Softube Model 80...wish they would add a Prophet 10 mode

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmm....
Whilst i do have an OB (GForce OB-X) that I like a lot (that gui though.. sigh)... and a Jupiter 8 (Tal that I absolutely love).
I can't help but wonder what Softube emulations of these two would be like, or at least an OB-8 instead of the OB-X.

And like a few others, I wouldn't object to a CS-80.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 pm I can't help but wonder what Softube emulations of these two would be like, or at least an OB-8 instead of the OB-X.
If that's the case (OB-X or OB-8), then that's a must buy for me...

I got so used to extras like turning off the chorus hiss that I found the Model 84 a little too authentic, heh. Sticking with the Roland ACB models.

However I would absolutely buy a Model 85 JX-8P. Roland don't seem to want to make a good one.

I love the Juno chorus and the hiss in the Softube version. Makes it sound "right".

One thing I can't get over with the Softube emulations is how they don't have an FX (except the aforementioned Juno). You're an FX company! Add an FX rack to these plugins. Would be great to have the Juno chorus, Tape delay, and Wasted Space built into all of these.

Frankly, I'm one of those which don't need any FX on soft synths. The only thing they do really is that they could get embedded with the synth's preset, and, even then, it's a disadvantage, if you can't change the order of the FX in the synth, as is the case on many synths. Not to talk about the usual quality of onboard FX.

I see only disadvantages, and very little actual advantages of onboard FX.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 pm Frankly, I'm one of those which don't need any FX on soft synths. The only thing they do really is that they could get embedded with the synth's preset, and, even then, it's a disadvantage, if you can't change the order of the FX in the synth, as is the case on many synths. Not to talk about the usual quality of onboard FX.

I understand why you feel that way, but If I had to guess, you'd be in the big minority there. Hence why just about every major softsynth has FX. The only synths I can think of that I own with no FX (outside of vintage hardware) are the Softube stuff and OB-Xd. Every other one I can think of comes with a complement of FX. There's a reason. From a sound-design and preset perspective, they're incredibly useful. It's also nice having some context for the presets I create. Example: hey, I made this incredibly awesome pad+delay+verb combo, but I can't save the whole FX Chain within the single plugin because the delay and verb are third-party plugins and this plugin has no FX. It's inconvenient.

Even if the FX aren't amazing, they can easily be replaced with third-party stuff so you don't lose anything by having them. Quite a few companies even have a lockable master FX power button, which is the best way to implement them. But not having any at all is like cooking without salt.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 pm Frankly, I'm one of those which don't need any FX on soft synths. The only thing they do really is that they could get embedded with the synth's preset, and, even then, it's a disadvantage, if you can't change the order of the FX in the synth, as is the case on many synths. Not to talk about the usual quality of onboard FX.

I understand why you feel that way, but If I had to guess, you'd be in the big minority there. Hence why just about every major softsynth has FX.
I would say it's more of a marketing gimmick, feature quantity, which makes the synth sell better.

"Woot, no FX in 2024? You kidding me???"

Well, the problem is just that 99% of synths don't have anything comparable to good outboard FX. And, that most soft synths won't even let you choose the FX order of the onboard FX, or has only a few of them.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 pm Even if the FX aren't amazing, they can easily be replaced with third-party stuff so you don't lose anything by having them.
You don't gain anything by having them either. Better use some quality external FX, which can even be routed in the DAW in a more flexible way.

Even with Spire, which has some of the finest onboard FX I ever heard, I rarely use them. If anything, I use the shaper, phaser or the chorus, but, for the rest, I simply have better options.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hard disagree. On all counts. You do you though!

Well, you said yourself that practically the only advantage is for sound design, or to have a tone generator + FX chain to save. And, I agree with that. ;)

I'm definitely grateful for good effects on synths. Minifreak and Massive X in particular have excellent effects that enhance the sound design. That said, I'm not particularly bothered about the lack of them on Softube synths.

I have to admit I think a big part of why I love the softube stuff is they have no FX.
Another reason, I tihnk when I play them I get whole help of nostalgia from playing the hardware.
Now if I want efx on a track I just add external effects.
Plus when a synth has internal hardware, sometimes the sound designers go overboard with those effects.

Case in point, I think part of the reason why I prefer Model 80 over Repro-5 is that it just sounds 'Raw' because of the no effects.
I just love it.
rsp
sound sculptist

Actually one of my favourite (if not my favourite) analog emulation synth, though having some effects does not have a Reverb for this very reason...

He actually added Reverb in an upgrade to one of his older synths and yep... every sound bank since then that I have bought has Reverb even on Bass Presets...

Plus I tend to always like dryer mixes.
rsp
sound sculptist

I would like to see GForce or Softube make the CS-80
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 11 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 13 / VEP7 / 24 ch X-Touch / Console 1 /Metagrid Pro / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 / Roli Seabord

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 pm I understand why you feel that way, but If I had to guess, you'd be in the big minority there. Hence why just about every major softsynth has FX.
In 2024 software and hardware synths have built in effects because when the announcement and the press release goes out they will include sound demos of presets on YouTube and/or Sound Cloud and want to say that everything is from the instrument. If they didn't have effects and did those dry people would say the synth sucks. Or say the only reason it sounds good is because of the external effects used

Then the usual suspects on YouTube will make even more demos using the onboard effects for the same reasons

Vintage instruments didn't have effects, the Prophet 5 most certainly didn't

The KVR nerd patrol is out in full effect today. I get it. You all have giant schlongs that are big enough to match the size of your massive, expertly-curated plugin collections. And you're real mean who don't need built-in FX. Heck, why even have presets at all? I'm sure you roll your own from scratch every time! Carrying those virtual vintage synths to gigs, walking uphill the whole way! And back! You're all alphas and I'm just a beta-cuck-soyboy for liking biult-in FX and presets.

I even have a hardware Prophet-10 that I run through a hardware FX chain. I'm so shameful. :cry:

:wink: :P

Return to “Instruments”