Softube Model 80...wish they would add a Prophet 10 mode

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 pm Frankly, I'm one of those which don't need any FX on soft synths. The only thing they do really is that they could get embedded with the synth's preset, and, even then, it's a disadvantage, if you can't change the order of the FX in the synth, as is the case on many synths. Not to talk about the usual quality of onboard FX.

I see only disadvantages, and very little actual advantages of onboard FX.
That's complete BS, and you've been proven wrong before.

1) Many companies, such as N.I and u-he, who produce both exceptional effects and synthesizers, incorporate versions of their effects into their synths. Take, for example, Repro, which boasts fantastic effects. Some of these effects are so outstanding that they've even inspired standalone versions like Colour Copy. It's highly unlikely that N.I developed all the effects in Massive X from scratch; they likely utilized some of their already stellar effects.

2) Repro 5 and other synths feature polyphonic distortion, a quality that external effects simply can't replicate. Monophonic distortion often falls short in comparison, especially in many cases.

3) The ability to route envelopes and LFOs to the effects is another significant advantage of using internal effects. Many standalone effects lack these features altogether, and even if they do include them, they're often not as advanced. While some, like FabFilter, offer these functionalities, many others do not. Additionally, most external effects aren't synced to MIDI events at all, a feature I sometimes find crucial for synthesizer sounds.

4) It's far more convenient to handle everything within a single plugin (synth) rather than juggling multiple plugins.

5) Incorporating effects within presets, as previously mentioned, provides an excellent additional benefit.

While it's true that internal effects can sometimes serve as a marketing gimmick, this shouldn't overshadow the fact that end users can still access amazing effects that genuinely enhance the possibilities for synth sound design.

nirm123 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm That's complete BS, and you've been proven wrong before.

1) Many companies, such as N.I and u-he, who produce both exceptional effects and synthesizers, incorporate versions of their effects into their synths. Take, for example, Repro, which boasts fantastic effects. Some of these effects are so outstanding that they've even inspired standalone versions like Colour Copy. It's highly unlikely that N.I developed all the effects in Massive X from scratch; they likely utilized some of their already stellar effects.
You're a funny guy, claiming others write BS, and then you pull stuff out of your ass.

1. "Inspired by" isn't "same as". "It's highly unlikely" isn't "There's proof that it's the same as their outboard FX".

Actually, I'm 100% sure that none of Massive X' effects are available externally, as they sound different than NI's other FX.

2. Naming 2 examples is, well, bullshit, as there's a gazillion of plugins out there, and, yes, many of them sport pretty bad to mediocre FX, which aren't at all par with what's available as external FX out there.

3. I would really refrain from calling other's opinion "bullshit". It neither makes your point bigger than it is, nor is it a very nice way to hold a discussion. "Bullshit this, bullshit that". Yeah, FU, thanks.

Take an example from Funkybot's Evil Twin. That's how you discuss on a discussion forum, not get butthurt, and call other's opinions bullshit. Really tired of dipshits like you.

And, BTW, I know that it will butthurt you even more, but, u-he's FX are above average, at best. There is much better stuff out there.

There, you have it. An opinion. OMG.

They make good synths though, if that lightens your day a little.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:50 pm I love the Juno chorus and the hiss in the Softube version. Makes it sound "right".

One thing I can't get over with the Softube emulations is how they don't have an FX (except the aforementioned Juno). You're an FX company! Add an FX rack to these plugins. Would be great to have the Juno chorus, Tape delay, and Wasted Space built into all of these.
They have that functionality reserved for Amp Room specifically (Model 84 chorus, Model 72 filter, tape delay, wasted space, etc - all in amp room). I wish they did have a dedicated FX rack plugin though.
https://wayford.gumroad.com/

Amethyst for ANA 2, WPC for Logic Pro coming soon.

Gam456 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:06 am
abernathy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 pm I appreciate that they kept Model 80 pretty strictly authentic, but they could really take it to another level (and keep it authentic) by adding a Prophet 10 mode, with the added polyphony and splits/layers. I'd pay a hefty upgrade fee for this!

