How to use a hardware synth with Logic and bluetooth headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm using Bluetooth headphones (yes i know...) and I would like to use Behringer Neutron with Logic Pro on my Mac Mini M1.

As I understand USB will only send MIDI signal, so I would need an additional interface to make the MIDI (from piano roll) to play sound from the synth.

Currently my headphones are paired with my Mac/Logic, and surprisingly there isn't much latency.
So what would be my best options?

I have to use bluetooth due to needing ANC and EQ settings I'm used to.
I've seen people buying some BT dongles and plugging them to audio interface but it will probably worsen latency?

Also is there any cheap interface that would work here?

You can just use a cable from headphone jack on neutron to input on the Mac mini.

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm You can just use a cable from headphone jack on neutron to input on the Mac mini.
Using a cable with my headphones disables ANC, that's the issue. :borg:

isuckatproducing wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:38 pm
roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 pm You can just use a cable from headphone jack on neutron to input on the Mac mini.
What? I'm talking about how to connect neutron to mac.
I would like to use Behringer Neutron with Logic Pro on my Mac Mini M1.

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm
But it has jack output not input (my Mac) so I'm confused how would that work?

isuckatproducing wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:41 pm
It usually has an output and input in one, like if you had a headphone with mic.

roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:42 pm
It usually has an output and input in one, like if you had a headphone with mic.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/111894
It only says headphone jack.

According to ChatGPT:
The headphone jack on the M1 Mac Mini 2020 serves as an audio output port only. It does not support input functionalities like a microphone

get a usb audio interface.
i use focusrite, but most of the available one will work fine, just search on any store, find one that suits your budget, then ask about a specific one, see if it has any major red flags :)

vurt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:55 pm get a usb audio interface.
i use focusrite, but most of the available one will work fine, just search on any store, find one that suits your budget, then ask about a specific one, see if it has any major red flags :)
Yeah just want to make sure if it will work fine if I keep my headphones connected to my Mac via BT or if in this case I would have to connect them to interface? Sorry if silly question but never dealt with it. :party:

isuckatproducing wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:56 pm
Yeah just want to make sure if it will work fine if I keep my headphones connected to my Mac via BT or if in this case I would have to connect them to interface? Sorry if silly question but never dealt with it. :party:
the blue tooth should work ok, but ive never used blue tooth headphones sorry, so cant be 100 certain.

isuckatproducing wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:49 pm
roman.i wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:42 pm
https://support.apple.com/en-us/111894
It only says headphone jack.

According to ChatGPT:
The headphone jack on the M1 Mac Mini 2020 serves as an audio output port only. It does not support input functionalities like a microphone
I believe this is false.
It has always been a TRRS jack. Stereo output and Mono input.
Exactly what you need.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... ortBy=best
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... est&page=1

You can always opt in to an external audio interface, but it just another bulky device that you may not need.

In Ableton you can set an interface as input and headphones as output. Assume Logic is the same. Just make sure you get an interface with enough inputs if you think you might want to work with more synths in the future.

Do you really need ANC? Wired will give better quality and avoid adding more latency.

db3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:24 pm
In Ableton you can set an interface as input and headphones as output. Assume Logic is the same. Just make sure you get an interface with enough inputs if you think you might want to work with more synths in the future.

Do you really need ANC? Wired will give better quality and avoid adding more latency.
I'm in noisy env. so ANC is a must sadly. My Sennheisers M4 had massive latency but Sony XM4's don't. I'm a Sony hater overall but their ANC is unmatched imo. I've EQ'ed them a bit through iPhone and they sound ok now.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”