The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

A few actually, many bigtone presets in many of the synths he has worked don't use pitchwheel for pitch bending (one of my few if not only criticism of his work).
Basically you set Wheel Bend to Zero and use it to modulate other things.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:57 pm A few actually, many bigtone presets in many of the synths he has worked don't use pitchwheel for pitch bending (one of my few if not only criticism of his work).
Basically you set Wheel Bend to Zero and use it to modulate other things.
rsp
Ah yes, good point. I'm still not used to being able to set bend range on some synths, and I would never of thought of that anyway :tu:

I tried the demo and deleted it later the same day. The Legend still doesn't sound the best without effects. Synapse Audio is just behind the curve for analog emulations now in terms of sound quality. If you add a bunch of effects LHZ sounds better, but you can do that with lots of synths. If you want an analog-style synth with lots of modulation, this is a great solution for that, certainly.

It was also easy to compare LHZ in mono mode vs Model 72, and 72 still mops the floor with LHZ when it comes to the raw sound to me. LHZ lacks the "punch" of Model 72, though LHZ is clearly better at pads :-)

I'm enjoying the new impOSCar3, for example, more than LHZ. And it also sounds better to me, overall, and at least as "analog" as LHZ if you dial up the Volume (soft sat) and Drive (hard sat).

LHZ is definitely a quality analog-style emulation for sound designers. People not fitting that, like myself, may want to look elsewhere.

I guess the original Minimoog Model D didn't sound "analog" enough either. I personally can't distinguish a Model D sound from the original The Legend. When I saw comparison videos they sounded the same to me. Or at least 99.9% similar, to the point that, in a blind test I wouldn't tell the difference or choose a preferred option consistently.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Wed May 15, 2024 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yorrrrrr wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:50 pm I guess the original Minimoog Model D didn't sound "analog" enough either. I personally can't distinguish a Model D from the original The Legend. When I saw comparison videos to me they sounded the same to me. Or at least 99.9% similar, to the point that, in a blind test I wouldn't tell the difference or choose a preferred option consistently.
The Legend didn't sound as good to me as Model 72 so I sold The Legend. Similarly, LHZ doesn't sound better than Model 72 in mono mode. In fact, I think LHZ didn't sound great without effects. Put it all together, and I'm not interested in LHZ. I'm glad they created a demo so I could learn for myself whether it was an instrument I'd want or not. And it's a "not really".

That's all I'm saying - just an opinion, not The Universal Truth For All. Not everyone has to love everything the same.

Unison Mode I , II not explained in manual?

Yorrrrrr wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:50 pm I guess the original Minimoog Model D didn't sound "analog" enough either. I personally can't distinguish a Model D sound from the original The Legend. When I saw comparison videos they sounded the same to me. Or at least 99.9% similar, to the point that, in a blind test I wouldn't tell the difference or choose a preferred option consistently.
They can sound very identical if you’re careful when setting up your sound, but they do have different parameter ranges. If I had to describe the difference, I’d say that Model 72 was a bit brighter, especially at higher resonance sounds. Model 72 has better feedback as well.

Frankly, I bought Model 72 to use inside Modular, and on its own, it’s filled with so many annoying things that I dislike using it. I applaud Synapse for giving it proper ADSR envelopes, even though I know the original didn’t have them. I think the UI is terrible, and even weird is that it doesn’t even really look like a Model D.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:25 pm I tried the demo and deleted it later the same day. The Legend still doesn't sound the best without effects. Synapse Audio is just behind the curve for analog emulations now in terms of sound quality. If you add a bunch of effects LHZ sounds better, but you can do that with lots of synths. If you want an analog-style synth with lots of modulation, this is a great solution for that, certainly.

It was also easy to compare LHZ in mono mode vs Model 72, and 72 still mops the floor with LHZ when it comes to the raw sound to me. LHZ lacks the "punch" of Model 72, though LHZ is clearly better at pads :-)

I'm enjoying the new impOSCar3, for example, more than LHZ. And it also sounds better to me, overall, and at least as "analog" as LHZ if you dial up the Volume (soft sat) and Drive (hard sat).

LHZ is definitely a quality analog-style emulation for sound designers. People not fitting that, like myself, may want to look elsewhere.
I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.

Even at that we're talking to different eras of analogue. Fundamentally ImpOscar sounds like an 80s synth and LHZ sounds like a 70s synth.

If I want thick soupy analogue pads or bone shattering bass it's going to be LHZ all the way.

If I want aggressive cutting leads or bright airy pads it's ImpOscar.

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:14 am
I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.
it seems to me that it is only due to their being released at nearly the same time and thus are competing for the same limited purchasing power.

:shrug:

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:14 am I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.
But they're no longer accurate representations of their original analog starting point?
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:18 am
kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:14 am I still don't understand why the comparison between ImpOscar and LHZ outside of them being both loosely based on analogue tech.
But they're no longer accurate representations of their original analog starting point?
They're more than accurate enough for their purposes.

The hyperbole about what are essentially miniscule differences is ridiculous.

As someone said above 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell these synths from their counterparts in any practical application.

It's not like either of them are just digital synths with analogue synth skins.

The Legend still can sound extremely like a minimoog and ImpOscar can sound extremely like an Osc Oscar.

JamminFool wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 am
it seems to me that it is only due to their being released at nearly the same time and thus are competing for the same limited purchasing power.

That's true but in terms of their sound/purpose it's a weird comparison.

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:23 am The hyperbole about what are essentially miniscule differences is ridiculous.
Adding four MSEG's a mod matrix three additional oscillators, or adding modern wavetables, is not miniscule differences.
<list your stupid gear here>

kraster wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:25 am
JamminFool wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 am

That's true but in terms of their sound/purpose it's a weird comparison.
i totally agree.

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:18 am
They are if you don't use the additional parts

Return to “Instruments”