Bitwig 5.2 BETA : should I see it in my 5.0 sub account ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So far I could update to 5.1.8 with the 5.0 subscription I had. For me, a minor version is a minor version, eg. 5.1 and 5.4 are both minor versions of 5.0. I haven't read the fine print of the subscription - if there's any - so I would assume that since I get 5.1.x while it is expired, it will go on for all minor versions. Will it ?

Thats not how the update plan works. With the version schema z.y.x, you will only get bug fix releases (x) with an expired update plan. So in your case, 5.1.x are what you'll get for free.

Also, if a beta has been announced while your update plan is active, you will get it. 5.2 will be released somewhere in the summer, and everyone who had an active update plan while 5.2 was announced will get it. But I don't think they will get any big fix releases 5.2.x after that without an active update plan, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

muzicxs wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 pm Thats not how the update plan works. With the version schema z.y.x, you will only get bug fix releases (x) with an expired update plan. So in your case, 5.1.x are what you'll get for free.

Also, if a beta has been announced while your update plan is active, you will get it. 5.2 will be released somewhere in the summer, and everyone who had an active update plan while 5.2 was announced will get it. But I don't think they will get any big fix releases 5.2.x after that without an active update plan, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
If the 5.2 beta is in your account, you are good to go until 5.3 for all minor versions/bug fixes. So all 5.2.x releases.

If you go to support and type in "upgrade plan" it clearly states this.

Cheers
"music is the best"

Be carefull with betas. Betas are not following upgrade plan logic and they will expire after a few weeks automatically! That means being able to load 5.2 beta does not make you eligible to get 5.2 full. I ran into this once: I started an One Synth Challenge Track with a beta, which means, it cannot be loaded with a predecessor version ... then first my upgrade plan expired then a few days later the beta. After expiring the beta refused to start! So be carefull with betas, they are outside the upgrade logic! I think beta version show the expiry date somewhere in the "info" section of the panel that opens on startup.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 am Be carefull with betas. Betas are not following upgrade plan logic and they will expire after a few weeks automatically! That means being able to load 5.2 beta does not make you eligible to get 5.2 full. I ran into this once: I started an One Synth Challenge Track with a beta, which means, it cannot be loaded with a predecessor version ... then first my upgrade plan expired then a few days later the beta. After expiring the beta refused to start! So be carefull with betas, they are outside the upgrade logic! I think beta version show the expiry date somewhere in the "info" section of the panel that opens on startup.
Sorry but for the case of Bitwig it has been established and confirmed that it is wrong.

The rule is: if the beta is out DURING YOUR plan, you WILL have access to the final version of this beta. Even if it is released AFTER your plan expires.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 am Be carefull with betas. Betas are not following upgrade plan logic and they will expire after a few weeks automatically!
And by then a new beta comes out.

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:55 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:12 am Be carefull with betas. Betas are not following upgrade plan logic and they will expire after a few weeks automatically!
And you WILL have access to these new beta. It is part of Bitwig EULAs...

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:10 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:55 am
And you WILL have access to these new beta. It is part of Bitwig EULAs...
I wrote what actually happend to me in 2022, One Synth Challenge 161. viewtopic.php?p=8483640#p8483640
That was not a made up story. I had to ask Richard of kvr team to open my project file with the regular new version of bitwig because the beta expired, without me eligible to get the regular version.
You can believe it or not. Take the risk if you want.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm You can believe it or not. Take the risk if you want.
It is not a matter of belief. Your experience is simply outdated. At one time the policy was that your account had to be active when a version was released. Now, if your account is active when the beta is announced, you get the full version when it is released, regardless of whether your account is active at that point. There is no longer any risk.

The behaviour around betas changed a little while back. It used to be that you only got the released version if your plan was active at the time the release happened. Now you get it as long as your plan was active when the beta started.

Return to “Bitwig”