What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's it for? What sort of music do you make?

Can't really make any suggestions without knowing this.

syntonica wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:23 pm
Gam456 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:00 pm
syntonica wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:19 pm Second on Elektra and Icarus. I think Markus also offers one of the best copy protection schemes out there.

I also like Hive and Rapid. You might take a gander at Zebra Legacy with its crapton of presets to see if you like the sound.

While I do like the overall sound of Omni, I find 99,9% of the presets to be unusable garbage and the interface too stifling to make my own. If you're a preset pack user, then this may not bother you.
Only 10 of 10.000 !!!
It a no sense to say that.
Nope. That's about right for me. :lol:
You want me believe
You spent more than a month playing over 10.000 preset and 4000 sample
and find only 10 valuable.
What a troll :D

Gam456 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:47 pm
syntonica wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:23 pm
Gam456 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:00 pm
syntonica wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:19 pm Second on Elektra and Icarus. I think Markus also offers one of the best copy protection schemes out there.

I also like Hive and Rapid. You might take a gander at Zebra Legacy with its crapton of presets to see if you like the sound.

While I do like the overall sound of Omni, I find 99,9% of the presets to be unusable garbage and the interface too stifling to make my own. If you're a preset pack user, then this may not bother you.
Only 10 of 10.000 !!!
It a no sense to say that.
Nope. That's about right for me. :lol:
You want me believe
You spent more than a month playing over 10.000 preset and 4000 sample
and find only 10 valuable.
What a troll :D
Oh, I love the samples--there's buckets of goods stuff in there. I could also use my BS2 as a programmer to make "analog" patches. But try to find a decent bass preset? Nope. :dog:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Go to hardware library > synth bass, there is plenty of them imnpired by Juno, Sh-1001, Minautaur etc...

If it's not enough there the Moog library and Trillian
Last edited by Gam456 on Wed May 01, 2024 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

I've seen a few suggestions for Icarus. An older version is available for free with Computer Music magazine

https://www.zinio.com/computer-music/ja ... 24-i619472

You can probably get it with a Readly subscription as well.

Vital, Surge.

kevinsparks wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am I've seen a few suggestions for Icarus. An older version is available for free with Computer Music magazine

I suggest to not acquire any synth from Tone2, They won't release any new product or new version anymore.

Falcon is a rival to Omnisohere but is maybe too complex to use as a workhorse. For me, that honour goes to Phase Plant, Hive2 or Massive X.

I use Falcon and Phase Plant a lot now that I got them. They have a lot of power and the workflow of them hasn't really been that difficult to me. Currently my main synths so I guess those.

I make more unusable sounds than making music though so please help.
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

Yeah I didn't find Falcon particularly hard to adjust to. Maybe some of the hierarchical structure took some getting used to, but it's not that different to other synths. I just feel like if I'm making a BP saw squelch, using Falcon is overkill. It really pushes me to make really ornate layered stuff which is awesome but not always needed. OTOH, Hive is just great for making simpler stuff that still has a lot of interest and nuance and can be used to make really deep textures and pads, etc. It it had FM synthesis I would be content using it for all purposes. At this stage, I use Hive2 to playback wavetables made in whatever other synth and as a basic subtractive work station, Falcon for layered textured stuff, and Phase Plant for hyper modulated weirdness. Massive X does a bit of all of that and I mainly just use that when I feel like something different.

Gam456 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:13 am
kevinsparks wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 am I've seen a few suggestions for Icarus. An older version is available for free with Computer Music magazine

I suggest to not acquire any synth from Tone2, They won't release any new product or new version anymore.
Markus has already started that he will continue to support all of his plugins for bug fixes and maintenance updates. I'm unsure what more features you could did from Icarus or Elektra.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

dont care for 'synths that do it all' really.
Last edited by Nug Wrangler on Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

I’m going to add the Korg Wavestate to the list. It’s been referred to as the “hardware omnisphere”, it has a lot of samples and it’s fun to use. Also the plugin goes on sale for $99 iirc

But if you want Omnisphere it’s probably best to just save and get that.

Gam456 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 pm Honestly I own Avenger, my advice just don't. You will be disappointed
Why?
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Icarus was mentioned. I'd be a bit wary of anything Tone2, as they look very similar to that Behringer synth... :ud:

Return to “Instruments”