I've created a Track Stack in Logic as a workaround. Sounds so beautiful stacking 2 Model 80s.
I already send a request a year ago, but as you can see still nothing.
I asked them to consider an option for last note priority, but no luck.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 pm Frankly, I'm one of those which don't need any FX on soft synths. The only thing they do really is that they could get embedded with the synth's preset, and, even then, it's a disadvantage, if you can't change the order of the FX in the synth, as is the case on many synths. Not to talk about the usual quality of onboard FX.

I see only disadvantages, and very little actual advantages of onboard FX.
It depends on the synth. If the quality is good and you can modulate the internal effects, then the advantage is significant. An external effects unit won't allow you to modulate with the synth's mod matrix.

That been said. A Prophet 5 vsti should not have any effect on board.

chk071 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:05 pm And, BTW, I know that it will butthurt you even more, but, u-he's FX are above average, at best. There is much better stuff out there.

There, you have it. An opinion. OMG.

They make good synths though, if that lightens your day a little.
nah...BS is still BS, even if you mumble it for 5 years.

Gam456 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:56 pm That been said. A Prophet 5 vsti should not have any effect on board.
No emulation of vintage Synths should have effects on board unless they were on the original like the Juno Chorus

Especially as those effects never sound like the effects did when they came out

The thing I like about no fx is the presets have to stand on their own. With synths with effects there’s often a slew of presets that sound nothing like the original synth, presets that are drowning in reverb, and presets that are more about the effects programming than the raw sound. I know this is fine for some of you, but not what I like.

Yeah i like synths without FX too. Also for the simple fact that i like to use the same reverb on all instruments.

nirm123 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm
While it's true that internal effects can sometimes serve as a marketing gimmick, this shouldn't overshadow the fact that end users can still access amazing effects that genuinely enhance the possibilities for synth sound design.
Onboard effects can work in certain plugins where from the beginning the effects were always going to be part of the sound design

For example Omnisphere

For others like the Prophet 5 plugins that are emulating hardware, hardware that didn't have effects they all just seem like afterthoughts bolted on at the end, and if you are just going to bolt something on at the end it's pointless as there will always be far better options available.

I could however get totally behind say a Prophet 5 plugin that had bolted onto it a very accurate emulation of something's like an EMT-250 reverb which would be period, but if all they are doing is bolting on modern sounding effects, why bother?

For me something like the Model 80, replaces the need or desire to have a real vintage Prophet 5 in my studio space. If I had a real vintage Rev 3 Prophet 5 from 1980 in my studio it wouldn't have built in effects

Alert the synth makers: stop adding FX to your emulations. KVR has spoken! You're all doing it wrong. Except Softube. And DiscoDSP with OB-Xd.

IvyBirds wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:20 pm Onboard effects can work in certain plugins where from the beginning the effects were always going to be part of the sound design

For example Omnisphere

For others like the Prophet 5 plugins that are emulating hardware, hardware that didn't have effects they all just seem like afterthoughts bolted on at the end, and if you are just going to bolt something on at the end it's pointless as there will always be far better options available.
In all seriousness, if you have FX, then those FX can be part of the sound design from the get-go. Users can always turn off FX and try one of their "better" third party effects if the on-board FX aren't your speed. But baking FX into sound design isn't limited to just new, modern synths. That's a hang-up and limitation you're imposing based on "well it's an emulation of a Prophet". Ok, but in the 70's and 80's, people were running Prophet's through the FX available to them. And there's no hard and fast rule (except in this thread apparently) that you have to slavishly emulate all the limitations of the originals.

There's a reason ALMOST EVERY emulation has included FX. And there's also a reason they have an off button. No one's forcing you to use them.

So if someone wants built-in effects they can use u-he, Arturia, etc etc. If they don't they can use Softube. Nice we can all have what we want!

abernathy wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 pm So if someone wants built-in effects they can use u-he, Arturia, etc etc. If they don't they can use Softube. Nice we can all have what we want!
Or the latter person can use the U-he and Arturia and turn the FX off.

Return to “Instruments”