a one-man-gig to sell a very nice product at a very affordable price. So the website is minimal, who gives a sh** ? So the payment is processed by an external processor -- you know, like every other plugin store selling stuff in the universe. What the hell is 'dodgy' about any of this?

Support small devs. Especially when the products are made with passion, love for the source material, and affordable!

Instead, you come in here and discourage people from buying this because, even though YOU did, it's "dodgy" because it's not immediately obvious how to contact the dev? Meanwhile, the plugin works perfectly, payment is smooth, file download is immediate, there's no actual issues... ? What the hell...
In fairness, I think that the "dodgy" was in reference to the issues bmanic was having as opposed to being "shady" because of the website.

But I agree with everything else.

One thing that I would say is that from the presentation and marketing these guys know their market and have a passion for the genre (or sub genre).

I think Amigo hits all the right buttons in being a lofi sampler in a very specific niche.

I used to use the sample playback section on Music-X on the A500 which was controlled by midi notes. I also used to use the tracker, Octamed.

This plugin really reminds me of those days! I think they really nailed that vibe.

Return to “Instruments”